Is this 1996 GTS worth 60K??

2000F250V10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Details on the viper:

GTS
Blue with white stripes

Has ONLY 858 miles and basically still has the new car smell in it. Never driven in bad weather conditions. Has sat in storage. Car looks brand new off showroom floor. Had all proper maintanance and recalls done. Would I be nuts to spend 60K on the car? Blue book has worth of around 35K.

Thanks

wcollera

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 1996 blue and white gts last year from Marshall Goldman Motor Sales (www.mgmsl.com) in Cleveland for $54,000. The Car had 1,900 miles on it. I think you would be crazy to spend the money you would spend on that car. 1 the car probaly has not gone more than in and out of the garage, if that. Secondly you probaly would have to invest some money into the car as parts may have dried up from not being used. I had invested aprox. another $5k into my car to have seals replaced that were leaking. If I were you I would contact Marshall Goldman as I know they have 3 beaultiful vipers for sale. 2 blue and white ones that I have seen personaly( 1 96 and 1 97) and a beautifu Yellow GTS. If you are looking to buy a Viper these guys have been great to not only myself but Long Island Snake man too. Feel free to PM me and I will be more than happy to help you out.

Bill

imsa2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Low mileage 96 GTS bring a premium. Low mileage cars are selling for $50,000+
We paid $55,000 for one in Sept. Car had 3300 miles, , cover, an extended warranty until 07,
and we bought it from owner so we got car's complete history. Was I crazy? Perhaps but
We are still smilimg over the car and it is worth every dime we paid for it.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Details on the viper:

GTS
Blue with white stripes

Has ONLY 858 miles and basically still has the new car smell in it. Never driven in bad weather conditions. Has sat in storage. Car looks brand new off showroom floor. Had all proper maintanance and recalls done. Would I be nuts to spend 60K on the car? Blue book has worth of around 35K.

Thanks

Hell no! I think you'd be dumb to pay over $50k for it! Do you people not realize how common blue/white cars are? They made a TON of them!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The $35k book price is just wrong. Like the other guy said, you can't even find one at that price.

If you are going to pay $60k for that GTS and use it for a driver, it will soon be just another nice GTS with under 5k miles. It will then be worth quite a bit less.

When you drive a new one off the lot, you take a big hit. At $60k I see you taking a much bigger hit on this car.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think mid-50's is reasonable. Make an offer, the worst that can happen is they say no. 60k does sound a little steep.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll sell you a beautiful 94 Gen I with 900+ HP, tens of thousands of $$$ in performance mods, and 19" purner wheels for $57K. For $56K, I'll keep it and enjoy it though. :) I bought the car less than a year ago and have way more than this into it now -- just looking to go to a Gen2 later this year and not sure if I should keep the Gen I also or sell it off. Does anybody need 3 Vipers? I have 2 as it is.

I'm adding 4 wheel Stop Tech brakes to it as we speak.

You must be registered for see images

Manny

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me, it would be only if it truly was brand new, i.e. never titled with the full warranty remaining. Short of that, mid 50's but even then, only to a person that had to have a 1996 GTS. (like me)

I don't understand the fear of dry gaskets, lack of use,.... I bought my 1996 new in 2000 and had no problems beyond what I would have had anyway had I bought it the day after it was made.

Make an offer....

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 96 GTS last year with 1900 miles. I just turned 5,000 with out a problem. Just make sure all the recalls and TSB have been performed and you will be ok. Just dont pay an inflatted price for an ACR!! There not worth it. The 96 GTS in the long run will be worth more than any other GTS except for the GT2's.

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to buy the car at Churner Classics, but the owner was a real dick about it.

He acted like he was doing me a favor.

Also there is something wrong with the hood.

Bad02ViperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was also going to buy that car from Cherner Classics but they are a real piece of work.....That car has a bad blemish on the passenger side of the hood where it was hit and they had it blended but it looks like crap!!!!!

