Leaking Tranny Sensor?

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a leak in my tranny. It's not a big leak, but fluid is getting splashed around. It appears to be coming from a sensor on the pass side of the tranny. I couldn't find a description of this in the service manual. I'm wondering if there is an O-ring on the sensor that is leaking just a bit. Is this the 1st to 4th skip shift?

Here are some pics of the sensor that appears to be the source of the leak.

Tranny_Leak_Away.JPG

Tranny_Leak_Close.JPG

OP
OP
T

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is near the top of the case on the passenger side pointing parallel with the ground. If the lockout is on the other side, is this for the reverse tail lights?

Do you know if there is an o-ring or something that could be leaking there?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sometimes they leak on the inside were it plugs in,unplug it and see if there is oil in there,:eater:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is for the reverse lights, but the unit contains a spring loaded ball bearing that is the detent for the shifting. My good, used spare has a flat shoulder, so probably uses a flat fiber washer. The thread engagement is long, so could also use a thread sealant.

I think what bluesrt is saying is that the unit has a metal base and is crimped over the plastic housing that contains the switch. Sometimes the crimp is not leak-proof, or it leaks through the middle and onto the wiring pins.

OP
OP
T

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pins were clean & dry on the inside. It looks like there was some white compound, almost like a pipe joint compound on the outer couple of threads. It also looks like someone took a wrench to it, as there are some marks from being barely stripped. Sounds like a job for some Permatex Ultra Copper RTV Silicon gasket compound on the outer threads.

Getting that sensor on looks to be a real chore. I can hardly get my hands in there. Hopefully I won't need a new one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang