Keeping viper parts after upgrading

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Necessary?...not really.

Smart?...YES in my opinion...especially when it comes time to sell the Viper. There are occasions when some cars are more appealing to certain buyers when sold as stock vs. modified. Keep your options open if you have the storage room.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
definitely keep anything painted, like the hood. Chuck the rest, its worthless.

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1999 RT-10 and I have saved all the original parts like the shifter and stock exhaust system. With so few Vipers built it is a good idea to have the items in case you decide to sell in 10 years or so and someone wants to be able to put it back to its original look. I also have been able to come up with an extra front and rear fascia, hoping I won't need to use them. In fact my extra front fascia is painted and ready to go and I can swap it out with the original one when it gets scuffed up.

I restored a 1964 Ford Galaxie convertible a few years ago and I would have loved to have a few of the original parts as well as some extras.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I kept all of mine stock parts. I like to believe that some day twenty or thirty years from now the car and the stock parts will be worth something more then what you can get for them now by selling them.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep them...always a stronger selling point from most buyers perspective....

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is really a personal choice. If you have the room to keep the parts around and look at the car as an investment, keep the parts. If you have it to enjoy it and do not have the space, sell or give the parts away. I just bundled some parts I still had around from my old Gen II and some of the take off parts from my Gen III for a very, very low price just to give them a proper home. A local member bought all of them and picked them up from me. My wife was thrilled at the creation of additional storage space. It was a Holifay gift to her. It is also my intent to someday give my car to my son when the ravages of time have deprived me of a sufficient skill set to drive it the way it was meant to be driven. This year, I started the process by buying him an all day lesson with an excellent instructor at a Hooked On Driving event at Homestead Speedway. ( They use a Vette instruction car.) He had never driven a high performance manual shift car. ). He came away with much better driving skills and a big smile on his face. Sorry to get off topic a bit.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I still have the stock hood, exhaust, shifter, console panels and on and on. At first it seemed wise to keep them if and when the car was traded in. Now with it almost a certainly the Viper as we know it, or at all, is nada, it's unlikely I will sell the car. So I too am wondering why I have money sitting in a garage doing nothing. I think it's time to sell.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it really necessary to keep hoods, brake rotors, exhaust after upgrading my 04 SRT-10?

Just to give you an idea, I would not buy your car without the parts if I could find a stock car. That might be crazy, but I like stock. There are also others that are similar to me. So, if you have room, keep the parts. You lose a part of potential buyers without them.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still have all my original parts from my 1995 RT/10 in storage. just waiting for the person that wants a 100 point car down the road.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still have all my original parts from my 1995 RT/10 in storage. just waiting for the person that wants a 100 point car down the road.

Indeed, I have a few(many) gen 1 parts in my garage attic too....... Junk for some but $ may be out there one day. Why not save the good condition used parts??

- my .02

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any collectible car kept long enough will always be worth more if it's all original, and any Viper will be collectible. The only question is how long will it take.
Just ask all the Midyear Corvette guys who gave away their parts back in the day.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drained in saved all the original oil filters from my cars:). Now, before you all write and ask, you can't have one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang