Kumho ecsta xs OR Kumho ecsta 4x

cweaver22

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok so after failing to locate 275 35/R18 Kumho ecsta xs tires for the front to match the kumho ecsta xs rear tires that are on my viper that i recently purchased i'm faced with two options:

1. kumho ecsta xs 315 30/R18 for $770 shipped
2. kumho ecsta 4x 275 35/R18 for $480 shipped

the 4x is replacing the xs according to kumho and has a much better tread wear rating 420 vs 180. some people seem to believe that having the same tires on all four corners is best. the 315 technically isn't designed to be put on a 9.5" rim, however several people haven't had any problems with doing it. so what would you do?

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All companies will tell you the latest and greatest is better than the item they just convinced you to buy in the recent past - it's called marketing - think detergent, toothpaste, tires, cars, etc.

I've had cars with mixed sizes, brands, treads, blah blah blah with no issues. Mind you, it wasn't a Viper and I'm sure you will get plenty of Chevy/Ford, Obama/Mitt types responding trying to convince you otherwise but as long as the tire is fairly new, meant for your car/application, and remains on the ground, you will do just fine.

OP
OP
C

cweaver22

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok after talking to dan at DC and a few other members on this forum i've decided to just bite the bullet and go with the michelin pilot super sports. anyone want to buy practically brand new kumho ecsta xs rears? 345 30/r19

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good move. Having a set of pretty soft compound tires on the rear and fairly hard ones on the front, just isn't the best idea for a car like the Viper. As usual, good advice from Dan and crew.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Puting allseason tires on a Viper is not an option IMO (Especially when you live in SOCAL!!!) There is no way around it: a 420 treadwear rating is a harder compound than a 180.
Dropping $$$ on a full set of PSS's when all you need is is two front KumhoXS's to complete your set seems wastefull to me but if that is what you want than go for it. It ***** the stock XS sizes are backordered but I wouldnt worry about the wider front size. Some guys run those on the track for better braking & more overall grip. That would be my pick. Stick with the XS's then switch the full set to PSS or whatever when your ready for new rubber in a few years.

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Ecsta 4X is not the replacement for the Ecsta XS it's not even in the same performance category ...

the Ecsta 4X is an Ultra High Performance All-Season which is not compatible with the Ecsta XS in any way ...

from a professional point of view I wouldn't even sell them to you if I knew that you were planning on running them on the front of your Viper with Xs's on the rear.

go with the wider 315's on the front or you could go with a 265/35-18 XS both of which are readily avaiable