Keep the ACR or buy a ACR X

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MB;

Good luck to you! The yellow #35X will work just fine. I pick on yellow cars but then again my yellow 69 Mach 1 is my slowest one in my mini collection too. Ha! Ha!

If I could ever be done with this career nonsense, I would love to be right there with you guys in an ACRX.

Hope you land it! AND Mopar Boy knows I was just joshing him, though his yellow car is even slower than normal when he is behind the wheel. :)
Rick

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Guys ..... just waiting to hear back then will decide which car to pick up.

Like a kid in the candy store right now.

MB

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the ACRX has forged internals and is sealed. It will last longer that a standard Viper motor in the smae conditions.

Bruce

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mopar Boy I hope yellow isn't an issue ...... I just made an offer on #35.

MB

Yellow is a great color choice! The issue is people are jealous of how nice the yellow cars are so comments always fly. :D

So fitting 35 would come to Ontario! :yay:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you guys are discussing at two scenarios...one is the current ACR owner versus someone deciding which car to buy as a track car when you have neither. The bath you will take on resale of an ACR as an owner is much more than what it costs to cage a car ($5k) and add a seat ($1k) and fire system ($1k). So safety isn't an issue if you are talking about money in the equation, bcz you can add those parts for way way way less than the money you will lose on the trade. You can also boost the power above the "X" if you do heads and headers on an ACR. I have close to 700 HP versus 640 for the X. As for durability, if you are running endurance races that would be a factor too. If you are starting with nothing, and want a track only car, of course go with the X or CC. One more word on resale, using Ferrari as a benchmark, the CS holds its value better than a Challenge car. Always has, always will, since way more guys want street legal esp after the car is no longer competitive on the track.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you want a track only Viper a used Competition Coupe or a ACRX are great choices. A Competition Coupe is a much better all around race car and with an upgrade engine can outperform an ACRX. Comp Coupes are available, spares are easy to come by and they can be modified and raced easier than an ACRX.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Competition Coupe is a much better all around race car and with an upgrade engine can outperform an ACRX. Comp Coupes are available, spares are easy to come by and they can be modified and raced easier than an ACRX.

Finally, someone with the right answer. Put the same Michelin slicks on the CC and it will outperform the X with less HP. Any Viper race car is a great race car in my book!

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When DMS get's the CC sanctioning and approval for 2012 they're going after, it quite possibly will have a generational upgrade that will put it's HP level above the ACR-X? Lighter along with it's full race chasis will probably put the CC back on top of the game until Gen 5 hits the track.. We're involved in a few client projects that should make for an intersting year for the CC and probably bring back the respect they deserve. DMS built a fantastic chasis that's about to shine all over again. But if your interest's are to compete in the DVC, the choice is clear and the 2012 seasons schedule is a good one!

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Toddy do you have the 2012 Sched for the Viper Cup? I looked yesterday and only saw the 2011 sched. I would like to see if I could get into the series for a few races but being in Ontario makes for some long drives if TX and FL are where the races are held.
Thx MB

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Boxer ... good points on the expense. Luckily I'm not too concerned about the extra costs now I was looking to the forum for extra thoughts or ideas. Now I just really want a X . You bring up a good point re extra HP. Is there gains to be had on the X or is it leave it as it is especially if trying to run in the Cup series? MB

I think you guys are discussing at two scenarios...one is the current ACR owner versus someone deciding which car to buy as a track car when you have neither. The bath you will take on resale of an ACR as an owner is much more than what it costs to cage a car ($5k) and add a seat ($1k) and fire system ($1k). So safety isn't an issue if you are talking about money in the equation, bcz you can add those parts for way way way less than the money you will lose on the trade. You can also boost the power above the "X" if you do heads and headers on an ACR. I have close to 700 HP versus 640 for the X. As for durability, if you are running endurance races that would be a factor too. If you are starting with nothing, and want a track only car, of course go with the X or CC. One more word on resale, using Ferrari as a benchmark, the CS holds its value better than a Challenge car. Always has, always will, since way more guys want street legal esp after the car is no longer competitive on the track.

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you guys are discussing at two scenarios...one is the current ACR owner versus someone deciding which car to buy as a track car when you have neither. The bath you will take on resale of an ACR as an owner is much more than what it costs to cage a car ($5k) and add a seat ($1k) and fire system ($1k). So safety isn't an issue if you are talking about money in the equation, bcz you can add those parts for way way way less than the money you will lose on the trade.

This is exactly why I'm in the process of installing equipment in my ACR. If I could rewind about 18 months I would have just bought an X, but at the time I bought my black ACR I wasn't sure if I would go cruising with my wife in her green car. It turns out when we do cruise I'm taking the GTS because my ACR usually has slicks on it, the full extension, pretty aggressive alignment, and suspension set up for track duty. I'm deeper into the track thing now and am bumping up the safety equipment now that I have gotten faster.

