IT IS TIME TO STOP THESE NON CERTIFIED VIPER DEALERS FROM WORKING ON VIPERS

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:curse:
I was at a local dealer whom I wanted to re flash my body control module for the headlight recall and I asked him if his shop was viper certified. He said yes, so I asked him for his certification papers. He asked why I needed to see them and i told him that as a Viper owner I had the right to see if he was really a certified Viper dealer. He comes out with a paper dated from back in 2004 that does not list the tech's name on it. I asked him to show me the tech's certification papers and was told he did not have to show them to me. I told him my wife works for DC in warranty and that he has to show me. I was very polite the whole time. He then showed me the door. I told him that he was lying to me from the beginning and that I was going to report him to DC. It is time that we all make a big fuss over this problem so that DC finally does something about the fact that non certified dealers are having repair jockeys messing with our $95,500.00 cars. Thank god we have Chuck Tator who is an upstanding guy. I am sure there are others out there but I have not found them here in CT. I have a friend of mine who needed a new gas cap for his GTS and a dealer, who told him he was certified and was not, tried to rip him off by telling him he needed a new gas tank and that he would have to take the complete rear suspension out of the car to perform the job.
WHEN IS THIS GOING TO END. WE NEED DC TO POST ON THEIR WEBSITE A CURRENT LIST OF REAL DODGE VIPER CERTIFIED DEALERS ALONG WITH THE TECH'S NAME AT THE DEALERSHIP.

Robbie

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because you're a certified Viper tech doesn't mean you know your butt from a whole in the ground. The nearest Viper tech to me, told me he is "scared" to work on Vipers and tries to never have to work on any! But I agree, I don't want some uncertified tech trying to diagnose any problems on my Snake either

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reminds me of the long thread last month about "regular" mechanics vs Vipertechs. Don't go in blind and assume any and every mechanic can work on a Viper. At the same time, don't assume a "papered" Vipertech's **** don't stink. Previous relationships and referrals (especially from vca members) is the best way to go. If you walk into the facilities and see a couple Vipers on lifts... you're most likely in good hands. If all you see are old, out of warranty passenger cars, you should at least know the mechanic's reputation before turning over the keys.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PCM Warranty flashes are the same on a Caravan, Jeep or Viper. It does not take a Viper tech, (or even a Dodge Dealer, Chrysler-Jeep can do) to to perform that SIMPLE task.

I'd worry about the guy changing spark plug wires more than a routine PCM flash.

Even if D-C did publish a list, "Viper Tech" can mean NOTHING. The skill level varies from a newbee with a 3-day classroom only, to a 14-year Viper veteren like DanC, KenK, ChuckT, etc. The certificate is almost meaningless. There are NUMEROUS cases of a 'certfied viper tech' who installed the infamous GTS Frame Recalls INCORRECTLY. WELDED IN THE WRONG PLACE!

Interview the tech or the service manager. Ask "how many exhaust systems has the tech installed on my year Viper" or some such. There are "Viper Techs" out there that have NEVER touched a Gen III..... and GEN-3 latecomers who have never touched a Gen 1. The paper means NOTHING...Experience means EVERYTHING.....certifed or not.

If you are a VCA PAID MEMBER, and have an active club, ASK MEMBERS !!!! In the beginning, (Gen 1) I suggested this simple test: Ask the 'Viper tech' why the coolant had to be burped, and how it was done. If they replied "HUH?" then RUN AWAY to another tech............

OP
OP
R

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, Thank you for your great comments. I will be asking them about the cooland question as I know the answer and I know you do too.

Thanks again,

Robbie

jaydoc1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: IT IS TIME TO STOP THESE NON CERTIFIED VIPER DEALERS FROM WORKING ON VI

Ask the 'Viper tech' why the coolant had to be burped, and how it was done. If they replied "HUH?" then RUN AWAY to another tech............

Yes ask that! Uh, why was that again? :confused:

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PCM Warranty flashes are the same on a Caravan, Jeep or Viper. It does not take a Viper tech, (or even a Dodge Dealer, Chrysler-Jeep can do) to to perform that SIMPLE task.

I'd worry about the guy changing spark plug wires more than a routine PCM flash.

Even if D-C did publish a list, "Viper Tech" can mean NOTHING. The skill level varies from a newbee with a 3-day classroom only, to a 14-year Viper veteren like DanC, KenK, ChuckT, etc. The certificate is almost meaningless. There are NUMEROUS cases of a 'certfied viper tech' who installed the infamous GTS Frame Recalls INCORRECTLY. WELDED IN THE WRONG PLACE!

Interview the tech or the service manager. Ask "how many exhaust systems has the tech installed on my year Viper" or some such. There are "Viper Techs" out there that have NEVER touched a Gen III..... and GEN-3 latecomers who have never touched a Gen 1. The paper means NOTHING...Experience means EVERYTHING.....certifed or not.

If you are a VCA PAID MEMBER, and have an active club, ASK MEMBERS !!!! In the beginning, (Gen 1) I suggested this simple test: Ask the 'Viper tech' why the coolant had to be burped, and how it was done. If they replied "HUH?" then RUN AWAY to another tech............

I totally agreed with Jon. Viper tech or not, 5 star dealership or not, doesn't really mean anything to me. Back then, I had a DC certified 5 star dealer took my car out without my authorization on a Saturday night and crashed the car. After that, the dealer doesn't even want to do anything about it. I finally sued them and won. Good luck!

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the long thread last month about "regular" mechanics vs Vipertechs. Don't go in blind and assume any and every mechanic can work on a Viper. At the same time, don't assume a "papered" Vipertech's **** don't stink. Previous relationships and referrals (especially from vca members) is the best way to go. If you walk into the facilities and see a couple Vipers on lifts... you're most likely in good hands. If all you see are old, out of warranty passenger cars, you should at least know the mechanic's reputation before turning over the keys.

Warfang, you are validating my argument, and so is this thread.

I trust more my mechanic than any Vipertech out there... I trust myself better than a vipertech out there to change a freaking clutch!!!

Maybe for those of you "non-mechanically inclined" it may seem taboo or intimidating, but it is pretty darn easy...

OP
OP
R

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ZORRO

As you are well aware i do all my work and that of others but we can not do reflashes unless we are a DC shop. All we here around these parts of the woods are horror stories about the dealers with the exception of Tator Dodge which is 2-3 hours away. Tjis is not exceptable after my customers and I have spend the money to buy a Viper only to be told to drive to Tator Dodge which is not even in CT.

Thanks to all of you for your response. I have an appointment with a local dealer next Wed.

Robbie

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I trust more my mechanic than any Vipertech out there... I trust myself better than a vipertech out there to change a freaking clutch!!!

Maybe for those of you "non-mechanically inclined" it may seem taboo or intimidating, but it is pretty darn easy...
Never said your argument was invalid. Just that you have to trust the guy working on your car, thats all. For the "non-mechanically inclined" (like me), you need to go by reputation, preferably a referral from a fellow Viper owner. If you don't know any Viper owners in the area and don't have a past relationship with another mechanic that you trust, you have better odds with someone who is a Vipertech than just pulling into the nearest mechanic.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

Never said your argument was invalid. Just that you have to trust the guy working on your car, thats all. For the "non-mechanically inclined" (like me), you need to go by reputation, preferably a referral from a fellow Viper owner. If you don't know any Viper owners in the area and don't have a past relationship with another mechanic that you trust, you have better odds with someone who is a Vipertech than just pulling into the nearest mechanic.

I'd be silly to disagree. But your first comment was "obviously not a Viper owner" when I suggested any mechanic with 2 neurons of brain power can change a clutch on a T56....

Robbie, of course I am not suggesting you reflash your own computer..

Back on the subject of "DO YOUR OWN MODS"... I'd like to post pics of my 32" muffler installed with SS tubes... How do I post??
:confused:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be silly to disagree. But your first comment was "obviously not a Viper owner" when I suggested any mechanic with 2 neurons of brain power can change a clutch on a T56....

Any mechanic can do an oil change too, but you still need to bring it to someone you trust, and not just "any mechanic with 2 neurons of brain power." I just answered your flip remark with my own... or are you saying you'd just open your phone book to a car repair page and randomly pick a mechanic to work on your Viper? I doubt that.

Either way, you should PM Lee about getting your status changed. It's not that you're less of a person as an enthusiast, but it would be nice for others to know where you're coming from. :)