Is this much oil leaking "normal"....

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this much oil leaking \"normal\"....

I got my car checked out once again and the mechanic told me its normal. Just want to make sure. (you can see it on the picture but the bottom of the oil filter has oil all over it as well!) It was exactly the same about 200kms before and they cleaned it off and its like thsi again. He said its becuase its still breaking in!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Is this much oil leaking \"normal\"....

I got my car checked out once again and the mechanic told me its normal. He said its becuase its still breaking in!

Nope and nope. Never seen a drop of anything (except water) from mine.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Is this much oil leaking

Just changed mine at 2000, no oil under it anywhere

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's probably coming through the pan bolt holes or the bolts are not tight. Mine did just like that. I had a couple loose bolts, but after tightening them, it still leaked. I took the bolts out in the area of oil leaking, put some liquid gasket (Permatex I think) on it, screwed them back in, wiped off the "squeeze", and called it a day. Didn't leak anymore.

BTW, see that hose going over the frame? On my car, that hose had a nice wear area on it at the contact point. Pretty deep. I fixed it by putting a piece of plastic pipe over it. (I also have a washer and dryer on my front porch.)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the oil pan gasket replaced due to weeping/leaking from the corner areas. Most noticeable near the oil filter right where it shows in your top picture. Note there are oil pan screws inside of the trans dust pan.

Frank I had the same thing with the a/c hose. I placed a corrugated sleeve over mine.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Our 03 SRT-10 started leaking a small amount of oil this winter...same area as described above on the oil pan...AND, I noted that the oil lines to and from the remote cooler had oil around the connections...decided to let Dodge fix it next week.

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks boys i'm going back to the dealership to do some thugging right now LOL ;)

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

B4 being able to fix it ( the dealer is pulling your leg,oil leaks,except on British cars, is not normal) you need to find out where the leak come from.
Clean all the oil and spray some baby powder/talc around the area.

Drive for 20/30 miles and inspect the area, the talc will act as a "tracer" and will allow you to pinpoint the location of the leak

Beside the oil pan, the filter base/mount is also a possibility.

Good luck.

Luc 00GTS

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well the dealer said he will have to clean it off and check it out again! I guess they will check it out when I take it in on thursday to get my side sill repainted! On another note...I got my headlights replaced since mine were extremely hazed and they determined that it is a factory flaw! At night they were looking awful especailly for a car that has about 1100 miles on it right now!

Headlights - done
painting burned side sill - thursday
oil leak - checking on thursday!

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Most SRT-10s seem to have their warts. Mine was (and is)clutch and diff. Yours seems to be oil leaks. I had a mechanic try to tell me the "oil" leak on my brand new 1976 Vega was "normal" -- ********!

I would tell dodge (the warranty) to either fix the goddamn thing or put in a new engine. (You might take a long 2k mile road trip and let the engine seize, as long as you have a documented history of abnormal oil leaks, my guess is you would win if you took it to civil court).

NEVER let a tech making 15 bucks an hour make critical decisions on an 85K car! That's like asking the nurse if you think you should have a liver biopsy!

OP
OP
S

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Most SRT-10s seem to have their warts. Mine was (and is)clutch and diff. Yours seems to be oil leaks. I had a mechanic try to tell me the "oil" leak on my brand new 1976 Vega was "normal" -- ********!

I would tell dodge (the warranty) to either fix the goddamn thing or put in a new engine. (You might take a long 2k mile road trip and let the engine seize, as long as you have a documented history of abnormal oil leaks, my guess is you would win if you took it to civil court).

NEVER let a tech making 15 bucks an hour make critical decisions on an 85K car! That's like asking the nurse if you think you should have a liver biopsy!

Thats true especailly a guy that left an 1/2 inch gap at the top of my headlight saying it doesnt' go in any other way!!! I litereally stand by my car while they do the work! They take a break every 20 minutes to smoke a cigarette. THank god I'm not paying the $95 an hour rate here.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

I'd check this out myself or try another Viper tech. This car doesn't leak oil unless something is wrong. I now have almost 17,000 miles on mine, the last 5000 with a Paxton, still no oil leaks from the engine. Under boost, my car and most others "puke" oil out the PCV lines, but still no leaks.

Casey 111

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What leak, thats just all those horses sweating! :2tu:

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can't believe we are talking about oil leaks being NORMAL.

In some cars, like some of the older muscle cars I have had, oil leaks were not uncommon and came from multiple sources.

After a while, you just tend to live with a small leak.

But, don't confuse that with normality. Engines were not designed to leak oil!

The dealer can put some fluorescent fluid in the oil to find the source of the leak if it's not obvious, though your pics suggest it's the pan gasket.

Don't let him brush it off. Or, take it elsewhere.

hd13

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just had my car in for oil change and I noticed a few drops of oil on the garage floor it sat for the winter and I just put insurance on it. Your pictures looked exactly the same as mind. Anyway I stood beside my Viper tech while he did the work :) We looked everywhere for a leak and determined it was coming from the oil pant bolts. We took them out one at a time after we dumped the oil. We found 5 of them had oil on thread and the lower part of the bolt. The rest were clean and dry. We cleaned each bolt and put some sealant on them and torqued them back up. NO MORE LEAKS!!!!!

Last year I had a oil cooler line leaking at the right front of the car. Just a few drops but really annoying. Just for fun I thought I would take it off and inspect it. I found the "O" ring inside to be pinched and faulty. I had a similar one in my tool box and tossed it in......NO MORE LEAKS!!! lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960