Have fun with your new X!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anybody know how much it costs to enter a viper cup race?

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toddy do you have the 2012 Sched for the Viper Cup? I looked yesterday and only saw the 2011 sched. I would like to see if I could get into the series for a few races but being in Ontario makes for some long drives if TX and FL are where the races are held.
Thx MB

MBPERF,

Dodge Motorsports official press release is coming soon for the DVC's 2012 season details. Check your email..:D

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can afford the X and can afford to track it, buy it. If you can't afford it then stay with the ACR. It really isn't a difficult decision.

I gotta reply to this...
Truthfully, for a second let's talk about reality. What's the point of driving an ACR on the street, I mean really, just to show off. Your never going to see it's potential on the street anyway,
I couldn't disagree more. For an extreme comparison as an example, I drive both my RT/10 and my pickup truck. Do I really need to describe the difference in feel? Seriously? The same is true for comparing a Viper to a Porsche to a Ferrari, etc. There is a thrill to driving a car that gives you the feel you like regardless of if it is on a track or normal street driving and it has nothing to do with showing off. Anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about probably has their own "look at my new 20's" thread and wouldn't know the "feel" difference between a Ferrari and a school bus.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can afford the X and can afford to track it, buy it. If you can't afford it then stay with the ACR. It really isn't a difficult decision.

I gotta reply to this...

I couldn't disagree more. For an extreme comparison as an example, I drive both my RT/10 and my pickup truck. Do I really need to describe the difference in feel? Seriously? The same is true for comparing a Viper to a Porsche to a Ferrari, etc. There is a thrill to driving a car that gives you the feel you like regardless of if it is on a track or normal street driving and it has nothing to do with showing off. Anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about probably has their own "look at my new 20's" thread and wouldn't know the "feel" difference between a Ferrari and a school bus.

Here's the deal, personally speaking, if I had the choice of owning an ACR or an ACR-X knowing I could never drive the ACR-X on the street. I'd pick the ultimate weapon, because I'm not the guy that has to drive my car on the street. It's about no compromises for me, nothing but performance, period. As much as I love driving it on the street, it pales to putting it on the track, as Im sure you'd understand. So given the choice, I'd lose my street driving option (in theory anyway), to own the best, especially when they cost essentially the same.

When I purchased my car, the GEN II ACR was the best. Sorry to offend anyone, but if I couldn't purchase an ACR I would have never bought a RT/10 or a regular GTS. I'd also never puchase a convertible GEN III either. Now that I've allienated myself, hopefully you get my point. My only slip up, I suppose, was that I wanted a specific color.... Steel Grey. I suppose there is some emotion after all.

Anyway Congrats on your decision MBPERF your going to love your new Factory Hot Rod.

Last edited:

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '08 ACR (street car), '08 ACR (built into a race car), and an ACR-X. I also have a T1 SCCA Viper (avatar pic). The number one reason I have the race cars is because I like to race, and safety is paramount! My wife races the T1 Viper and there is no way she's getting on the track without a cage, race seat/harnesses/HANS, and fire suppression! If you want to race in the DVC, then the X is the way to go. If you want to race in other venues (e.g., US GT Championship), then an ACR converted into a race car is a worthwhile thought. Because the DVC is a spec series, mods are not permitted. I competed in the DVC both years, and it's a lot of fun. In a non-spec series you can make mods that really help (mono balls, sway bars, etc.). GOOD LUCK!

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I purchased a Viper ACR X yesterday!! I bought a car that has run the DVC Series for the past two years. More info to come.

MB

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man, if you live in Michigan and can afford an ACR-X, you should be able to register it as a kit car or collectable for limited on-road use. They allow us to register dune buggies, T-Buckets, dirt bikes, and replicas for on-road use, so there's a loophole somewhere for this thing. Imagine an ACR-X cruisin' Woodward...

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, are you selling your ACR now? You should let us know the details so we can spread the word.

Yes I am going to put the ACR up for sale. Will get some pics posted here this week. MB

OP
OP
M

MBPERF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well here it is..... finally got it to our shop. Would like to say "Thanks" to Bernie for putting this deal together.

We are giving it a once over this week then off to VIR for our first shake down run on Feb 23,24 and 25th.

MB

You must be registered for see images attach

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well here it is..... finally got it to our shop. Would like to say "Thanks" to Bernie for putting this deal together.

We are giving it a once over this week then off to VIR for our first shake down run on Feb 23,24 and 25th.

MB

Beautiful, beautiful car!