Local Help

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone is available tomorrow to assist in bleeding the brakes on my vehicle please let me know. I am located in Portsmouth, VA. I have not bleed brakes before and do not wish to mess them up.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No friend nearby who wants to sit behind the wheel of your viper??! What's the world comming to?

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No friend nearby who wants to sit behind the wheel of your viper??! What's the world comming to?

My wife is here, but I definitely want someone who has bled brakes prior to me so I don't jack it up. I have sent an email to the email list that I have but I doubt I will receive a response since no one was interested in helping with the brake kit in the first place.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never bled brakes before. I do have a wife that can work the pedal but I don't entirely know what I am doing and need someone to show me the in's and out's plus I want someone to look over the brake install. I think I'm good to go on the kit itself but a second set of eyes for a brake overhaul would be a definite plus just to make sure I didn't mess anything up or miss anything. Just being safe.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Send me your car. I'll compare it to my pics, and um... what color did you say you wanted your hood vents?

:D

Black hood vents! Email me your address, I'll box er right up and she'll be on the way :). By the way, thanks Dave for the great photos. Gave me some good ideas about the routing of the cabling.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely. I went through a bunch of cable ties and long necks whilst investigating the various iterations...

Glad to be useful every now and then! :rolaugh:

Instead of those rubber pieces on the cable ties I had to use more cable ties. My stainless lines aren't from Dave's kit so I had to improvise. The zip ties move an aweful lot though, do you think I should loose or tighten them? One of my locals emailed me about the bleeding and is going to help me out.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of those rubber pieces on the cable ties I had to use more cable ties. My stainless lines aren't from Dave's kit so I had to improvise. The zip ties move an aweful lot though, do you think I should loose or tighten them? One of my locals emailed me about the bleeding and is going to help me out.

You can make your own rubber standoffs (the correct term for those...) from rubber fuel hose. Probably just 1/4" stuff. Cut a short piece and thread the cable ties through.

Sweet... :headbang:

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've never bled brakes before. I do have a wife that can work the pedal but I don't entirely know what I am doing and need someone to show me the in's and out's plus I want someone to look over the brake install. I think I'm good to go on the kit itself but a second set of eyes for a brake overhaul would be a definite plus just to make sure I didn't mess anything up or miss anything. Just being safe.

I use a suction pump to bleed mine which makes it a one man operation. I bought a bleeder kit from Harbor Freight (like this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92474). I **** out all of the old brake fluid from the reservoir and put fresh DOT4 in the reservoir. Next bleed the lines starting with the most distant one from the master cylinder and work to the closest one. To bleed the line I put the vacuum line from the tool on the bleeder and put it under a vacuum and then crack open the bleeder valve and **** out the old brake fluid and stop when the fresh fluid is visible. I close the bleeder while still under a little vacuum to keep any air out of the line. You’ll need to keep a close watch on the reservoir to be sure it doesn’t run low or you’ll pull air into your brake lines.

I think this works better than having my wife press the brake petal since air will be sucked into the brake line if my wife lets go of the brake at the wrong time.

The clutch line should also be bled however I’ve always had my dealer bleed it. As I recall the clutch doesn’t have the same type of bleeder the brakes have.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use an old vacuum pump hooked to a 5 gal tank. Works like a champ and doesn't tire the hand!!

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good idea Dave, looks like I will be resecurring the lines tomorrow. Do your zip ties move on the A-arm or do you have them tight enough not to move?

My buddy coming over tomorrow has bled his brakes on his viper before and I am very confident in him. Has a good amount of knowledge of the vehicle just from talking to him. He is on here as well.

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is why God made Viper techs.

Doesn't take a viper tech to bleed a car. I just have never done one prior. The viper is not the holy grail of vehicles. Matter of fact the car is very basic in its setup and is extremely easy to work on. Would only go to a viper tech for engine or transmission problems, and even for those it is questionable. Would have to be a problem that was way out of my league.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't take a viper tech to bleed a car. I just have never done one prior. The viper is not the holy grail of vehicles. Matter of fact the car is very basic in its setup and is extremely easy to work on. Would only go to a viper tech for engine or transmission problems, and even for those it is questionable. Would have to be a problem that was way out of my league.

Agree--It is just a lot easier. (hell, and I have a lift)

OP
OP
K

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but I am a DIYer. I like to have my hands in everything. I would rather know a little about a lot then a lot about a little if that makes sense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960