Is my car going to explode?

Motivated

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About two months ago I ordered a fuel filter from the local Dodge dealer and replaced it on my 97 GTS. Let me say what a wonderful way to get acquainted with the underside of my snake, and the taste of gas:crazy2: It wasnt fun but I finished and all was well. Fast foward to this past saturday when I am installing my new radio. I have to turn the key onto acc a few times in succession to test the unit and make sure all functions well. Just when the wiring appears to be in order and I turn the key to acc to test the radio I hear a big splash like a bucket of water dumping on the ground. I immediately discover it was gas and that my fuel line had burst at the top connection on the fuel filter. I threw a bucket under the car after removing the rear wheel to catch the gas (mower was out anyway :D) and tried to connect the filter again. It clicked and i primed the fuel system only to hear an even louder bursting sound and more mower fuel... I used a pick tool to modify the clips inside the filter and reconnected it successfuly. The line held thru a full tank of gas on sunday. My question is how common is this, should I replace the filter out of paranoia? Or should all be well?

I wasnt able to find any specific examples of my situation searching the forum and this situation makes me too nervous to drive my car.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its been a while since i messed with mine but id assume your problem is the hose or line, not the filter.

id double check the lines and forget it.

OP
OP
M

Motivated

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the reason I lean towards the filter for being suspect is because the line going into the filter on the top side is just a straight pipe with a collar. The quick disconnect assembly is on the filter itself on that end.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The replacement filter I have on my bench right now comes with a new plastic clip for the inlet side. You remove the old clip with the metal tangs on it from the factory fuel line and replace it with the new plastic two-pronged clip. I actually have the entire line from the tank to the filter removed due to upgrading the stock system. It is really a pretty cheap and simple system to include the filter connections.

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My concern would be that you had to "modify" the clips to get it connected. I don't have a lot of experience with this particular filter, but that alone would make me want to have a professional check it out, especially if your not 100% comfortable with it. A gas leak is a quick and simple way to burn your car (and maybe your house) down...

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg:Make certain that the line connecting the filter to your tank was not damaged. See Illustrated Upgrades on Fuel Filter replacement - my experience. Hopefully, this is not what your problem is!

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make certain that the line connecting the filter to your tank was not damaged. See Illustrated Upgrades on Fuel Filter replacement - my experience. Hopefully, this is not what your problem is!

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This happened to me when I replaced my fuel filter. It was because it was not locked in all the way. Reconnected it with firmer pressure and it's been fine since.

OP
OP
M

Motivated

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This happened to me when I replaced my fuel filter. It was because it was not locked in all the way. Reconnected it with firmer pressure and it's been fine since.

I think that might be what happened, I might not have had all four of the clips inside the fitting engaged before. When I "modified" the filter all i did was use a pick tool to bend out the clips a little more to hopefully get a tighter connection. I just wanted to make sure no one else had seen this become an ongoing issue and that none of the dealers were aware a of common failure issue with the part. seems most likely my fault, just needed to engage the fitting better i suspect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang