Is there an actual problem modding an 08(pcm issues)

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read many threads lately concerning the 08 pcms and some in the past saying the 08 pcm were giving them issues while doing some basic mods.

Sorry if this is a repost, but trying to figure out if heads/cam or even basic exhaust is possible without causing the pcm to seize.

I see people complaining about the drive by wire and I know the Mopar pcm is being released, but I just wanted to know if anyone has modded their 08 and if they have had any pcm issues. I cant recall the thread a month or 2 ago but it seemed someone was reaching a certain hp point and the pcm was maybe shutting things down???

Thanks
J

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read many threads lately concerning the 08 pcms and some in the past saying the 08 pcm were giving them issues while doing some basic mods.

Sorry if this is a repost, but trying to figure out if heads/cam or even basic exhaust is possible without causing the pcm to seize.

I see people complaining about the drive by wire and I know the Mopar pcm is being released, but I just wanted to know if anyone has modded their 08 and if they have had any pcm issues. I cant recall the thread a month or 2 ago but it seemed someone was reaching a certain hp point and the pcm was maybe shutting things down???

Thanks
J

On the 2008+ Vipers, the Belanger headers and exhaust will yield an approximately 50 rear wheel horsepower gain and are designed not to cause any check engine lights. I have a set on my 08 that I ordered from Jon B at Parts Rack and have been very pleased with the sound, performance and looks of the system. That header and exhaust combination is one of the few mods out there that will work with the stock ECU programming. The new Mopar ECU, however, is designed to allow further modifications without CELs. The downside to the Mopar ECU is that it requires 93 octane to realize its full potential.

/Rich

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks
J
Even with the new Mopar Pcm i dont think you can touch the heads because the computer will throw a check engine light (detects increased air-flow )A permin check engine light on an 08 can mean BIG TROUBLE .(Say goodbye to the factory warranty-customer installed perf part .Also try getting rid of an 90000 car with the CHE light on )

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the 2008+ Vipers, the Belanger headers and exhaust will yield an approximately 50 rear wheel horsepower gain and are designed not to cause any check engine lights. I have a set on my 08 that I ordered from Jon B at Parts Rack and have been very pleased with the sound, performance and looks of the system. That header and exhaust combination is one of the few mods out there that will work with the stock ECU programming. The new Mopar ECU, however, is designed to allow further modifications without CELs. The downside to the Mopar ECU is that it requires 93 octane to realize its full potential.

/Rich
Hey Rich, do you have any pics of your headers, etc?

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Rich, do you have any pics of your headers, etc?

Here you go:

2008_Viper_w_Belanger_Headers_Exhaust_6_11_08_05.JPG

2008_Viper_w_Belanger_Headers_Exhaust_6_11_08_031.JPG

Belanger_sidepipe_kit_high_flow_cats_w_black_tips_03.jpg

Belanger_Mopar_2008_Headers_03.JPG

Note that I had Belanger custom paint the matte black exhaust tips; the system ordinarily has a shiny metallic finish on the exhaust tip.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
freaking love it! thanks man, i have got to get some of those. thank you for taking time to do that

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the headers are awesome... rich has set #1 i believe and i have serial #002.. NOW i have had the check engine light come on twice due to the headers.. the code is inefficient cats.. basically in cold weather and low rpm the 02 sensor detects unburnt fuel i believe... the dealer cleared the code first time and i just did it myself the second time..... i would not let this you deter you in anyway from the header purchase...

The instance where the pcm shut the engine down was not with the headers , it was with NOS i believe

PS rich just likes showing off his cute red sox

i am a sockless guy myself and the tips don't look half bad either

V21.JPG

v2.JPG

V11.JPG

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the headers are awesome... rich has set #1 i believe and i have serial #002.. NOW i have had the check engine light come on twice due to the headers.. the code is inefficient cats.. basically in cold weather and low rpm the 02 sensor detects unburnt fuel i believe... the dealer cleared the code first time and i just did it myself the second time..... i would not let this you deter you in anyway from the header purchase...

The instance where the pcm shut the engine down was not with the headers , it was with NOS i believe

PS rich just likes showing off his cute red sox

i am a sockless guy myself and the tips don't look half bad either

V21.JPG

v2.JPG

V11.JPG
thanks! what type of exhaust tips are you running? are your wheels the factory wheels? i hope mine are that shiny when it gets here! do you think the cell could be eliminated by getting the rear 02 sensor for the cat out of the exhaust stream to make it think the cats are working ok? (basically a mechanical sym)

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those tips are standard on the belanger headers/cats/magnaflow system

Removing the 02 sensor is something woodhouse will have to answer, it's way simpler just to remove the code yourself with an actron.. another vca member suggested this to me as he has been doing the same thing

NO you rims will not be that shiny

Last edited:

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those tips are standard on the belanger headers/cats/magnaflow system

Removing the 02 sensor is something woodhouse will have to answer, it's way simpler just to remove the code yourself with an actron.. another vca member suggested this to me as he has being doing the same thing

NO you rims will not be that shiny
ok, cool. i didnt think the magnaflow system was available yet. looks great! who chromed your rims?

Reaction score
The Magnaflow is the standard exhaust that Belanger ships with his headers, he builds the system using Magnaflo mufflers only.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Magnaflow is the standard exhaust that Belanger ships with his headers, he builds the system using Magnaflo mufflers only.
ooooooooohhhhh. got ya. Mark, you are awesome. thanks man. how much closer are you to getting the new mopar ecm in for the 08-09?

Reaction score
ooooooooohhhhh. got ya. Mark, you are awesome. thanks man. how much closer are you to getting the new mopar ecm in for the 08-09?

We are at the mercy of Arrow now and seeing how fast they can turn them out. I would hope to hear from them this coming week and will let everyone know what I hear.

OP
OP
J

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wallbanger, awesome pics and love the wheels.

J