"Keep your new painted cowl looking that way"

fe155

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\"Keep your new painted cowl looking that way\"

I ordered a painted cowl from Autoform and it will be here on Tuesday.
Red with white stripes . In looking at the old cowl , which iv'e had off several times i noticed a scuff mark from one end to the next. it actually was wearing into the plastic. It was the seal that goes across the rear lip of the hood working into it. well i thought i could fix two things at the same time.
I removed the seal and the plastic clips which leaves about 1/4 inch space for all that hot air surrounding my S/C and intake to escape and my new cowl will have nothing touching it. The hottest my car ever gets is the needle touching
the third line near the 190 temp mark on the right , now in barely touches on the left. works for me . If you drive in rain or wash your car you may want to be careful but in San Diego im not worried about rain.Hope it was helpful.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Have others had similar success reducing running temperature by removing the hood seal?

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
Re:

I removed my cowl and drilled a series of 3/8 inch holes in the highest part of the cowl and then painted the cowl the same color as the car. After I painted it I installed small wire mesh screen on the underside of the cowl to help keep out debris and bugs. I think it helped the cooling considerably. I also cut out the speaker hole on the drivers side to give more ventilation. I wash the car at least once a week and have driven it in the rain a few times. There is nothing under the hood that will be hurt by washing or rain water.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

When you say it helped the cooling, can you see the improvement on your temperature guage?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razorwire