Keep the 03, or upgrade, or wait next gen opinions

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I know I'm asking a question there's no answer to, but I keep tossing it around & figured I'd see what folks here thought.

From my sig you can see my '03, I love it. And it's running strong as you can see from my MPH in the quarter. So, I've been thinking if I should make a couple mods or do something else. Here are optins I've been tossing around -

Keep it: do a Gen4/3.55 diff, AutoForm rollbar, and maybe stripe(s)

Wait: keep it til I see what the next gen will look like to see if I like it, if so, hang on until I can cash pay for one and upgrade then, this would be a 2-3 yrs, so I'd probably do the diff upgrade only, for fun

upgrade now: go with a gen3, I see some nice 08's in the low 60's even high 50's, which is incredible. Sell mine in the mid 30's, which I think is doable, and invest the $25K (approx) in getting an 08. Mods then would only be exhaust & rollbar.

So, what ya think ...:dunno:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd jump on the Gen IV - it's hugely improved over the Gen III, and for the extra $25k you'll have to dish out, you're getting a lot more than $25k worth of car, plus you can have a warranty... The problem is selling the existing car - that's a pain in the butt these days.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the Gen 3. See, the problem with us Viper people is we will start to find upgrades to any Gen car. So, if you get a Gen 4 you will start to find things to change and still spend a bunch of money in mods. If money is no object, get a Gen 4. If money does matter, make your mods to the Gen 3 and wait. Visually, they are basically the same. I don't think th extra $25K is worth it. You could buy a lot of mods for that money or you could get a Gen 1 or even 2 for that and have 2 Vipers.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm....you said, "upgrade", right?

Wait: keep it til I see what the next gen will look like to see if I like it, if so, hang on until I can cash pay for one and upgrade then, this would be a 2-3 yrs, so I'd probably do the diff upgrade only, for fun

So, you need to get a Gen. 2. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep it. GenIII's are way more mod friendly at least until such time as there's more support for the GenIV PCM.

You can get a GenIII diff built by Unitrax with a Quaife and what ever gears you want with the ability to change the gears later [ not so much with the GenIV rear end ] and then if you want stupid power, you can turbo it. Roe even has a pretty reasonable TT kit now -- for the GenIII.

Looks wise they are the same pretty much except the hood vents and you can put a GenIV hood on a GenIII PnP.

JMOHO YMMV
--FQB

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
keep it, wait for the new one...your exisitng car is not going to depreciate a whole bunch more at this point

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your looking for more power, Id say spend the cash on FI system or head/cam.

If you want an overall better car, sell yours and get the Gen 4, which you would probably sell for a Gen 5, which you would probably sell for a Gen 6....

If you want more power just upgrade ur gen 3, if you want a more refined car, wait until the Gen 5 hits.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want more power just upgrade ur gen 3, if you want a more refined car, wait until the Gen 5 hits.

EXACTLY!

I think the Gen IV is worth it for everyone except Gen III owners. While I don't think anyone will argue the Gen IV isn't a better car, it just isn't worth the price increase from what Gen IIIs are selling for...it just isn't a big enough difference in the car for normal cruising duties. Couple all of that with a Gen V around the corner...

AllBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep it. Wait to see if you like the Gen V.

What I would do: 10 k = supercharger installed = Gen IV power plus, as well as you get a wicked mod that looks and sounds badass

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off why sell so cheap....are you in texas or does the car have over 50k miles????

kbb has been going up...i got an offer of 40k for my 03 around 8 months ago when the kbb was only 42k...now its went up to 45k for kbb ...

i sold my 91 nsx and then almost sold my 03 srt10 for the same reason as you..i wanted a ssg 2008 coupe...

but when the chips were down and the offer was in front of me i just couldnt let her go...

when it really comes down to it a gen three and gen four are the exact same exterior and interior minus a hood change and rims...mine has a 08 hood and the stock rims are powder coated black....

the only differance is in power...440 rwhp for a gen 3 and 540 rwhp for a gen 4......and that at 3380 pounds for a gen3 vert it is 70 pounds lighter than a 3450 pound gen4 vert/coupe...

i decided to loose weight via a carbon fiber 2008 hood...no cats....titanium exhaust....light weight findanza flywheel...light weight under drive pully....Total weight savings of 100 pounds

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So from 3380 pounds to 3280 pounds (my catless titanium exhaust weighs 10 pounds complete) weighed it and was shocked!