A car is worth what the buyer is willing to pay..............As long as he is happy. :2tu:

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree. The Annapolis dealer is about 10 minutes away from me. I drove up in my snake and inquired about a 2000 Yellow RT that he had in his lot. Granted it was a Saturday and they had some customers but the following exchange is inexcusable:

Within 30 seconds of how are you today pleasantries...

"Sir do you plan on purchasing this vehicle today?"

Today?

"Yes, will you buy it today?"

No.

"Then please move your car from out lot and come see us when you are ready to buy."

I was totally paused. It isn't like I was one of those car lot rats that come up and waste a salesmen's time every weekend.

Either way, that is Cherner. Everything I have seen on his lot is way overpriced. He is in a really great spot in downtown Annapolis. I suppose the neigherborhood gazillionaires pony up the extra dough. Don't be that guy. There are too many good resources for the enthusiast.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Blue/White 1996 "NEW" on a MSO with less than 15 miles will bring $100k today. Same car but 1997 will bring $65k.

Your car in question has mileage. If it was still on an MSO with warranty to start the day you buy it...it is worth 60k even with the 858 miles. But since it appears to be a titled car it is still worth $56-58k.

You will never find a 800 mile 1996 for $35k.

1996 Blue/White and 1998 GT2 cars are the Vipers that will bring money.

Dodge needs to fire the guys that did not make the Final Edition a Blue and White!

PS-No I do not own a Blue and White. My Viper is Red.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A Blue/White 1996 "NEW" on a MSO with less than 15 miles will bring $100k today. Same car but 1997 will bring $65k.
$100,000? Isn't there a brand new 1996 for sale for $65K by the dealer that is offering a collection of 15-20 Vipers? $60K is a lot of money for a 96 and after a few thousand miles will only be worth $50K. But to buy that car for under $55k is going to be a tough one. I'd offer $55k max. Or look for one with a few more miles (5k) on it for $50K.

alabamaacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For comparison, one of our fellow VCA members recently purchased a "new" 97 blue and white GTS in the 60K neighborhood.
The car was still on MSO at the original (Tennessee) dealership with only a few hundred miles that the dealer principal himself had put on the clock. How many chances to buy a new one are left out there? IMO he got a deal!
The blue and white cars do seem to be the most sought after and therefore nice examples usually command a premium. Be advised that "Book" values are sometimes inaccurate in specialty markets.
Check the car out completely (Car-Fax, etc.)and be certain it is what it appears to be.
60K might be a little rich for this one. Low to mid fifties is where it probably should sell.
As has been suggested, make an offer you are comfortable with.
Best of luck!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For comparison, one of our fellow VCA members recently purchased a "new" 97 blue and white GTS in the 60K neighborhood.
The car was still on MSO at the original (Tennessee) dealership with only a few hundred miles that the dealer principal himself had put on the clock. How many chances to buy a new one are left out there? IMO he got a deal!
The blue and white cars do seem to be the most sought after and therefore nice examples usually command a premium. Be advised that "Book" values are sometimes inaccurate in specialty markets.
Check the car out completely (Car-Fax, etc.)and be certain it is what it appears to be.
60K might be a little rich for this one. Low to mid fifties is where it probably should sell.
As has been suggested, make an offer you are comfortable with.
Best of luck!

P.S. This RICH guy above from Alabama has two 1996 blue/white cars. One has about 6 miles and has been in a climate controlled museum in east Tennessee since new and the other one was #9 (#8??) off the line that went to a Chrylser executive and I think it has 1300 miles on it. It is on the showroom here in Ringgold. I should have checked the mileage on it today when I was proping my foot on the fender to tie my shoe. When I grow up I want to be like Ted :laugh:

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tony,

The 1996 that you are talking about: Is this the car on a MSO? If this is the same car I am thinking about, he would NOT take $100k for the car. RyckyRacer got turned down on the 1996 and ended up buying a 1997 for $60k+

I thought about what he paid. Not too bad since he got a 3/36 warranty that started the day he bought the Viper. Got a brand new car for not much more than a used one. Then he can add the extended warranty. He will have warranty to 2010. At that point his Viper will be 13 years old!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tony,

The 1996 that you are talking about: Is this the car on a MSO? If this is the same car I am thinking about, he would NOT take $100k for the car. RyckyRacer got turned down on the 1996 and ended up buying a 1997 for $60k+

I thought about what he paid. Not too bad since he got a 3/36 warranty that started the day he bought the Viper. Got a brand new car for not much more than a used one. Then he can add the extended warranty. He will have warranty to 2010. At that point his Viper will be 13 years old!

