jacking info

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why doesn't anyone use the stock jack? Here is a helpful hint to anyone that doesn't want to spend a million dollars on a low profile jack. This quicker than using blocks! The same 3/4" soccet that fits the lug nuts will fit the jack(thats why its the only size provided on the tire iron).

Simply put the air gun on the jack, pull the trigger, and in less than 1 second the car is jacked up and you are all ready to go.

I know, the air gun will damage lug nuts, and over torque wheel studs. NOT! Simply adjust your air pressure and do a final torque to spec with a torque wrench.

I dont leave my jack in the car. I keep it with my air tools. The spare stays in the trunk (something about crumple zones and the spare keeping the integrity of the trunk area). I will never try to change the HUGE rear tire or even the large front tire with that spare. Plus where am I supposed to put the tire I take off (RT/10) I will just call AAA.

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mopar Steve:
Why doesn't anyone use the stock jack? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice idea, too bad my crumpled the first time I went to use it. It's a flimsy peice of junk not worthy of supporting a helium ballon.

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, I use my Craftsman 3 ton floor jack just fine. I just take the round jack pad off the jack, and just slide it under the side..............Just fits under there.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lleone, Great pic in your avatar!! Whatever background you chose really highlights the Steely Gray! Good Job!!
smile.gif

OP
OP
F

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got chrome wheels with new tires for my 96 and want to change them without useing my stock jack, and I found out that my floor jack won't fit under the car, any suggestions? Do I have to buy an expensive low profile jack just to do this? Will I damage the car jacking with a floor jack? thanks
Bill

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A search key is a terrible thing to waste... (apologies to Tom Welch, I think?? ) Get some 2x12's and stack them together so they create a stair step then nail or glue them together, drive up on the boards and then use your jack. I got my low-profile jack from Northwest tool and I love it, think it was $90.00.
smile.gif

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have many floor jacks that don't fit. What I did is buy a $19 screw jack (like the factory one) and use it to lift the car. Then I use the floor jack to to get the car off the ground.

In the rear you don't need it since you can get to the frame from behind the car.

OP
OP
F

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I used my stock jack and lifted it enough for my floor jack and my stock jack got bent to hell, car shifted a little and bent the threaded rod and frame of the jack, why are they made so cheap? does anyone know where I can get another one? just so the car is complete if I ever sell it. thanks
Bill

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can hear lleone telling you 'I told you so' already.

Personally, I find driving up on one or two 2x12's so I can fit my floor jack under it easier than getting the stock jack out. Anyone out there know of a compatible, but stronger jack?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Northern Tool - (800)533-5545, Part# 144470-C169. The price is $149. I have put it to the test for over two years. It is a little heavy, however, I always take it the track. When you change the rears, you can pick the cross bar junction on either side and lift the whole rear from the one point. It has a 3.5" low side profile. With the rubber jack pad, its about 4.25".

Eastwood (610)323-6269, offers hard rubber jack pads. They come four to a set and they work perfect with any floor jack.

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bigs and KenH,

Sorry I missed your posts earlier. I laughed this morning about the the "told you so" remark. I made the avatar using a texture generator from Corel.

Thanks guys!

Lou