Just watched a Speed Channel special....

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The show was Muscle cars (I forget the exact name), they did a special on vipers. It must have been produced in 2002 because they had limited info about the new 2003 model, so some of you may have seen it already. It was a history of the car from concept on through the production years. I learned a couple of things:

-- one of the head designers was a Frenchman, forget his name (I don't mind, but
some of the authors of threads on this forum may be a little upset).

-- when the GTS came out in 96 they reduced the weight of the suspension by 60
pounds with aluminum parts.

-- also in 96 they made the chasis stiffer.

-- GTS R, the models available to the public were actually replicas of a handful of
GTS Rs built for sale to race teams only. The original R produced 700hp NA,
and had a carbon fiber body on a full tube chasis.

That brings a couple questions to mind about the GTS R. How many replicas were produced and how much are they worth? Where did the real GTS Rs go? Are they still out there somewhere?
One thing that surprised me was they didn't mention anything about the ACR model.

With the knowledge I've witnessed on this board I'm sure someone knows more about the GTS R.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've seen the show before, but I just noticed two names I know. At the end of the show, they have a graphic "Special Thanks To", and it said Doug Levin, and Chuck Babel. I feel very important and cool to know who those people are!!! Not to forget Tony Darwin, and Gary Lashinsky, et al.

(I know, I know, I need to get out more!!!)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Mule, I never learned much about that car. If you bump this post up for a couple of days, I'm sure someone will chime in.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the info you are looking for is in the Viper Registry.

Scroll down to '98... http://ivr.viperclub.org/features.php Trivia, the GT-2's are the only Vipers (so far) to be built in VIN sequence. (Hope you don't mind, Added be Mod)

My recollection is 100 made in 1998 called GT2. All white with blue stripes and a wing.

The "frenchman" was Francois Castaing. He was Engineering VP at the time.

rac156

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just saw the show for the first time. I was suprised that there was no mention of the ACR also.

Heres what I know about the GTS R (a.k.a. GT2) replicas:

100 were produced in 1998
460Hp vs the standard 450
special body pieces including the CF rear wing.

as for price #1 and #100 will be worth more than the others
I'll let someone who has a little more first hand knowledge give some numbers.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in that show with Pete Frantzis, Doug, Tony (Sir Hiss) and Chuck. I was getting all sideways on the straight away, but Chuck made the best burnouts that day. We all had a blast that day.

SSLIDER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another neat fact on those GTS-R's......Each of the hundred that came down the line had a one time use disposable camera with it....as the cars stopped at each assembly station, the Craftspersons would take a picture or two of the car in its various assembly stages. No two sets of developed pictures are the same. PRETTY NEAT IDEA THAT CAME FROM A VCA MEMBER.

OP
OP
M

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice link Throttle. Very informative site. Looking at the GT2 vs the ACR, there isn't any difference.

So where are these original 700hp GT2s?

Has copied the formula to get 700 naturally aspirated hp?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude