Is my hood closed properly? Help welcomed!

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To find out if it is closed properly, put the car in reverse and drive as fast as possible (130+ is best). If the hood disengages from the vehicle, stop, recover the hood and try again.
laugh.gif

Seriously, I have seen simular problems with my hood when I did not close it with enough force. Just make certain you place your hands over the cross member in the front of the hood. It is about 10 inches from the front (reach under the hood to find it, it is quite obvious). You should not have to "slam" it shut.

Ron

GATOR SERPENT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 94 I had a similar problem after in for some work. The hood was sitting down too far on one side. Under the hood, I think on yours too, there is a round rubber bumper the hood rests on when you close it. Your "bumper" might be up too high. All you need to do is turn it down by hand. I hope that is it. Good luck.

silverviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best way to know if your hood is latched properly is:

close hood, grab side of hood at wheel well, gently pull
upward, repeat on other side.

If the hood rises up at all when you lift, it isn't yet
latched properly.

Cheers.

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GATOR SERPENT:
You should be able to adjust that by turning down the bumper knobs as stated before. My 2cents

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be careful about doing this. If you lower these hood stops, make sure that the corners of the hood's leading edge ("tear ducts") don't contact the headlights. It is possible to crack off the little corners if you aren't careful. When I first got my car, the leading edge of the hood was flush with the fascia. I also noticed that my hood was a bit hard to close. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the hood was rubbing against the headlights. Not good. To correct this I moved the latches up just a tiny bit. I also raised the stops to match. The end result was no more rubbing, but now the hood is slightly higher than the fascia (just like SOCRATES). No big deal.

Hope this helps.