Is this a common problem with the first gens?

vipertom7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently bought my car and it had cracks in the hood. The original owner told me that they were from the heat of the engine. Is this true, or did it maybe get repaired improperly after an accident? How much work from a body shop and money would go into fixing these cracks in my hood. I have a few pics. Hopefully they will come up.
You must be registered for see images attach

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have age/heat cracks in the paint, but it looks more like little worm trails. They show up in between the speaker grilles, where you would assume it gets hottest.

I've also hit a brake marker sign and it cracked the upper layer of the hood. The type of crack looks more like what you show.

I can't tell the orientation, but I wonder if someone has closed the hood by pushing on the edge rather than over the hinges. Take another picture from farther away or describe the location on the hood?

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that does not look like the stress crack issue. That looks like paint seporation. Take more pics. It looks like you will have to have that portion of the hood stripped. sealed and the entire hood refinished. The stress cracks and also be repaired, but they dont look like that.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does not look like stress cracks. Heat will not do that either.

Improperly prepped/painted surface will do it. My quess is that the hood was repainted.
Looks like you need to get it stripped down and painted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4