Don't know if this would be it. I remember the day it rolled off the truck....it was the day I fell in love with blue/white GTS's. Maybe Ted will chime in if it was his.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my humble opinion this car is worth 60 big ones ONLY if all the TBS have been done, excluding the rear chassis TBS and the Rack and Pinion bracket TBS and including the following warranty items some of which may have been TBS's.

1. Side sills replaced with 97 sills - 96 side sill rivets bubble the paint
2.All door glass, door pillars, and door seals including weather seals are replaced with 97 items - 96 door glass is oversize and breaks the rubber seals on top of the door pillar - 96 glass rattles like crazy
3. Alarm system is replaced with 97 unit - So many 96 alarms failed dodge offered to replace them all under the original warranty.
4. All rims are professionally checked for slow leaks
5. Dip stick and dip stick shroud are replaced with 97 - 96 unit pukes oil big time under hard acceleration followed by hard braking.
6. the rubber seals on the oil crossover tube that goes in front of the valvle covers and then to the air box, are replaced - the 96 seals absorb Mobil 1, swell and leak.
7. The Timing chain gasket is replaced - most of them eventually leak
8. The intake manifold gasket is replaced - most of the 96's leaked - mine did it at 4,500 miles

In can probably come up with more if I think about it.
If all this work has been done - the car is worth the money.
If not you were just given negotiating ammunition.
Gavin

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tony,

Jerry, I never made an offer on the 96 6 mile MSO car. When you told me the guy wanted north of 100k for a 6 mile MSO blue and white, it was more than I could ever justify. I don't have your kind of money, or your stable of hot women either! :D

I did jump all over the 97 talked about above by AlabamaACR. I bought it for 61K and got a check back for $149.00 for some kind of tax deal the Dealership owner said he wouldn't make me pay.

Like AlabamaACR and you said, I think I got a steal of a deal. I'm still giddy about getting a car still on MSO from the original dealership, being the original owner, getting full 3yr/36k mi warranty with only 201 miles on the clock that the dealership owner put on himself using the car in town parades over the 7 years he had it on his showroom floor, all for 60K and change. I need the grin surgically removed from my face to this day!

At the time I was shopping I couldn't find a decent blue and white with under 5k miles for less than 58k. So for a few grand more I got a jewel that I'm the original owner of.

I did send a direct e-mail the originator of this post and told him my story and said it's his call, if his gut says do it and his poscket allows, jump all over it. I told him to look at it like this:

What if you HAVE to sell the car in one year and you put 1,000 to 1,500 miles on either one you buy. Will it be easier to sell a 1,800 mile car or a 6,800 mile car? I would always think selling the lower milage car would be an eaiser task.

I also told him I do not have any seal leaks, or drying out issues talked about above. Jon B told me if I do, before I tear it apart to run non-synthetic oil in it and that should swell everything back up. I assume that would depend on how bad things could be. But knock on wood I haven't had any issues.

But, the best car is the car you feel comfortable with price wise and condition wise and I'm sure you will never look back!

Thanks again to Tony and Mike for putting my Blue and White into my hands. I don't think I could have found such a jewel without the two of you guys! Tony and Mike, I haven't ever ran at Atlanta yet in the Busch car, but if I do this year or even next, the pit passes and dinner are on me!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quoteI haven't ever ran at Atlanta yet in the Busch car, but if I do this year or even next, the pit passes and dinner are on me!

[/QUOTE]

Now we are talkin !!! Forget dinner....I'll even clean the windshield. Have plane will travel :)

I had never seen this: http://www.rycksanders.com/ Check it out guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi