Just installed Belanger headers and exhaust and ck engine light came on

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just place the sensor closer (like the new Belanger design), i had mine on for 1,500mils with no light.

SamC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris's CE light is not likely coming from the O2 sensor location but rather from the cat delete. The header O2 sensor problem was found in creampuffs (2000-2001) Vipers. Have the codes read off the computer to make certain. As I understand it, the APEX SankeBox is the best solution to the CE light secondary to a cat delete.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean of NJ:
Hey Chris,

ACR Joe and I have the same setup as you and installed the Apex snakebox which completely took care of the light for both of us. Apex is a sponsor on this site and you can find their phone # and www on this site.

Sean

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean is 100% correct. We both have the same setup as Chris 99 GTS and the Apex Snakeboxs eliminated the light and objectionable driveability (surging, belching raw emissions, etc.) in both cars. Neither Sean nor I had to relocate the front O2 sensors so I wouldn't go there.

Good luck .....

SamC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will need to take it to a dealer to read the codes. I would bet a lot of money on a bad cat code. Give APEX a call and they can give you more info.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually you can read the code yourself by cycling the ignition key On-Off-On-Off-On-Off within 5 seconds. The check engine light will flash a two digit code. Example: 7 flashes,pause, two flashes is code 72 which is catalyst efficiency below required level. Let us know which code/codes it throws and we can let you know what it is. Or you can get a shop manual which has all the codes. Good luck

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jcaspar1:
Actually you can read the code yourself by cycling the ignition key On-Off-On-Off-On-Off within 5 seconds. The check engine light will flash a two digit code. Example: 7 flashes,pause, two flashes is code 72 which is catalyst efficiency below required level. Let us know which code/codes it throws and we can let you know what it is. Or you can get a shop manual which has all the codes. Good luck

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Jeff. Actually, you cannot. After 1997 Vipers, the onboard diagnostics are no longer available. Too bad. It was very handy. 1998's + have to go to dealer, or you can order the Ease PC Based Scan Tool from Sean Roe, and do it yourself.

Chuck G.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1) catless causes the code.....not the belanger headers or cat-back.

2) An O-2 simulator product, like the APEX product, will permananetly turn off the light. This fix is for CATLESS cars only. As in NO CATS.

3) PartsRack can provide a menu of nifty hand-held reader devices for codes. $179 - $299 - $399.