Is it normal for a viper to go uphill (slowly) without touching the gas pedal?

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys i was in my car with my friend on a uphill street. My friend obvously loves the viper but when i told him my viper will propel forward if i take my foot off the clutch even WITHOUT touching the gas pedal he called bull****.

SO with BOTH of us sitting the car (more weight as he weight almost 200 pounds) i went to an uphill street, enough where in nutrel the car would roll backwards.

I stopped the car completely put it in first gear then slowly let my foot off the clutch and the car started moving UPHILL with both me and my friend in the car without me touching the gas pedal. He was amazed. he said hes never seen any other stick do that.

My question is this a normal thing for a viper to do? can all vipers do that ? i have a little flip camera so i was thinking of of filming the car doing it. anyway like i said he was amazed by this and because this is my first viper i just thought it was normal.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The only Vipers that wont do this are the cars with VERY light flywheels and low idle speeds. Other than that, all others will.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing the "old timers" and experts always tell people new to Vipers is "respect the torque." These cars have a ton of it from idle on so they differ from most other "muscle cars" that require RPM's to develope their torque. Sadely, many have found that out the hard way. It's so important to learn the cars capabilities and limits, as well as your own, before "pushing the envelope." On a track at Viper days is one of the safest and best ways to extend yourself and learn those limits. If you're not willing to do that expect bad results if your right foot gets heavy. Pushing it on the street is stupid any time. Many of us are fortunate to have survived and learned from our moments of stupidity. The truly smart people learn from the mistakes of other people and don't repeat them.:eater::eater:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my car does it too , albeit it has a 4.10 rear;).
My lowly Stang does it too on somewhat less grade in first gear ; 3.27 ,rear end 3.73 .

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was amazed. he said hes never seen any other stick do that.

He must be an ameture considering most sticks can do this on flat ground and most cars with decent power are also capable of doing it uphill too.

What makes the viper different is that it has so much torque that you can continue shifting to 2nd then to 3rd still with NO gas. Im sure that will knock you friends socks off.:)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its also a great car to teach someone how to drive a stick. no need for a clutch to start and they are always afraid of the car so they always go easy on the gas.

i taught my wife on the 2nd day i owned it and 2 friends

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Dodge Ram will do this as well... especially with the Cummins! And it will go a step further and can do a no fuel pedal burnout... Yes, first gear, let clutch engage, slowly step down on the brake... the engine will hold 700rpm and the rear wheels will do the worlds slowest burnout... Wouldn't recommend on a truck you love, but it's a spectacular demo. On the cummins the reason is, it has full fuel authority at idle rpm, so once it bogs below 700 it can go to full fuel to hold 700rpm the turbo spools up and everything, all this with no pedal... :) It make them great for teaching driving stick too... though I was proven wrong once that an amateur couldn't stall one... clutch pops at idle will still bring it to it's knees.