Is this worth the trade

DSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think im finally getting used to the Gen III cars. I especially like them with aftermarket wheels. I may have a possible deal on a trade it. Its a 2003 silver 1800 miles. My car is a 99 RT/10, both tops. It has 14K miles basic exhaust mods, however car is flawless condition. They want my car plus 27K. Do you guys think its worh it. This decision has been harder for me to decide than having another child. Was going to supercharge and install 20" wheels but it starts to get pricy and i will never retain that $$ back if i sell. Figured to just get the new. I know that the coupe may be comming out, however i really like the open air. Opinions really appreciated.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it is worth it, you mod the car for your sake, not for the sake of resale value. I enjoy mine 99 RT/10, and continue to mod it to my liking (Snakehydes interior :2tu: :2tu: ) I think the Gen II cars are a much improved car in regards to handling and braking, but for the looks, I'll stick to the Gen I/II cars. I don't forsee selling my 99 ever, but will add other cars when able :headbang: :headbang:

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i wouldnt do it. your car is worth at least 46K. +27 is 73K. you can get in a a nice Gen3 now for high 60s.

if you sell yours privately & then go buy a Gen3 it'll put about another 6K in your pocket.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go take a ride in a 700rwhp SC Gen II, and then go ride in a stock 2003 and the answer to your question will come to you REAL FAST!! :2tu:

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
keep the gen 2.

I also have a 99 RT with both tops witha few bolt on mods and theres no way I would trade.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a GTS but I would definately keep/mod your RT-10. The SRT is growing on me also but it will never replace the gen 1/2 Vipers. When the Coupe comes out you will be able to get your SRT if you so desire for alot less.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your car's worth around $50K, so the dealer would be asking around $77K for the 2003 which is a bit ridiculous.

Also you'll end up regretting selling the nicer looking car.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion, sell your car and then buy that one if you want it so badly or find another GEN III on eBay.

good advice. But dont forget... If you trade the car in, you are saving tax on about $45,000... A nice chunk of change if you ask me.... But your car should bring high $40's, maybe even $50k.... There is about a $20k diff. between the 2 cars.. $23k, if you include the tax savings... The rest is dealer profit..... :rolleyes:

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO people are most likely going to give less reactions to the gen III as compared to your gen II. Some people will disagree with me but I notice that a gen II car almost always hits a nerve more than a genIII. If you want open air then get a gen II R/T. Offers the best of both worlds. My biggest question is if you have any complaints about the genII now, if not why do you need to spend more money on a gen III? What are you looking to get out of a gen111 besides open air and less miles?

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DSI, I sounded just like you when I got my 98 GTS. I said that I would rather get an SRT that's faster than mod my car. I think that you would probably regret selling your car. A GenII is totally different than a Gen III when you talk about looks, availabilty of mods and price. Once I finally decided to get a supercharger and put 20" wheels on my snake, I knew that I made the right decision. You are right when you say that you will never recover all your money for the mods on the car, but like "98 RT/10" said,"mod your car towards your liking and not for resale". I don't know if you've ever been in a car that has been moded. If you haven't, then you need to ride in one for yourself then you will not want to get rid of your RT/10. Take it from someone who has been in your shoes.Good Luck On Your Decision!!

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about doing the same thing. My wife and son thought I was crazy. I decided they were right. I would still like to get one but, I'll wait until the prices keep going down and then buy one outright and keep my ACR too.

One of each would be nice just like ABADASP's picture. Very nice :2tu:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before looking at these other posts....so I wouldn't be swayed. I figured $72,000 on the 2003 minus $27,000 = $45,000 for your car. All that looks fair dealing through a dealer.

After I did my figures above, I looked at the VCA classifieds.....we have four 1999 rt/10's:

1. dealer 7k miles $56,500
2. private 23k miles $46,999
3. wholesale dealer 20k miles $47,500
4. dealer 27k miles $45,999

After speaking with my dealer, he said the 03 should be in the high sixtys....he said used 04's are going for $72.
He has a new black 2004 he would trade on your car for $32,860 ............ is a new o4 versus a used o3 worth $5,860 ??? Good question, I don't know.

How about telling them you will trade for $25,000 .... with the tax savings, that sounds fair.

OP
OP
D

DSI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gentlemen,
Thanks for all your replys. I must say u guys definitely look out for the best interest of us viper owners. funny to say, but as u all know, im very confused, i guess just bored. Yesterday, i washed the car took it to the 1st gas station, came out and there were 4 hot girls in short shorts walking around the car, then we began talking. all of my friends & family tould me that im crazy the gen I & II cars cannot be replaced. Everyone says the gen I&II can be modified for speed, however the gen III will never be as hot as the original.

Thanks for your input

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gentlemen,
Thanks for all your replys. I must say u guys definitely look out for the best interest of us viper owners. funny to say, but as u all know, im very confused, i guess just bored. Yesterday, i washed the car took it to the 1st gas station, came out and there were 4 hot girls in short shorts walking around the car, then we began talking. all of my friends & family tould me that im crazy the gen I & II cars cannot be replaced. Everyone says the gen I&II can be modified for speed, however the gen III will never be as hot as the original.

Thanks for your input

Very well said.