Is it OK to drive your Viper to a wake / funeral ?

Blade Runner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think driving to the wake would be OK. The grave site I would prefer something more subdued. I do agree with Chuck 98 when it's my time I would like a Viper parade.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I voted no in this instance, I'm with Chuck. When it's my time, I would love for as many cool cars as possible to show up and make a ruckus, 'cause that's what I'm about.

Chad

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You people are making way too much of this. I drove my Viper to my friend's mother's funeral the other year (basically a 3rd mom to me), as well as my grandmother's funeral a couple of months ago, and it is not an issue. In each case, I drove it to the preceding viewing, which perhaps minimized any minimal effect. It is my daily driver, and in each case, the funerals were a couple hours away, and I was going to be in that area for additional time before / after the funerals, as well. The only time I see that you *might* not want to are if you attended somebody's funeral that virtually no one else knew you at, so you might want to stay low-key. In each of my aforementioned instances, many at each funeral knew of my car, but many did not. There was some conversation at each about it, but fairly minimal, and let's face it, at most viewings, follow-up receptions(?), etc., people are talking about most everything BUT the deceased, because you can't sit there and dwell on it the entire time.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Is it OK to drive your Viper to a wake / funeral ?

I agree. People will proably want to even take a picture of your Viper at the wake...bad timing!!!

Reaction score
Re: Is it OK to drive your Viper to a wake / funeral ?

The way I look at it, it's a celebration of life, your friends,,, take it, be cool and say goodbye to your friend, he loves you and wants you to bring it, the tears and laughter will be there for all

Rest in Peace

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have driven Vipers , Prowlers and Corvettes and various MOPAR Muscle to funerals and showings, mainly because thats all I own is sports cars/muscle cars.....I have never noticed any undue attention focused on the cars.....many don't even notice....just be respectful, civil and don't worry about it.......

on another note...several years ago a car buddy of mine passed away and we had the biggest cruise in and parade of hot rods/muscle cars you could imagine....the funeral procession had nearly 50 hot cars, many with uncapped headers just for Bill....we took over 3 lanes of a 4 lane highway and ran 3 abreast and nearly 20 rows deep, just hot rods and customs('32 coupes, chopped Mercs, HEMICUDAS and Vipers)....looked like the Daytona 500 pace lap.....I am sure he was having one last chuckle....

That just brought tears to my eyes... Wonderful.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do it, you might make someones day, anything to relieve the stress of the day.

Ill never forget the first funeral I went to, it was my godmothers brother, Here comes this new saphire blue Lambo Espada in the procession, in the late 60's early 70's this was the closest thing to a moon rocket, when those four guys in suits stepped out WOW! The unwise could have cared less, but it stirred a passion in me that I still have to this day.

I always drive something cool regardless of the deceased was an enthusiast or not. Everyone can use the diversion

FrankTHutchens

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank,

No offense, but you don't own a Viper, do you? The Viper draws crowds of people at every turn. I have owned Vettes, and I would not hesitate to bring a 1974 or newer one to a funeral. It draws very little attention, as you see so many on the road. Same goes for Mercedes and the Hummer H2.

I would not bring a Viper or a Hummer H1 to a funeral. These cars create to much stir and attention. Some other cars that come to mind would be a Lambo or Ferrari. The Viper is not the only car that creates a stir, but it is one in a small group of cars. And it's the car we own, hence the question.

Quit being a 'hater...

Frank owns a Viper, and has owned 2 before..

You're It

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, it's a freakin' car. Drive it, If it has an extraordinarily loud exhaust, keep the revs low.

The funeral is about you remembering and celebrating your friend/relative. Not about worrying about what car you are driving.

OP
OP
B

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that BAD VPR said it best when he wrote " The day is not about you, it's about him and his family." I agree 100 % and I certainly didn't want it to be about me. I wanted to drive the Viper because for me it helps make a bad day better. Anyway here's what i did. After reading everybodys advice, which I greatly appreciated, I drove the Viper to the wake, drove in the rear entrance, and parked behind the funeral home out of sight. I didn't go profiling past the main entrance. Only a couple people saw me drive in and no one mentioned the car to me while I was there. I had to wait in line for over one hour before I got to pay my respects to my good friend. As I waited in line it made me feel better knowing that when this was over I would be able to get in my Viper and drive away. I hope that doesn't sound strange or that I was being disrespectful to my passed friend because in no way was it meant like that. I didn't drive the car to the funeral because it would have been hard to keep a low profile there. I hope everyone understands and thanks to all for your input.

Bo

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm only 35, but when I go, I too want someone to do burnouts in the parking lot for me, and have as many loud cars as possible.
:)
Thanks in advance.
:cool:

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely not. The Viper is all about getting attention.
A funeral is all about supporting loved ones and friends. It doesn't matter whether it cheers you up or not. It's not about you.

Go for a ride upon returning home from the funeral.

And yes, my Viper is black, and I still wouldn't do it.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank,

I just assumed you never owned one, since you compared the Viper to a Vette or Mercedes. Do you not have people screaming at your Viper when driving (I hate this, as it startles me), taking pictures, hooting and hollering, etc...? I just don't see how any Viper owner can compare the attention this car draws next to a Vette or Merc.? Do you not experience this when driving the Viper? It is fun at times, but can be a little overwhelming at times... And I personally would not want this attention at a funeral.

OP
OP
B

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too would like to go on record as saying that when my time comes, at my wake and funeral I hope that as many Vipers, muscle cars, motorcycles, ect. show up as possible. And If someone had it in their heart to do a farewell burn out rest assured that as I lay there in that coffin and heard that engine roar and those tires squeal the corners of my mouth would turn up ever so slightly in one last smile !!

::smirk
Bo

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have had to attend too many over the last few years, The last 3 had the race cars @ the funeral homes!. At one, his wife asked for a moment of silence, then we heard one lap of lemans over the PA! We were all instructed to bring a "toast" And thats what we did! On the way to the cematary,It was lead by his car & a nice smokey burnout!. What a way to go. Then we sprinkled his ashes @ Road atlanta befor a big club race. I know I wasnt the only one with tears in his helmut.

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In this case I wouldn't, but for the record everybody better drive their Vipers to my funeral.

I couldn't agree more. As a matter of fact, I told my wife just yesterday that I want to be shown at my funeral IN MY GTS with my hands on the wheel and a smile on my face. :headbang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang