Looking for a jack to use with my 4 post lift

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions on which jack is best for use wiht a 4 post lift? I assume it will be a bottle jack.

Thanks in advance.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oem scissor jack is a good call. You can also use two scissor jacks to lift the whole front off the deck. You can lift one corner in the rear with the scissor jack, however, if you try to lift the entire rear off the deck the car will inch forward (no matter how well you block it)and the scissor jacks become unstable. To take the whole rear end up I lift one side and lower it on to a wood block on my jack plate. You can then do the same to the other side.

Instead of taking the car all the way up and bending your back/neck to inspect or work, you might want to try using a chair type creeper with a back rest and find a workable height at partial lift. With the back suppoert you can angle your body into a comfortable working position.

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
why not just make some 2x8" ramps instead of jacking the car up? its what i use.......home depot 2x8 or 2x10.......$12-$18.........expensive low profile jack $$$

jgfurr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oem scissor jack is a good call. You can also use two scissor jacks to lift the whole front off the deck. You can lift one corner in the rear with the scissor jack, however, if you try to lift the entire rear off the deck the car will inch forward (no matter how well you block it)and the scissor jacks become unstable. To take the whole rear end up I lift one side and lower it on to a wood block on my jack plate. You can then do the same to the other side.

Instead of taking the car all the way up and bending your back/neck to inspect or work, you might want to try using a chair type creeper with a back rest and find a workable height at partial lift. With the back suppoert you can angle your body into a comfortable working position.

Definitely a good comment on the partial lift height with a chair. MUCH easier and more comfortable than straining your neck and back.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Let me offer a word of caution about using an OEM scissors jack...while I have NOT used the Viper jack at all, I have used more than one OEM scissor and/or screw type jack the PROPER way as stipulated in the owner's manual merely to raise a car to remove wheel, only to see the jack collapse before my eyes.

There is NO WAY I would combine such a jack up in the air in combination with another lift. Admittedly, when working on our Vipers, I have upon occasion used a bottle jack to lift one wheel off the ramp of a 4 post lift...BUT, I am then NOT under the lift, and I try to use only the minimum height necessary on the bottle jack.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use hydraulic scissor jacks. They are basically a heavy duty scissor jack that has a horizontal bottle jack to lift the car. The set really low and are much more stable than a bottle jack. Cost is about $50 each.

The bottle jacks are too tall in many cases on a four post lift. They are all 5+ inches tall. If the car starts to move, a bottle jack will tip easily and the car will drop. I still use bottle jacks, I just would not use four of them at one time to suspend a car.