Is it normal for the ACR suspension to make a "popping" noise?

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it normal for the ACR suspension to make a \"popping\" noise?

I have a 2001 ACR. When I drive over small/sharp bumps, the suspension (particularly, the rear) makes a "popping" or "clunking" noise. I have been told by various people that this noise is coming from the ACR-specific shocks and is normal. Is it?

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Is it normal for the ACR suspension to make a

Yes, do you want to trade for my non-popping GTS ones :cool:

Just kidding, maybe the resevoirs are lose.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know that earlier ACRs had a clunking or rattling problem, but I thought that was fixed by 2001. Chuck "ViperWizard" Tator has extensive knowledge of this problem.

David

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I've got a 2001 ACR -- no clunks or pops from the suspension... Check obvious stuff, like spare tire and jack. ACR's are very stiff in the rear and stuff like that could clunk if not screwed down real tight. As for the suspension and rear end itself, there are numerous postings here which address this -- but a quick inspection by a Viper wizard will find the fix.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Is it normal for the ACR suspension to make a \"popping\" noise?

A>American
C>Car
R>Rattler
;)

John,
If you would like, give em a call and I can walk you through the suspension and what to check for.

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck,

Thanks for the input, and I appreciate your willingness to help. I will give you a call for some additional insight. FYI, I assumed it was normal, since both sides (especially at the rear) do it.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

At crawl a speed over a slight bumps, I get a loud sound like the rear hatch is hitting the body. Loud enough for the girlfriend to notice. Car hasn't come apart on the highway at speed yet so I'm just ignoring it.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is a part of the body that will pop when slowly going over bumps or inclines at an angle. That is very different from the rattle you hear from the ACR shocks.

HOLD TYTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My GTS started that after I had Eibach Pro springs installed and the shocks adjusted.. my tech says it's because the springs were shorter and they unload then clank on the support when they reload.. I was thinking about getting helper springs to eliminate this problem.. Any thoughts??? anyone??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razorwire