Just how much HP can the stock clutch handle before it's time to upgrade?

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I know but I want to hear from the experts.

Here's why I'm asking

For the first time I think my stock clutch is slipping and it's only slipping I think under the spray. Oh by the way it's a Stock (LUK?) with only 3k miles on it. I was back at the track the other night and the car ran great but I'm still running low 11's and trapping 135mph. ***! My 60's were around 1.8's.

A 135mph trap speed should have me deep in the 10's.

If you take in my known rwhp(500) - No NOS - my car runs mid 11's at 125mph While my et may vary (11.47 to 11.9) my traps are very consistent!

Now here's where the NOS makes a different. I was running a 200 shot and the ET only improved a couple of tenths but I gain 10MPH on my trap. The car definatley moves at the end of the track. I'm starting to feel what I would say is tire spin but in reality I think it might be in my clutch. It is really hard to tell the difference. Not that I don't know what a bad clutch would feel like because it's not bad per say but I may be right at the limits of the clutch and it could be slipping. Here's another reason why I think that. My 1/8th mile is right at 7.5's and 100-99mph. No spray it's 7.6's and around 98-96mph

I know if I want to see the 10's (That's my goal) my 1/8th has got to be better than that.

On the street the clutch is not a problem. Traction is ! :omg:

On the track where I'm getting traction (better) it might be time to get a clutch.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have gotten into the 10's on a stock clutch(10.4), but was slipping all the way. It seems to hold up to 650-700HP, but after that you need to upgrade.

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have gotten into the 10's on a stock clutch(10.4), but was slipping all the way. It seems to hold up to 650-700HP, but after that you need to upgrade.

What was your trap speed on a 10.4 pass? And were you on drag radials?

My problem could also be the driver :D

:drive:

OP
OP
V

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rick (ricksrt10 ?) has a stocker in his 920 rwhp car and loves it

WoW ! 920 ! Does Ricks car see the track ? or is it a dyno kind of thing !

I got to get mine on the dyno soon but I'm betting with the NOS I got to be pushing 900 on the torque side and definitely above 650 HP at the rear. NOS cars usually make big torque numbers on the dyno.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my torque number was 856 on NOS and no problem with a stock clutch.

risk DOES track it and drive it often.

BOOST ALMIGHTY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am new to Vipers, but not new to Big HP cars, and I am LOVING THIS THING. You can make TONS of Power and dont have to worry about everything around the car breaking.

Did I forget to mention how much I love my new car. HA

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My stock clutch went on me at the track with just under 700rwhp. It did last a long time before it went. I know many guys that use the stock clutch with a lot more power than me. It will hold, I think the question is for how long and how it is used. Some continue to use stock clutches, they have a good feel, and are cheap compared to others. They may just change them more often.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My stock clutch went on me at the track with just under 700rwhp. It did last a long time before it went. I know many guys that use the stock clutch with a lot more power than me. It will hold, I think the question is for how long and how it is used. Some continue to use stock clutches, they have a good feel, and are cheap compared to others. They may just change them more often.

That's exactly my thinking as well. I can repalce my stock clutch 3 times for one of the exotic ones. For as little racing as I do the stock clutch fits my needs better and at a better price.