Is anyone running the ACR oil filter adapter on a Gen 2.

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a leaky oil pan gasket, so since I have to pull the pan anyway I was looking for a few oiling updates that can be done to the earlier GTSs. I am aware of the 10 qt pan which I am currently trying to source and the trap door kit that can be had easily. Apparently the early GTS had a smaller return line, but information seems to harder to come by on that one. Does anyone run the filter adapter?

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck with the filter adapter. I have been told they are un-obtainable.

IF you find one and there are any extras let me know.

Additionally I have a used 10 qt oil pan

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 10 qt., trap door setup and the rare ACR adapter. Oil pressure def. goes up with the ACR adapter. Scharfs will have a 10 qt pan.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you have a specific question about the adapter, I have one on my car.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty much, is it worth it? Although now I have found these are impossible to come by. I'm surprised the aftermarket never filled that void.
if you track your car regularly then probably yes. VPA had one awhile ago, might wanna check

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It should not affect the normal oil pressure, but, I believe it has something to do with the pressure relief or bypass path. Can someone explain exactly what the ACR adapter does.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put one on my car and I think there was a "How To" write up on the site at one time. I do believe it was the way the bypass scheme operated. It does not look a lot different from the outside.

That's a good question, I can't even find a picture of what it looks like

OP
OP
T

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a link from around two years ago where Viper Specialty was making one, but I haven't been able to figure out if he ever went through with it. I'm at the point right now that if I can figure out what it looks like and how it works I may try to configure one myself.

Besides the trap door modification, 10qt pan and ACR adapter, would there be anything else that would help oiling during track use? The Autobahn in Joliet is relatively close to my house, and having a Viper And a nice track close is too much of a coincidence to not take advantage of. Tires are on the list and brakes as soon as the finances allow it.

Last edited:

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if you really want to take oiling to the next level you could spend big bucks and put in a dry sump system :)

OP
OP
T

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if you really want to take oiling to the next level you could spend big bucks and put in a dry sump system :)

No, not in the cards right now. What I'm looking to do isn't overly expensive for a little more protection and piece of mind. I will never be fast enough on a track to warrant the outlaw of money. But from what I have read you don't need to be that fast to find the flaws I the stock set up. Some extra oil and keeping it where it needs to be should be good enough for right now. We have to fabricate a lot of hydraulic and pneumatic systems at work, so I figured if I could find the right parts, the oil filter adapter couldn't be that hard to put together.

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year when i ran at autobahn, my car got very hot- id suggest shrouding the radiator this winter if you have the time. its a cheap mod and will help you at the track. maybe my tune had something to do with my heat issue, but it cant hurt to improve cooling. i am adding an air to water IC and an aluminum radiator this winter among other things but i will be at autobahn several times this year. the chicago audi club rents the track out for in may 3 days, sat, sun mon--- its north track, south track and then full track on monday- i joined audi club just so i could attend this event. you can get into the monday full track thru "Laps" inc if you wanted as well. blackhawk near rockford is a fun track too thats local. audi club has a weekend there too. IL viper club has 2 full track days at ABCC as well. worth joining just for their events too. maybe ill see you there!

Reaction score
I had a trap door oil pan and ACR filter adapter on my ACR but blew my engine on turn nine at Willow Springs, CA - wide right turn high speed sweeper. The fun ended when a loud thunk occurred. I installed an Accusump.com oil sump (poor man's dry sump) as part of the rebuild and problem was cured. Check it out. It produces about 3 quarts or thirty seconds of oil when needed.

If you are running Hoosiers and more HPs, this may be a consideration to save twelve-to-fifteen thousand dollars. Just sayin'.

Ryan_DSA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ryan @Scharfs here, we have a couple kickin around, i will have pics in a couple minutes. basically one has a temperature thermostat that only allows oil to the cooler after a certain temp, other wise it bypasses the cooler. the type you are looking for has no thermostat and oil goes to the cooler all of the time

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one installed years ago. Oil pressure did go up, even at idle. The other thing I remember being notified of, that the AC may not perform as well when sitting in traffic. However, I haven't really noticed any problem with it the few times I have been stuck in traffic.

Ryan_DSA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sure can, trying to verify a price and quantity but we have at least one of them instock, i ll put your name on it. the pressure increase would be it not having to flow all the different directions through the thermostat and through the oil cooler, its taking away the thermostat as a restriction. as the thermostat should just be a lounger that redirects oil through the bypass or to the cooler.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ryan. It's no hurry as we have a lot white stuff on the ground right now so I know it will a few months before it sees the light of day. But definitely put my name on it please.

Greg99, thanks, I will have to look into these. I figured the more insurance I have on the oiling side the better before I even think about building a motor, which is in the thinking process right now.

ViperJohn, that's what I have hearing is the Pros and cons to it. Traffic where I live is 5 cars at the same light and we only have three in town, so it's something I can live with.

Thanks for all the advice, now lets see what pans out.

zombiesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any way to remove the thermostat from the factory setup if that's the only difference between the two?

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sure can, trying to verify a price and quantity but we have at least one of them instock, i ll put your name on it. the pressure increase would be it not having to flow all the different directions through the thermostat and through the oil cooler, its taking away the thermostat as a restriction. as the thermostat should just be a lounger that redirects oil through the bypass or to the cooler.

Hey Ryan I'm interested as well.

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, these still seem to be readily available from Mopar as well, albeit not terribly cheap. While the original part number shows limited stock since being discontinued, the superseding part number shows for the 1999-2000 ACR but doesn't list a part number for the 2001 or 2002 ACR. In Ryan's first picture above, the one on the right is the standard adapter showing for all 1996-2002 Vipers (Mopar has one left in stock as of this writing). For the ACR, Mopar is showing several in stock.

As we don't want to take any sales away from Ryan or Paul Scharf, we will only post the link for the adapter gasket that you will probably want to purchase as well:

https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com...ge-viper-oil-filter-adapter-gasket-05245086ac

If/when they run out of the adapters themselves, give us a call!

OP
OP
T

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VPA, thanks. I don't consider it taking sales away. If more than one vendor has the part, more than one person might be interested in the part. Ryan hasn't got back to me yet, I told him it was not a hurry and it isn't but if more of these pop up, I'm sure enough there is enough interest to sell several. Can you PM me a price?

Last edited:
Reaction score
We know different vendors have different ways of reaching them best, with some (like us) not logging into the forums as often as we probably should. We know Don Scharf Automotive is best reached by phone (715-479-8597) while we are usually quickest on email. PM sent nonetheless... :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21