440 rwhp and 3280 pounds is still not gonna match 540 rwhp and 3450 pounds. so i did some engine and tuneing modifications. dynoing in a week and expecting 510 rwhp..

as well getting a light weight battery...hopeing 3250 pounds and 510 rwhp will have her even with a 2008 acceleration wise....

i wanted a 2008....but a good viper buddy talked me into pursuing this route....when the chips were down...well 20k to go from a srt10 viper to another srt10 viper just didnt seem worth it.......

i figure i can still do headers/throttle body/ported manifold and head work....end up around 550-600 rwhp..but still only be in the 32xx pounds range....

good luck with your choice..but havent regretted mine for a second..with my 03 nearly paid off and the kbb riseing...im as happy with my choice as could be

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, I knew this would help, I love how this forum gives you someone to "talk" to about things like this and get opinions.

I'm not really looking for more hp, I'm trapping at 125-126 mph, which is surprisingly strong, I don't think stock gen4's trap more than 3-5mph better, and I've done a bunch of 11.70's without trying too hard so I'm happy with hp performance. Would like more playful street gearing, and I think about the car being 8 yrs old. And seeing those attractive prices on gen4's is so temping.

I like the statement that the gen4 is worth the extra 25k, except maybe for a gen3 owner, that may make sense to me and why I've been stuck on this. Especially considering I have the Vipair hood and new 6 spokes, the car looks like a brand new 09 and runs almost as strong.

I'm at 21k trouble free miles, I didn't know prices on gen3 recovered a bit, but I see what you mean in doing some searches, I guess 40k for what I have would actually be a very good deal.

I guess the smart thing would be to wait, see what the gen5 is like and decide then, I wish we could get some info on it. But now I cant help think - if I could sell mine at say 42k and I could steal an 08 at 59k, that's only 17k to go 5 yrs newer and the new tech, warranty, etc. I'm feeling ******. LoL

Oh and I had a gen2 and had to pry my hand off the steering wheel when sold it, my first viper love affair, so i know what you mean on the gen2. ;-) But the new style eventually won me over heart and soul.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same here..went from a 99 rt10 to a 2003 srt10....both awesome but the srt10 is just more of what I want..

If you really dont just want more power than I cant really see any reason to get a gen4 over a gen3??? Ive got a aquaintance who does 5 year maxcare warranty's for 03 vipers...$3xxx.00 and a 100$ deductable for 5 years is pretty amazeing..

good luck

ExplorerThis

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Honestly...If you go to gen4 you know its not mod friendly if you want "big" power. Sure it has the better rear end and trans but thats do-able on your current gen3.

I just hope this TVS thing goes through because I think a roots blower on a gen3 would be the cats meow.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, the TVS would be a cool option for sure, and one that would have me thinking .... as if I'm not confused enough.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I know I'm asking a question there's no answer to, but I keep tossing it around & figured I'd see what folks here thought.

From my sig you can see my '03, I love it. And it's running strong as you can see from my MPH in the quarter. So, I've been thinking if I should make a couple mods or do something else. Here are optins I've been tossing around -

Keep it: do a Gen4/3.55 diff, AutoForm rollbar, and maybe stripe(s)

upgrade now: go with a gen3, I see some nice 08's in the low 60's even high 50's, which is incredible. Sell mine in the mid 30's, which I think is doable, and invest the $25K (approx) in getting an 08. Mods then would only be exhaust & rollbar.

So, what ya think ...:dunno:

I think you should let me know when you're selling your car. :D

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had a Gen 3 I would not sell it for a Gen 4. The cars are essentially the same, different hood and wheels with some more hp. For the hobbyist the only difference is the hp. If I was in the market to buy a 3 or 4, the choice would be obvious.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had a Gen 3 I would not sell it for a Gen 4. The cars are essentially the same, different hood and wheels with some more hp. For the hobbyist the only difference is the hp. If I was in the market to buy a 3 or 4, the choice would be obvious.

You might not say that if you had owned and driven both. Different engine, transmission, shifter, clutch, rear end, exhaust, hood, tires and more. Like night and day....

Bill

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, I've not driven a gen4, that'd be an interesting comparison actually. Swap cars for a drive with a gen4 guy for a few miles and see how they feel back to back.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
You might not say that if you had owned and driven both. Different engine, transmission, shifter, clutch, rear end, exhaust, hood, tires and more. Like night and day....

Bill

This. I went from a S/C Gen 3 with tons of mods to my Gen 4 aero coupe. Incredible difference between the 2 cars. I can't even imagine how big a difference it would be from a stock Gen 3 to a Gen 4.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an 03, and now drive an 09.

If I was you my first choice would be a rear gear, or upgrade to an 09 pumpkin if possible.

500 hp with 3:54 gear is a pretty frisky street fighter.

Great bang for the buck refresh.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This. I went from a S/C Gen 3 with tons of mods to my Gen 4 aero coupe. Incredible difference between the 2 cars. I can't even imagine how big a difference it would be from a stock Gen 3 to a Gen 4.

