Just Got My Viper! (and I have a question)

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just got my new 2001 Sapphire Blue GTS, what a car!

I purchased it from Bill P at Woodhouse. I was very concerned buying such a car sight unseen, but it has gone very well so far. If anyone is considering a Viper, make one of your calls to Bill at Woodhouse.

This board is a great resource, thanks all.

Here is the question:
In bright sunlight, I noticed swirl marks in the finish, Bill tells me that the paint is buffed out at the factory and that is the cause. What is the best way to deal with this?

BTW the break-in procedure is killing me!

Gozer

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gozer,

I have the same color and Dust and Swirls are going to be a problem for ever I think.
What I have found that works the best is to use a very soft all cotton towel and to rub a good quality wax on in a forward and backward motion. NOT IN CIRCLES! If you use the Zaino series of waxes I think you will be happy. Novus polish works well also
(fine scratch remover) I have also noticed a product called Nu finish in an orange bottle from Target seems to work very well for masking swirls.
Where are you at anyway?
Check out my thread under "Photo/Model shoot" come on down if
you can make it, should be a lot of fun.
Be sure to check out MGWLTD.com too, you'll be glad you did.
Regards,
Steve

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zaino Z-5

However, if the scratches are fairly deep, then use an abrasive product like 3M swirl remover. Try the none abrasive Z-5 first before you go to the 3M product.

Call me at work tomorrow and I'll walk you through it. 360-696-7446 7-4pm (pacific) or call Sal Zaino at 732-833-8800

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The very reason I am avoiding the sapphire blue, just too much maintenance. BTW Bill told me they get those buff marks out during their long prep period, maybe you can work out some kind of deal since he does so much business here. They must have missed that one.

sleepersn95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get pick, I just get my 2001 Sapphire Blue GTS on May 11, and would be the first day I didn't drive (rain today).

I don't have any swirl marks,and I hope you don't have to deal with tree pollen also, gives the car a nice green/blue mystic color before the amout of pollen gets out of hand.

The breakin period has taught me a few things (i've put almost 800 miles on the car already).

1. For normal daily drving use you only need probably up to 3500 rpm's. Anything more than that and you are racing!

2. Hold tight when driving on roads that trucks have grooved their own tire trail in. 18 inch tires don't fit in the same area very will.

3. This is the most important one, HAVE FUN !

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You do have a beautiful color!! Remember, it may take 3-5 coats of Zaino # 5 followed by one coat of Zaino #2. If you still need to go after swirl marks, 3M product is "Swirl Mark Remover...for dark color cars", (number 39009)...good luck, and ENJOY your Viper!!!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dark colors tend to show swirl marks, and I do believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that when I first took delivery of my black 2000, that no matter how much I worked at it, there was still a some hazyness and swirl marks that just didn't seem to want to disappear, but as time passed (and the paint continued to cure?), I now have a "wet look" Viper! I'm not sure if it was the continued addition of new coats of polish (and believe me, I'm not a fanatic, although Sal's my man!), or some other paint phenomena, but I can tell you, that I have yet to see a member's Viper with a less than perfect, thick, glossy, quality paint.

Can anyone figure out this phenomena? Sal?