Katrina Victim- a little long

STOUT 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
History:
Being a Katrina victim, I want to give due recognition to those I have dealt with as a result of this natural disaster. I live/d in Slidell, Louisiana and were to mandatory evacuate by noon on Sunday before Katrina hit. Contra-flow was in effect (all lanes of interstate are outbound) and there are several cross over lanes to utilize the other side of the interstate. To make a long story short, some lanes were moving faster than others, some even at a standstill or slow creep. A vehicle in the slow lane decided to pull into the fast lane, where I was, without looking and I was involved in a hit and run.

Yes, those who remember, this is my second damaged Viper this year. The first was my Gen 1 that was totaled last January. The front clip got damaged by the hit and run and needs to be replaced. The bad part is the oil cooler got compromised and started to blow oil. Contra-flow mandated I take interstate 59 into Mississippi; my hotel reservation (the only room I could find) was in Nacogdoches, Texas. Several frequent stops were made to monitor oil level and we did make it to Texas.

I notified my insurance company, American Hobbyist Insurance (AHI), and informed them of the situation. I did not want to drive the GTS any further in its current condition and asked the Dodge dealer in Nacogdoches for assistance. I wanted to leave it for approximately a week so Woodhouse Dodge could pick it up. This “five star” dealer tried to take advantage of my situation by charging me several fees to leave it at his dealership. In addition, he wanted to make the repairs. The damage at this point was not assessed and I wanted Woodhouse to do this. He stated that he has a viper tech (which I doubt) on payroll and wanted to fix it. It turned out a storage unit was cheaper than his fees, so that’s what I did.

Summary:
Woodhouse had picked it up and has been their usual awesomeness.

AHI was also awesome in their performance, understanding and coverage. If you get the chance, call and give them the opportunity for your insurance needs. You might be surprised.

Dodge dealer in Nacogdoches *****, for obvious reasons.

Jon, Parts Rack, Good guy. Thank you for your tire offer. The front tires got flat spotted as a result of the accident. Insurance will cover the front ones but not the rears. Jon, I cannot afford to replace the rears at this time for reasons I give later.

Mike at MBX Motorsports, Good guy. I had ordered a stripe kit before Katrina hit. The kit was damaged and Mike helped me out with a new set.

Outcome:
House and other personal vehicle is a total loss. Have been living in a hotel room since the storm. All family members are OK. Only thing of material value left is the GTS. Allstate, my home insurer, *****. As of date, they have not looked at my property, No temporary quarters allowance, ALE money, has been received though stated it was overnight mailed two weeks ago. They are already playing game on loss values. Allstate stated they had to use certain value data (auto related) as dictated by the Louisiana Insurance Commissioner. After contact with the commissioner’s office, that is untrue and even illegal for the commissioner to do so. Time will tell how all this works out. If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any. God bless.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason, that really *****. Not only the Viper part, but your entire situation. I truly wish you the best and hope it all finally comes together for you. Did you happen to get a tag # on the low life who hit you and took off? I wouldve been tempted to chase him (not sure how possible this was with the traffic mess) and showed him a couple other ways a 4 way lug wrench can be used. Good luck getting your Viper fixed and the rest of your life put together!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well... if I could only take one posession with me, it would be the Viper as well. So sorry about your loss. Thank God your family is ok. I know you're not looking for a handout, but I'd bet the folks here are willing to help any way they can.

Looks like you're NOT in good hands with Allstate. Maybe all the members here insured by them should give them a call. :mad:

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank goodness that you're ok. Sorry to hear of the inconveniences, but thank God your car is hurt and you had no funerals to attend. Stay positive - all will work out.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a very disheartening story. But I guess life goes on and you will soon be up and about, ready for a new start. Wish you luck.

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hang in there Jason. It can only get better, right? You have lost a great deal. Hurricane Ivan destroyed my Pensacola Beach condo and Dennis levelled it to the ground.
Till today, we have no idea what the outcome of the building will be. We keep in good spirits knowing there are many out there that are in a worse situation than we are.
We wish you the best and hope everything works out soon.

Bindy

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Wish you well, hope things look up soon.