You mean in the refinement of the cars? The SC vs non-SC reference i don't quite get.

Power wise, I'd see very little difference, I'm hitting 126mph (126.3mph PB so far) in the quarter with my mild bolt-ons, I have a strong car, I see most 08-09's that post are in the 124-127mph range (1 or 2 in the 128-129 range), that's a pretty much a power match at the wheels.

But refinement wise, and ease with which you can achieve the numbers, I'd think would be a different story. I'd love to check it out.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Bill

Honestly if your driving an 03 you should be on newer PS2 tires anyways. If your driving on 8 year old tires you have a serious safety issue. Honestly you can upgrade to a paxton supercharger, giken rear end and have 200 more horsepower than a 08 viper for less money. Then you dont have to sell your viper and pay sales tax ($ thousands) for a newer one with less horsepower.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
You mean in the refinement of the cars? The SC vs non-SC reference i don't quite get.

Power wise, I'd see very little difference, I'm hitting 126mph (126.3mph PB so far) in the quarter with my mild bolt-ons, I have a strong car, I see most 08-09's that post are in the 124-127mph range (1 or 2 in the 128-129 range), that's a pretty much a power match at the wheels.

But refinement wise, and ease with which you can achieve the numbers, I'd think would be a different story. I'd love to check it out.

Ya, I mean refinement. My S/C car was 651 rwhp, and my new car is 556 rwhp. The Gen 4 just does everything better and easier.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Honestly you can upgrade to a paxton supercharger, giken rear end and have 200 more horsepower than a 08 viper for less money. Then you dont have to sell your viper and pay sales tax ($ thousands) for a newer one with less horsepower.

Sure, if you want to constantly worry about temp's and A/F mixture and all the other crap that comes with a paxton. I wanted to be able to run the road courses without worrying about my engine overheating. Plus, I didn't like losing 75 hp after just 2 laps due to heatsoak. My S/C car was built and tuned by DC, so you know it was done right. Had CC oil pan and oilier, lightweight flywheel, upgraded I/C and rad for the Paxton, list goes on. Push it hard though, and the temp's still came up. The Gen 4 just does it all better and with less effort.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sure, if you want to constantly worry about temp's and A/F mixture and all the other crap that comes with a paxton. I wanted to be able to run the road courses without worrying about my engine overheating. Plus, I didn't like losing 75 hp after just 2 laps due to heatsoak. My S/C car was built and tuned by DC, so you know it was done right. Had CC oil pan and oilier, lightweight flywheel, upgraded I/C and rad for the Paxton, list goes on. Push it hard though, and the temp's still came up. The Gen 4 just does it all better and with less effort.

Personally I have never had to worry about AF mixture, temps, or any "crap" that comes with a paxton. I'm not sure if that is because I dont track mine. The poster didnt mention anything about tracking his car either but only streetuse and drag runs. But for everyday street use with a 170degree thermostat (and in the summer I drive it like 5 days a week when not raining) and even back to back to back quarter mile runs I have never had any of those issues. It was supercharged by woodhouse and is pretty bulletproof and I've had no problems for like 2 years now being supercharged.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Personally I have never had to worry about AF mixture, temps, or any "crap" that comes with a paxton. I'm not sure if that is because I dont track mine. The poster didnt mention anything about tracking his car either but only streetuse and drag runs. But for everyday street use with a 170degree thermostat (and in the summer I drive it like 5 days a week when not raining) and even back to back to back quarter mile runs I have never had any of those issues. It was supercharged by woodhouse and is pretty bulletproof and I've had no problems for like 2 years now being supercharged.

You nailed it. Cruising and street pulls are great. Push that puppy on a track and see what happens. My S/C car held up great aside from heatsoak and climbing temps, but I prefer to watch the track and not my A/F mixture.

bcutson

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey DMan,

My first viper was a 05 SRT-10 Copperhead Edition. I traded it in last year for a 2008 coupe. Both are (were) bone stock and here's my two cents of what I noticed:

The Gen 3 viper has more low end grunt below 3K RPM. The Gen4 clearly has more power when you near 4K RPM and beyond. The biggest difference I noticed between the Gen 3 and Gen 4 was the transmission. The Gen 4 has such an improved shift feel and it moves around much less when making shifts in the higher RPMs. This makes the 2nd to 3rd gear high RPM shifts much easier and less prone to missing on the Gen4. I have no regrets making the switch but I do miss the roadster option. Nothing like cruising with the top down. Just like the looks of the coupe better.

I also have a 01 GTS ACR which I will never sell and is my favorite of all the Vipers I've driven. It's nowhere as fast as my 08 but I don't care. There's just something about the Gen 2s.

-Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang