is this something major?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
on my 99 R/T when the car finally warms up for the first 10 minutes of driving when you let off the gas as the rpms drop it gets stuck at 1 and 1/2 almost every time you let off the gas, only for the first 1 minutes then its perfect

any ideas?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch! That's indicative of a very bad problem with your injectors AND your PCM! I'd get it to a Viper tech asap! Nothing a couple grand won't fix.

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sounds like the "idle hang" problem. check with sean roe, I believe he has a fix for it. you can also search here, there is a lot of talk about it.

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 96. I took it to the dealer and they replaced some small motor, I will look at the paper work tonight and let you know what it was.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have an extended warranty on that 99 right- if not I suggest you back date a check to Ringold Dodge and get you one before the $3000 bill arrives from the Viper tech- OOOUUUCCCHHH :eek:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like the wavulator is stuck inside the fromticator... or it could possibly be a jammed kinipling pin.

If it turns out to be the IAC though, I do have a used one available...

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
on my 99 R/T when the car finally warms up for the first 10 minutes of driving when you let off the gas as the rpms drop it gets stuck at 1 and 1/2 almost every time you let off the gas, only for the first 1 minutes then its perfect

any ideas?

Don't listen to those guys. SHEEZZZ!!!!!!

The problem is simple, and the fix is simple. Go to AutoZone or a car parts place, and get a header fuse.
What happens is when a header fuse starts to go out, it will send electric shorts/spikes to other electronic sensors(rpm) and will spike it/cause it to hang. If it only is doing it for the first 10 minutes, it's probably contracting when cold(metal expansion/contracton due to temperature) but it's nit ready to pop/break to fully go out.
I got my replacement at AutoZone for pocket change. Upgrade and use a higher amperage fuse(20amp). If you haven't figured out which side it it, replace both, or to be on the safeside I would do both.
Glad to help you.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
now that fuse goes in the fuse box by the drivers right leg right?

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
now that fuse goes in the fuse box by the drivers right leg right?

NOPE, it's an inline fuse. Sensors use electronic signals to send info to gauges that convert it into data(gauge info), that the gauge reads. The Header fuse is attached to the headers, and the attachment to the wiring is why it can spike. I had to go to AutoZone and they showed me where it was at when I bought the fuses. It's difficult to locate, go the store, and let them show you where it is. Will save you alot of time.

OP
OP
S

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called Sean Roe he said that its called idle hang and he said its normal

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
STUGOTS Andy, I just bumped up an old thread on this for you, see "IDLE QUESTION"

It used to be you could ask a question here and get a serious answer....sorry.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured it out! It's head in ass syndrome! I've never had it, but I hear it's bad, and I'm certain it's your problem. You can thank me later.

GTSTF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and while you're changing your blinker fluid, don't forget to to change the air in your tires from winter air to spring air.