Is it the runcraps?

jimmy6383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was 40ish and sunny today and here in Michigan I'm taking advantage of every semi nice day I have left. So, I washed the car and drove it through the neighborhood to the stop sign on the main drag. That's when I eased into the gas and sent the car sliding sideways! And when I say eased, I mean eased. Literally the engine never went over 1800 RPMs! And I didn't drop the clutch or anything. It scared the hell out of me. I was nervous to accelerate after that. It is my first cold season with the Viper and I was just curious if it is always this bad or maybe the water on the tires from washing combined with the cold? Just never expected it to be that bad!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cold weather can contribute to this, as well as some moisture on the tires.

Two things happen, first the tires have less traction in the cold, and your engine makes more torque and has quicker throttle response.

Some of the runflats are now 5 years old and can be getting very hard.:drive:

Fast Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not only the tires, but maybe the road was oily or had some coolant spill at one point or something. It's happened to me a few times also. But yes the runflats contributed to it probably.

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me on Saturday. It was about 50 here and there was a Z06 on my left and a WRX on my right at the stoplight. All three of us took off, but I lost traction in 1st, so I shifted into 2nd and the Viper felt like it was starting to spin out. Luckily when I eased off the gas, I got control back pretty quickly.

The Z06 and WRX didn't have any trouble at all with traction.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have toi remember..At only 1800 rpm's you probally have 300 rwhp and 350 rwt SAE..

Dosent sound like much but that would be more rwhp and rwt SAE that a fully reved out 1997-2004 C5 vette..

So even though you were low in the revs the tqe can still bite you easily. I almost wrecked my first viper twice in the first week of ownership just rolling out from stop sighns. And ultimatly did wreck it on the 1-2 shift on the freeway a year later after I thought I had mastered it.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive had it with runflats, Ive had it with PS2's, when its cold out 60 degrees and below, it is slippery out. Its very easy to spin up or get sideways.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was 40ish and sunny today and here in Michigan I'm taking advantage of every semi nice day I have left. So, I washed the car and drove it through the neighborhood to the stop sign on the main drag. That's when I eased into the gas and sent the car sliding sideways! And when I say eased, I mean eased. Literally the engine never went over 1800 RPMs! And I didn't drop the clutch or anything. It scared the hell out of me. I was nervous to accelerate after that. It is my first cold season with the Viper and I was just curious if it is always this bad or maybe the water on the tires from washing combined with the cold? Just never expected it to be that bad!

MAKE SURE you have 34 pounds air "cold" tire pressure...that will help overcome the "riding on rails" the stiff sidewalls of the runflats provides and give your tires a chance to work for you.

-J

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a full 360 here on a 28 degree evening on a 4 lane road and when that happens you Crap yourself!! I pulled out onto the road and was going up hill when I eased it into second and gave it some gas.... next thing was me doing a big spin on the road. After that experience I never and I mean never let Mr. Happy Foot pound the throttle when the temp is under 45 anymore. I see tires like chewing gum. When it's cold they are hard as rock, they have got to be warm to be sticky.

Anyway don't let that experience play head games with you, get back out and drive. :drive:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
...MAKE SURE you have 34 pounds air "cold" tire pressure...that will help overcome the "riding on rails" the stiff sidewalls of the runflats provides and give your tires a chance to work for you....

I think the above suggestion is a typo. I would NOT suggest thisfor the reasons cited on RunFlats 18-19 SRT10.

The tread sipes of the RunFlats indeed retained MOISTURE.
Neighborhood drive it came to the surface, seeped out to the contact patch at Stop Sign.

You know the rest. Would PS-2 help here? Some. Would PS-2 help overall? ALOT!

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the above suggestion is a typo. I would NOT suggest thisfor the reasons cited on RunFlats 18-19 SRT10.

The tread sipes of the RunFlats indeed retained MOISTURE.
Neighborhood drive it came to the surface, seeped out to the contact patch at Stop Sign. {actually, it is quite likely the contact patch was not at its maximum due to insufficient tire pressure and the moisture 'coated' the portion of the contact patch that is under the sidewalls ---hence - riding on rails in the wet}

You know the rest. Would PS-2 help here? Some. Would PS-2 help overall? ALOT!

Dear Jon,

I think running the ZPs (proper name) at less than 32lbs cold in cold weather is just begging for trouble regardless of the moisture content of the roadway. Remember, the ZPs have very stiff sidewalls, and the "stock" pressure of 29lbs is unsafe and unless you are diligent about maintaining 'cold' tire pressure it is likely to fall off (all tires lose air over time) and his tire pressure may, just may have been in the 25-27lbs range.

Running the higher pressure helps ensure the 'contact patch' of the tire is at its maximum and thus my recommendation. This presumes the tire will heat up as you drive (even if it is a cold day, the tire pressure starting at 32-34 will likely go up 4-6lbs depending on how you are driving - highway vs city.

In fact, if you are going to be driving in continously wet weather (where the tire will likely never heat up due to the relief provided by the constant flow of moisture) I would put them at 37-38lbs to help the tread a little more but not too much to help provide as much drainage ability the tire will allow.

-J

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the PS2's with my Paxton car.... It made huge difference...

I have 3.55's... So you still have to becareful...

But if you do it right... They hook up waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy better than the
runflats......

The ride is sooo much better even with the new 19/20 setup I have...

No more being thrown over to another lane because of a groove in the road...

Also...

Everytime I wash the car.. The tires always are slick.....I used to burn it off for fun... with the runcraps... PS2's still do the same, but are still noticably better...

Joe

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have PS2's and 3.55's.

On warm days, from a roll in first, my car will hook and go.

In cooler weather (60's and below), especially once the sun goes down, I can squeeze on it in 2nd and go sideways! Though once the tires warm up, 2nd digs in well (so far!).:drive:

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have NITTO Invo's in stock sizes front and rear, and they hook well. Its pretty cold here in NYC (must be 40's or less), and I just got back from a quick drive through manhattan, no slids or spins.

I got caught in the rain last night, coming back from CT, and no spins at all.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
jimmy, i sent mine sideways last weekend because of the cold. slippery when cold out. just be a little more cautious and get better tires. it takes a lot to tame a beast!

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just be carefull for the first twenty minutes or so in temps under 50. It scared the crap out of me the first time it happened to me with the run flats. I do agree with the idea of adding a little more air that normal. It helped me out a lot. I'm trying to burn mines out in order to get some ps2's