Just curbed my HRE wheel!!! Can they be refinished? How much $$$? ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was pulling into a spot alongside a curb.

I asked my buddy to look out and see how much room I had.

He said " atleast a full foot " ... well I turned the wheel just a little bit and RUUUUUUUB.

I probably had 4" ... thats what I get for trusting someone. :mad:

The wheels are polished with clear coating done by HRE.

It doesnt feel super deep but looks like CRAP. Looks like I mainly just tore up the clear coat with a little bit of scratching a couple inches long.

In order to touch it up myself, what can I do? Should I just try to polish it, or should I take fine grit sand paper before I do it (or will that make things worse taking off the entire clear coat on that section?)

Can they usually refinish a wheel? I guess they strip the clear coat, polish/sand up the blemished area, then re-clear coat?

How much does that usually cost?

Do you have to take off the rim and send it somewhere , or is this something they can do in a day? I dont have a spare to put on.

These wheels are discontinued too :(

Last edited:

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep you can do it, just need a Dremel and some patience, search YouTube for some good how to's on it.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That *****. I know my gts rims are not HRE wheels but i curbed mine just a little last year and fixed it myself. I used an air grinder and a few different scotch bright bads and then some polish and it turned out great. First time doing anything like that and can not even noticed now. Like said above, watch some Youtube videos to get some ideas.
Good luck.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for making me feel a little better guys ... I was sorta freaking out!!!

$100-$125 isnt too bad either.

Will the entire wheel have to be re-clearcoated ... I am guessing I have to strip the clear coating off the scratched/blemished area to get to the aluminum and polish it up?

I heard of an aluminum coating called "ZOOP" ... will that be enough protection to blend it back into the rest of the clear coating?

Does the tire have to be dismounted?

I will search YouTube ... I forget all the "how-to's" on YouTube ... thanks for the heads up!!! :) ---

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wheels America does mine, not that I curb my wheels or anything :smirk:
They are cheap and turn them around in 24hrs.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it a 3 pc wheel? If so, HRE will put a new rim on it for you. Either way, HRE will fix it. If you have to ship it, I would send it back to HRE. Look at their website for details.