Lift Sales Comment... Strange...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am researching purchasing a 4 post lift and had a distributor over from one of the major companies. Here was one of his comments: "We stand behind our lifts, just not under them." And, he was not kidding. What the ____ kind of comment is that??? Would you buy a lift from someone who says that? I want a lift that I can get under and not have to worry!!! I have read all the various threads and now I hear this from a distributor? ***?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Was he not simply implying some sort of post-delivery/post-installation warranty??? Of course, you would need to review the printed document !!

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was he not simply implying some sort of post-delivery/post-installation warranty??? Of course, you would need to review the printed document !!

No, I do not think so. He said that when he visits shops that he has sold his product to and they want him to see something under the lift he will not go under the lift. Gave me a lot of confidence... :dunno:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He probably meant "not just under them". Sounds like a Freudian slip to me. Ok I just saw your comment above, just buy a Rotary or a Bend-Pak and be done with it.

jerseydave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you list or pm the company name so I can stay away from them as well.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IMO before I got too freaked out the guy may just hate his job/company, you know disgruntled kind of thing, happens a lot. Lifts are not rocket science so unless the welds/quality is subpar, inferior or something of that nature (which could be the case but doubtful if they are halfway successful) I would think there is nothing to worry about, still disturbing though.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought and assembled a lift in the last few weeks. I can see a DIYer screwing up the install and ending up with an unsafe situation. That being said, I would think a quick walk around the lift would determine if is was unsafe, so I don't know what to say about this guy.

Run away.

I'm satisfied with my lift selection. I'm sure there are better and worse lifts out there. If I was to look for a better product, I think it would be important to see them in person to understand the differences.

As pointed out in another thread, shipping weight is an indicator you could consider when looking for a heavier lift.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am researching purchasing a 4 post lift and had a distributor over from one of the major companies. Here was one of his comments: "We stand behind our lifts, just not under them." And, he was not kidding. What the ____ kind of comment is that??? Would you buy a lift from someone who says that? I want a lift that I can get under and not have to worry!!! I have read all the various threads and now I hear this from a distributor? ***?

So, what I am reading is that this is probably about one of the lifts recommended above.

It really doesn't mean anything without knowing what the guy was not spelling out.
A car salesman that says he won't ride in a Viper doesn't help me at all in deciding whether to buy a Viper or not, without any other information.

Now, if it is the engineer that worked on the design or manufacture, I would hesitate much more.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he may just have a fear of all lifts in general. I mean he sells one of the top brands. Good lifts from what I can tell, although he did make mention that this particular product line was made from Chinese steel and I suppose made in China to make them more affordable than the major brand. I suppose if I were selling the tunnel type MRI medical diagnostic unit I would not get in it because I am claustrophobic. Maybe he is like that about lifts?

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a 4 post lift, look at the lift ram/cylinder and the pulleys. If that thing has plastic ones, run as fast as you can.

Make double sure that the "locks" go into the post, not just hook on an exterior tab.

There are several other things I'm sure others will chime in. I have an American built one that's 12 years old, gets used a lot and I've had ZERO issues.

--FQB

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...and had a distributor over

...can you expand on this...why would a distributor take his time to 'come over'? Are you buying a bunch of lifts for a shop? Is this an installer for the distributor? The nearest distributor for my lift was in Texas. There were some local installers, but I don't know of any major lift distributors that are local to me and I don't live in the boonies...Denver, Colorado.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...can you expand on this...why would a distributor take his time to 'come over'? Are you buying a bunch of lifts for a shop? Is this an installer for the distributor? The nearest distributor for my lift was in Texas. There were some local installers, but I don't know of any major lift distributors that are local to me and I don't live in the boonies...Denver, Colorado.

His business is a distributor and they also install. I called the company and they had a distributor in my town... Just a mile from my house tsrange as it may seem. I checked the website for Backyard Buddy--they seem to think they are the best. Are they?

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
His business is a distributor and they also install. I called the company and they had a distributor in my town... Just a mile from my house tsrange as it may seem. I checked the website for Backyard Buddy--they seem to think they are the best. Are they?

I went through the same type of research you did...I wanted to buy a Backyard Buddy or other USA made lift but none had real customer support in the Northern California area. I went with a lift that has a local dealer that sells, installs and services them if needed. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the top name brands like Bendpack, Revolution, etc. Companies like BYB may make a very nice lift, but in the scheme of things they are a small company...what guarantees or liability insurance do they have? Are they self insured and can they cope with a major situation? All the top name consumer models are made in China (mine is a Direct Lift (owned by Revolution). My main concern was who will fix or service the lift if there are problems.

And don't let the "certifications" the different big boys have listed sway you. The manufacturers got together years ago to create their own certification system...not overseen by the govt or somebody like Underwriters Labratory or OSHA. Who knows how good the certification is if they are patrolling themselves? :dunno:

You'll love the lift, I use it all the time for different projects.

Cheers,
George

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, that guy doesn't sound like he wants your or any business. Mine is a DirectLift and I researched the hell out of lifts before I bought it. I've got a lot of posts in lift threads on this site where I did a ton of research. I also researched the Backyard Buddy, but I really really really really didn't like the 'car salesman' approach they were using on their website. It puts me off when a manufacturer continually puts down competitors with no real facts. I also wasn't a fan of lifts where there is a collar that moves up and down the posts...just my personal opinion.

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he is saying they will trust being under them and they will stand behind the product. do you believe a salesman anyway?:smirk:

I love my Revolution.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I talked with Backyard Buddy owner Larry today. He thinks they have the best lift and looking at the construction and their newest addition of another safety lock, he may be right. It is quite pricey, but if it is as good as advertised I will pay the extra. A little more research needed. They are going to set me up with a customer in my area who can show me and tell me about their experience with Backyard Buddy. I know... I over-analyze everything. Hey, it got me a great wife. :)

runin1320

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is very unfortunate that they would say that...was it IOM in Pekin? I spoke to them about a lift awhile back. I plan to buy a Bend-Pak 2-post asymmetric later this Fall. (XPR-10ACX)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte