Knocking noise in rear brakes

blackvenom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So this is my first time doing a set of brembos but I have done tons of other brake jobs. After changing out rotors and pads I have a knocking noise coming from the rear area. It can be heard at low speeds so I havent even taken the car around the block yet. Could I have missed something that some one new to a brembo set up would not know their first time?

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get a clunk/knock every now and then at low speeds. I did so in my 08 and get it in my 09. I've asked about it in the past on the forums and told it was "normal Viper noises"

Are you sure it's related to the brakes?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the caliper mounting bolts lose torque -actually the threads pulled a little.
The calipers would knock when applying the brakes in reverse after stopping forward.
(Moving against the mounting bolts)
Fixed it by installing Heli-coil thread inserts in the knuckles.

Try to tighten the caliper bolts (torque is 55 ft lbs), if they just turn, this is the deal.
If they are tight, the noise is obviously somewhere else. I would check this though as you seem to not have had the noise until after changing the rotors.
-there isn't anything you can mis-assemble in the pads that would make a knocking noise.

OP
OP
B

blackvenom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stupid question.....are the rotors all the same size? They came with no labels and everything looked identical.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rotors are all the same size but front and rear are differant, also check to make sure you have the brake pad pins all the way inserted into the caliper

OP
OP
B

blackvenom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stupid question.....are the rotors all the same size? They came with no labels and everything looked identical.

Because clearances all looked good when I checked after hearing this noise. Next thing I am going to do is run it on jack stands with the wheels off so I can look around.

OP
OP
B

blackvenom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
rotors are all the same size but front and rear are differant, also check to make sure you have the brake pad pins all the way inserted into the caliper

problem solved, do you know a way to measure to find out which one is which?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
problem solved, do you know a way to measure to find out which one is which?

I believe that the offset is different front and rear, which you could measure from the friction surface to the hub mounting surface; but, sorry, I couldn't tell you which goes where. Perhaps you could figure out that from the caliper mounting position; or, just wait until someone who has the answer at hand comes along. ( its always something, isn't it? )

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you replace the rotors with OEM or two piece / slotted such as Stoptech? Are the latter inherently more noisy?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my two piece are higher coned in the front than the rear (hub section)

OP
OP
B

blackvenom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my two piece are higher coned in the front than the rear (hub section)

Yep, I found brake rotor dimensions on the net and I am going to measure tonight...Fronts are 2.34 inches tall and rears are 2.05, from face of rotor to top of hat.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The offset is indeed different from font to back. However, if you did all 4 corners and got the rotors mixed up, you never would have gotten the calipers to bolt up correctly if you had them wrong.
Trust me on this. lol

OP
OP
B

blackvenom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I measured the rotors and checked the part numbers for the 2 that I have off the car and they are for sure front rotors. Which means either the ones on the car are rears or they sent me the wrong ones when they shipped the set. Now I am thinking that I potentially left the caliper bolts loose. I don't get how the calipers would be able to fit with the way they are designed if the wrong rotor was on(since the caliper doesn't float). I hope when I have time to check tomorrow its just loose bolts.

OP
OP
B

blackvenom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The offset is indeed different from font to back. However, if you did all 4 corners and got the rotors mixed up, you never would have gotten the calipers to bolt up correctly if you had them wrong.
Trust me on this. lol

Thats what I thought too....has to be loose bolts or something not related to the brakes at all.

OP
OP
B

blackvenom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, it ended up being the wheel weight on the inside of the rim hitting the parking brake caliper as the wheel rotated around.....drove me nuts trying to find this

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4