Leaking windshield on my 2000 Gts

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I was caught out in the rain on Saturday and discovered my windshield leaks on the top, both driver side and passenger side. I have never had a problem with the zillion times I have washed the car, never once saw any water. Anyone have similiar problems with theirs? Any ideas on what is the fix?
Thanks, have a wonderful day!
Laura
You must be registered for see images

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laura, I too have a 2000 GTS and this last weekend I drove in an absolute deluge several times going to and participating in the Zone Rendezvous in Dallas. I was really worried about this problem as I had read a lot about it. However after driving practically under water I had no leaks! Hopefully someone can help you (I've seen remedies posted, check archives) but I wanted to post this so others would know it doesn't happen in all cases.

My MDH is 090512; could this be peculiar to a certain build sequence? Sorry about your drip.

Reaction score
I washed my 2001 S500 Sunday and drops of water were on my console. They were coming from the sunroof switch trim perimeter. I have owned 4 Vipers and know many club members. Leaks around the windshield may occur once in a while but they are not a "Problem" that owners have to worry about being in the rain. My S500 leaks so I guess all S500 owners should worry about being caught in the rain? Is the glass always half empty?

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not uncommon for a windshield to leak. I've seen it from the '96's on up. Haven't had a rt that leaks though. I think they didn't use enough sealer. We probably do 5-10 a year under warranty. The problem is that it only rains 1 month a year here!!! Laura's leak sounds like a "smaller one" due to the fact that it didn't leak during normal washing, but leaked while driving, due to the higher air pressure on the windshield from moving. You can't get the w/s weather strip seperate. Get a new windshield under warranty and make sure the tech. tells the glass installer that it was leaking due to omitted sealer.dj

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Laura: Sometimes the leak may be bad enough to have to remove the windshield and reset it. However, in many cases the dealer can use some black silicone type material and plug the leak from inside the car. Good Luck, Fred C

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is a common problem and it happened to my 97 GTS as well. The correct way to fix it is to have a glass shop remove the windshield and reseal it. If you try to use a spot sealer from the inside you could compound the problem. The wrong kind of sealer will have a corrosive effect on any metal that it contacts. A good glass shop can fix it correctly. Get a recommendation from your Viper Tech. for a shop that is familiar with Vipers. It should be a warranty repair.

OP
OP
V

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dj
Do you really think I need to replace the entire windshield? Not just have it resealed or something? I'll tell you why this concerns me, I replaced the windshield in my 98 Rt/10 after someone took a bat to it
a long story), it was replaced with a Mopar windshield but the thing was just never the same. The seal around it just didn't "look" right, it just wasn't "right". I'm really not sure what to do, I'm almost thinking of just leaving it the way it is!!! I never take the car out in the rain.(at least not intentionally). The thought of them pulling the windshield out just gives me the chills!! Maybe I should carry a bucket or two in the car, just in case of unexpected weather!
Laura

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings Laura! Ya know, I agree with you, I would not want to remove the windshield either...seems like too much possible "agg" for what could be the fix. Here's what I would do. I would remove the flexible moulding around the windshield. If memory serves me, it is a press fit. Then, simply run a thin line of strip caulk around the top and sides of the glass, pressing it down into the groove. I'd bet that this would stop the problem. Body Shop supplies houses should have 3M stip caulk.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our windshield had to be replaced last year due to improper factory installation (not enough sealer-developed a stress crack at the windshield base) When the window company put the new glass in, they told us not to drive it for 24 hours to insure the sealer to set completely given the ridgid suspension of the car.

If you do have it removed to be resealed, you might ask your glass company their opinion about letting it sit for a day.

Steve

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK>>>some words from pete the ex glass guy. Vipers, as with all new cars, have a windshield that is set in black urethane. This sealer hardens completely within about 24 hours and forms an integral part of the strength/structure of the car. When the windshield is put in at the factory, a bead of this "sealant" is laid around the pinchweld or lip of the windshield opening and the windshield is set in the hole on some small blocks to position it. At times, there may be a tiny gap left somewhere which may lead to a small leak. Water does not usually run uphill, so you see the water leaking usually from the top down inside the car. It's difficult to seal it from the inside because you may not be able to see the point of entry. The correct way to do it is to reset the windshield, OR, if possible, remove whatever trim piece there is and reseal it from the outside. Any glass shop familiar with higher-end cars can do this job with no problem. I personaly did hundreds of these in fifteen years. It's also under the warranty so don't fret over it. You don't need a new windshield and it's not a big deal. My advice would be to take the car to them and not have them do it "mobile". For something like this, you want your car to be in their shop. Hope this helps. pete

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pete's got it right Laura. The problem is that the windshield weather strip(w/s) is not available seperate as far as I know. That means you can only get the w/s with the windshield! So, to remove the w/s and add sealer without removing the windshield would not be advised. The w/s would never look right upon reinstallation. If the leak only happens when driving in the rain, I wouldn't attempt a repair if it were me.dj