Its nice to see Dodge still has pride in the Viper

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2010 GrandSport exploded ****** - Page 2 - Corvette Forum

First of all, I'm not bashing the Corvette. I had an 05 Corvette and it was a great car. But It did have electrical problems. I know that the Corvette is a mass produced car, but still, it is their flagship of performance. Although I haven't done tons of research, Dodge really takes the time on their Viper in terms of quality, regardless of how bad the economy is. I love my hand built American car! :drive:

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the post from the guy whose Vette was sent back to Bowling Green for engine replacement with a six week wait. Lucky guy! His car was #12 in line.:omg::crazy2: Now that's quality from the ground up-or is that Ford?:rolaugh::lmao: What's the diff.?:dunno: Don'tcha just love these V10s?:2tu::headbang::drive::drive::drive:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
more than likely some ***** before him(that put the 150 miles on it) ran it like a ******** and mared the bearings.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah the Vette has it's problems, but still a great car IMHO. Also, the LS based motor has a great reputation for holding up under stress and is a good building platform for mods, especially the LS1 and 2. I am surprised this one let go like it did being so new. Then again, we don't know the details on what happnened either. But yes, because so many are produced, there are bound to be more problems.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2010 GrandSport exploded ****** - Page 2 - Corvette Forum

First of all, I'm not bashing the Corvette. I had an 05 Corvette and it was a great car. But It did have electrical problems. I know that the Corvette is a mass produced car, but still, it is their flagship of performance. Although I haven't done tons of research, Dodge really takes the time on their Viper in terms of quality, regardless of how bad the economy is. I love my hand built American car! :drive:
Quality? See recent ACR paint issues post. Their best reply was 150 miles when sold= RED FLAG. A friend of mine just bough a new Grand Sport Vette and has had NO problems. Looks perfect too and under $65k.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my hand built American car! :drive:

Curious, but how is a Viper more "hand built" than a Corvette is? Both use assembly lines, both are built inside the USA, and both of those assembly lines are operated at each station by a union worker. I've toured the Corvette plant twice, they weren't using robots to put the cars together, it was workers with automated tools.

The only thing I've seen that Viper does better is paint quality and detail, as they hand buff the panels. Corvettes are sent out the door with whatever orange peel they end up with. I was under my Viper yesterday, changing the oil. If those frame welds were robot welds, that robot should be fired. I'd take clean and precise robot welds over sloppy hand-welding any day. Anyone know if the Viper frame is hand welded or robot welded?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious, but how is a Viper more "hand built" than a Corvette is? Both use assembly lines, both are built inside the USA, and both of those assembly lines are operated at each station by a union worker. I've toured the Corvette plant twice, they weren't using robots to put the cars together, it was workers with automated tools.

The only thing I've seen that Viper does better is paint quality and detail, as they hand buff the panels. Corvettes are sent out the door with whatever orange peel they end up with. I was under my Viper yesterday, changing the oil. If those frame welds were robot welds, that robot should be fired. I'd take clean and precise robot welds over sloppy hand-welding any day. Anyone know if the Viper frame is hand welded or robot welded?

Odd....My ex fiances dad worked for GM. Heard it was robots for a majority.

OP
OP
C

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quality? See recent ACR paint issues post. Their best reply was 150 miles when sold= RED FLAG. A friend of mine just bough a new Grand Sport Vette and has had NO problems. Looks perfect too and under $65k.

Like I said, the Corvette is a great car. Great bang for a buck performance that is comfortable to drive everyday. Paint issues definatey ****, but Id take that over mechanics. I just never heard of a lemon Viper really, even though I know they are out there and the production numbers are definately in favor for the Viper for having less problems.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both the 08 Z06 and the 08 Viper Vert. They both have some issues from factory with transmissions/clutch/diffs etc... which thankfully will be resolved on the Z, but I will have to pay to get anything done on the Viper, as Chrysler will not warranty any car once it's crossed border. If it wasn't a Viper, which I'd always wanted, I'd have never bought anything Chrysler...

If anyone thinks the Viper is better built than the Vette, think again. Except for paint finish, there's really no difference between the build of the two...

There are probably more issues per car on Vipers than there are on Vettes, when you consider how many they build of each annually.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Odd....My ex fiances dad worked for GM. Heard it was robots for a majority.

The Corvette plant is unlike most GM plants, just like the Viper plant is unlike most Dodge plants. Both cars are a specialty niche car, their plants both have a lot of pride.

OP
OP
C

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Corvette plant is unlike most GM plants, just like the Viper plant is unlike most Dodge plants. Both cars are a specialty niche car, their plants both have a lot of pride.

Im aware of this. Bowling Green is the Corvette capital. But Ive heard from him that the Corvette is much more machine built. If you go on Dodges website, it is one of the selling points of the Viper. I did a search online and came up empty handed on hand built Corvettes. Well all articles refer to a 1953 Corvette. If Corvettes and Vipers were equally built my individuals, I dont understand why Dodge would promote this fact and Chevrolet wouldn't.

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have three Corvette's sitting in the garage with the Viper.

An 02, 05 and 08. They have never seen the dealer after I drove them home except for the first oil change that the dealer throws in free. They have been faultless which is the typical result not the exception.

I find little difference between the Viper and the Corvette's except all the nanny stuff.

The clutch hook up is better in the Viper and the shifting is a little more crisp.

The ride in the Vette is more plush but they are base coupes not meant for the track. One has a Z51 package that is trackable.

I favor the Viper over them but I would not be without either.

That is unless I have to decide between the cars or the motorcycles, then the cars would have to go.

Unless I would have to decide between the motorcycles and my 4X4 truck. then the cycles would have to go.

8mywal8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a production machine shop. We do thousands of pounds of steel a day for Pacar. I would take a robot any day over the ******** human race this country is making these days. I agree with the bird sh-t welds on the Viper frame. Pacar would have rejected those in a heart beat. How does Chrysler let these get out?