Is it ok to bring the Viper to a Jeep dealership for service??

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

After what happened to my 98 GTS(one of the local dealer stole my car and crashed it), I need to look for some other dealership to take my car for servicing. Besides my previous dealership, there's a Jeep dealer which is pretty close to where I live. Because I don't want to drive so far to another big Chrysler dealership which is located about an hour from where I live. My question is, can a Jeep dealer have the ability to service or work on the Viper? I'm sure it's of no use for me to ask that dealership this question, because for sure they will say they have the expert or ability to work on a viper simply they want your business. So, can any one of you who have the experience taking your viper to a Jeep dealership give me some advice? Or is it still better to drive the extra miles and head to a big Chrysler dealership??
Thanks a bunch!

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
Little hint...

I took my Viper to my Jeep dealer for an oil change, and ended up doing it myself. The mechanic couldn't figure out how to open the hood...

Save yourself the trouble, do it yourself.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Runnr,

I happen to be vey friendly with my Jeep dealer since over 10 years.
I know very well the service manager,the parts manager and the mechanics's supervisor.(He his an SCCA worker that as a matter of fact is going to come to my office next week to tech my new race car and give me a logbook after stamping ther roll cage)

I am saying that just to point out that what is important is not the brand/type of dealership but the people that work there.

Regarding opening the hood.

Since Viper hood opening is very different from all other cars,the only thing it prove is that they never had a viper before.

As far that I know, an oil change is done exactly the same way on ALL cars,trucks,etc.

You remove the oil pan drain plug,drain the oil, put the plug back on, remove the filter, put a new 1 on (with oil in it) and add the required quantity of oil. BIG DEAL!!!

The service manager told me that Dodge will let them do any work on a Viper,including warrenty work,as long that they don't need a Viper specific tool that they don't have.

A Viper is a very SIMPLE car to work on.

Bottom line,a good mechanic, being a Jeep one or for this matter ANY good mechanic will have no problem working on a Viper or any other cars/trucks.

I have a bunch of cars/trucks/bikes,from Japan,Europe,Usa,including race cars and do 99% of the work myself and I can tell you that save for the brand/model specific torque # and required adjustments, they ALL work ont he same mechanical and electical principles.

The only real difference is that if you work all the time on the same brand/model, diagnostic and repair is a little faster.

Luc.00GTS

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the two things I would watch out for with a non-Dodge service center:

I would be careful that whoever is doing the actual servicing understands how to open & close the hood without tweeking it or be there to do it yourself.

Also, my Dodge service center has a special lift for working on Vipers and refuse to put them up on their standard lifts. I'm not sure what the difference is (other than being a drive on lift with the width to handle the tires) I don't know if there would be much risk of them trying to raise it on a standard body lift and doing damage.

Personally, I would either make the drive or do it myself rather than risk it.

--- Ken Hahn
'01 GTS

OP
OP
P

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys!!! I guess I'll probably drive that extra miles to the other Chrysler dealership then. Guess it will be worth it afterall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rot8te