Is it possible...

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible to accidently throw the car into reverse when you are aiming for fifth gear? I always get scared that I am going to when I am accelerating hard.

Mike

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you can actually get it in, but you could hit it if you try hard enough.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would make a bad grinding sound. It will not go into reverse under those conditions, even if you miss the correct gate.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reverse lockout solinoid would be engaged at speeds over 10mph (IIRC, maybe 15). You would not be able to achieve a gear change to R, especially if you are crusing in 4th already.

If you ever are sitting still, and cannot get the car into R, check the fuse for the RLS..it most likely has blown, keeping the solinoid "stuck" closed.

MM

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you can really get it into R in almost any car. I "slightly" experimented once. I was going 40 on a local road (5th gear cruis) in my 91 Mazda 323 hatch. I tried a light pull back into the R gate just to see if it would grind (with my foot feathering the clutch of course), no response from the R gate.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the year though. I believe my 93 has no reverse lock out. I think this feature was added mid '93.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang