Just curious...

fluffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've had ABS for six years now. Anybody seen a reduction in accidents or fatalities?
And with the Gen III came the run-flats, which I'm sure more than made up for the ABS. I'd be willing to bet that even with 600hp we'll see far fewer "fatal crash" threads that involve the '08s.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over the last 6 years....

~More HP
~Almost twice as many vipers
~and ABS

I haven't noticed double the fatalities, so I would say yes.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ABS definately helps the statistics Im sure, but I think traction control would help out more. As much as I hate traction control, I think there are too many people that dont know how to drive, that need traction control. I think a majority of accidents in Vipers are related to the throttle,not the brakes.

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are probably no statistics for the Viper itself. Another question would be whether or not ABS has reduced the accident rate in the general population. Since ABS doesn't significantly affect stopping distances, but offers the possibility of control, it would be interesting to see if it was the g-dsend the government promised.

~Craig

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The statistics I've seen on ABS in general show that if a car is equipped with ABS drivers end up with more accidents due to counting on the system.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are probably no statistics for the Viper itself. Another question would be whether or not ABS has reduced the accident rate in the general population. Since ABS doesn't significantly affect stopping distances, but offers the possibility of control, it would be interesting to see if it was the g-dsend the government promised.

~Craig

If ABS doesn't significantly affect stopping distances, why did the stopping distances drop after ABS was put on?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've had ABS for six years now. Anybody seen a reduction in accidents or fatalities?

Yes, in my personal experience, I have had street situations, e.g., people pulling out in front of me, etc., that would have definitely been an accident in my 98 that were not because of the better brakes in my 05.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If ABS doesn't significantly affect stopping distances, why did the stopping distances drop after ABS was put on?

All mag data with 01 and 02 (GEN II ABS) stopping distances are the same as previous years.

03 and above are completely redesigned systems.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All mag data with 01 and 02 (GEN II ABS) stopping distances are the same as previous years.

03 and above are completely redesigned systems.

Been a while since I've looked at those numbers, but that seems unlikely...got some scans to post and show?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that ABS is something that is necessary on cars, especially if you are not a experienced driver. Chuck and I have had many discussions on this topic as he feels that it is really not necessary but I feel that it can help. If you are a experienced driver, I can see how it can harm times or driving ability but for soccer moms and teenagers, I think it can help. Yes some people will drive more erratically because they know they have the system, but overall I know that this system has helped since it was introduced.

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not had it on either of my Vipers, 96 & 00 GTS, so I cannot comment about it on a Viper as I have not had a situation to use it on either one of them. Years ago, I had a 96 Grand Cherokee with ABS and was driving through Charlotte in the rain when all at once the guy in the left lane lost it and was sliding into me. I had to swerve toward the guy in the right lane and then back toward the guy in the left all the while stomping the brake. The Grand never slipped a bit and steered like it was on rails. I do see how it could come in handy, but I do not think it would be a deciding factor on whether or not I would pick a Viper.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe mag data, but others don't agree with that statement. Significantly shorter stopping.

See the link. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Followup/articleId=48641

Just another reason to own a 2001 or 2002 vehicle.

Yeah, there's some mag data, 155 feet stopping distance in a 2000, 115 feet in a 2001 with ABS, sounds like ABS helps to me. Plus as they noted, and I have experienced a number of times in my non-ABS 98, that stopping involved wheel lock which isn't acceptable.