Looking for aftermarket mufflers for my 97 viper gts coupe

vipertom7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi. I am looking to purchase aftermarket mufflers for my 1997 viper gts coupe. I would prefer to get the mufflers instead of the full exhaust system due to the price. I was wondering what size mufflers I should be looking for and any mods that might have to be done to make the mufflers fit. Also, any suggestions on the best sounding mufflers would be great. Thanks.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"the official exhaust thread" is a great place to start, I would recommend deleting your rear mufflers and replacing the side sill mufflers with the Dynomax 24222 mufflers, they are about $55 each on amazon, they are 3 inch so you will need to reduce the ends down to the stock side but will leave room for upgrades later down the line like roes high flow 3 inch cat which I recommend, random tech is also another option for high flow cats

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as per birds recommendation:
SEARCH FEATURE
Almost every question you can think of has already been asked and answered! In some cases, the information may be out of date and a new thread will be needed, but in many cases, an answer to your question may be under 10 seconds away!

The VCA Web Forums has a search feature very similar to web search engines like Google. By typing in a few words, it will search all old posts since the website was created to find words matching what you typed in. Be mindful though, the more words you type the fewer results you will get as it will try to find posts only with all of the words you types. In saying that as well, by using words like “The” and “It” you will get hundreds if not thousands of threads. I might suggest sticking to main words. Also try to avoid year specific searches. It will block out a lot of good info. For example:

“What is the best exhaust system for my 2006”

It might be better as:

“best exhaust”

To do a search, click on Search located in the center of the Directional Information Toolbar. If you are wanting a quick overall search, just type in the words in the search box. For this example, we will go with an Advanced Search as you can further clarify your search parameters.

Once you have clicked on Search, click Advanced Search located under the Quick Search field.

Type in the key words you want to search for. Once you have typed in your key words, click on the drop down arrow on the Search All Open Forums tab located on the lower right side of the Search page if you would like to clarify your search. Choose a specific forums you would like the question searched under. In some cases this is not needed but if you are wanting the best exhaust for your 2008, you will not want the threads from the 1992 cars. This feature helps to cut down on the amount of non-applicable information that will be presented to you. Do remember though, by selecting the one section you are narrowing down the number of places the search will look. If there was a thread in the Racing section, and you only selected the SRT section, you will not see that information. This menu can be useful if used correctly.

Once complete, click Search and see your answers! Feel free to play, there is no limit to the amount of searches you can do!

then id also say to call Roe racing. he sold me a set of bullet mufflers with the right size inlet and outlet welded on for me for a great price. i like the sound. ask for sean roe

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi. I am looking to purchase aftermarket mufflers for my 1997 viper gts coupe. I would prefer to get the mufflers instead of the full exhaust system due to the price. I was wondering what size mufflers I should be looking for and any mods that might have to be done to make the mufflers fit. Also, any suggestions on the best sounding mufflers would be great. Thanks.

Just go to a muffler place, have them hack off the rear muffler and replace it with straight pipe. Thats what I did and it sounded so much better than OEM. If you're really brave, hack off the cats as well. That'll wear on you after a year though. I speak from experience.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The factory pipe is 2-1/2" pretty sure. Doing the rear muffler delete will help the sound as already pointed out and is cheap. Lots of people use the Dynomax mufflers in the sills like you can get from Summit Racing. How loud are you wanting to go? With Belanger headers, 3" HF cats and 3" Dynomax mufflers my side exhaust '01 will peel door paint on a fly by. A little calmer inside the car with the windows up. If loud is all you want it can be had cheaply.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I deleted the cats and rear muffler when I converted my 97 GTS to side exhaust. Moved the resonator to where the cat was (barely enough room) and put a Dynomax in where the resonator was.

Warning: Do not do this if you want quiet exhaust:omg:

Sounds good to me but admittedly it is loud on long trips and will wake the dead at WOT. Everyone will hear you coming.

Ron

OP
OP
V

vipertom7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the responses. I would like to car to be loud, but I also want it to have a nice tone. I was told that exhaust cutouts would make the car loud, but I have also heard that they don't sound as good on a V-10 as they do on a V-8. Anyone here have cutouts on there viper?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deleting the rear muffler while keeping the stock headers, cats, and sidesill resonators will not be too loud for you. We are talking about a $100 mod here. Give it a shot and if you want more than look into hi-flow cats and/or replacing the sidesill resonators with a straight-thru type.

Where in PA are you from? You should be able to find other vipers in the area to check out or just wait untill the first VCA event of the spring to check out many at once.
Update your profile from "Pennsylvania, USA" to "yourcity, PA"

OP
OP
V

vipertom7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Deleting the rear muffler while keeping the stock headers, cats, and sidesill resonators will not be too loud for you. We are talking about a $100 mod here. Give it a shot and if you want more than look into hi-flow cats and/or replacing the sidesill resonators with a straight-thru type.

Where in PA are you from? You should be able to find other vipers in the area to check out or just wait untill the first VCA event of the spring to check out many at once.
Update your profile from "Pennsylvania, USA" to "yourcity, PA"

I am from West Chester, Pennsylvania. Thanks for the reply. I think I will consider getting the dynomax mufflers for the side sills and deleting the rear muffler. Now I just need to find a good place to get this done.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just start with the rear as it is a piece of cake job. Then drive her for a couple weeks to evaluate if you want more sound volume or not.

If you want to play with stuff under the sidesills i recommend taking them off yourself prior to driving to the exhaust shop as that could add an hour or two of labor onto his job and result in damaged sills.
Do Not put a 3" component in place of the resonator like someone recommended unless you are running a full 3"system. The cost will increase with the added labor to weld the expander on the inlet and the reducer in the outlet, not to mention the loss in power from the sudden expansion then contraction. Use the diameter component that matches your pipe size for best flow, and ease of install.

Something like this would be a good choice and it is stainless steel as where the DynomaxBullet is cheap aluminized(aka rust) steel: MagnaFlow 10416 - MagnaFlow Performance Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

buy NOTHING.

Delete the rear 2-1-2 Walker Truck Muffler and salvage the tips. Install straight pipes in that section. Any exhaust shop that be trusted to lift your car safely can do it with their eyes closed. Pick up 10 HP, but sounds 100% better than OE.

IF the shop is up to it, they can make an H-pipe between the muffler delete pipes.

When the budget allows, seek some cat-back, or rear-sub-assy options

OOOPS. Only NOW did I read the other replies, we are of like-mind here it seems. DO IT.

OP
OP
V

vipertom7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
buy NOTHING.

Delete the rear 2-1-2 Walker Truck Muffler and salvage the tips. Install straight pipes in that section. Any exhaust shop that be trusted to lift your car safely can do it with their eyes closed. Pick up 10 HP, but sounds 100% better than OE.

IF the shop is up to it, they can make an H-pipe between the muffler delete pipes.

When the budget allows, seek some cat-back, or rear-sub-assy options

OOOPS. Only NOW did I read the other replies, we are of like-mind here it seems. DO IT.

It seems like this is what I will be doing. Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I am glad to see that a lot of people have done this already, so I can expect good results from it. When you mention salvaging the tips, do you mean that I should have the stock tips reinstalled after deleting the rear muffler on the straight pipes?

OP
OP
V

vipertom7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes.....they have a specific S-Shaped drop, and impossible to find in the aftermarket. So just re-use the OE tips for now. And if they install an H pipe vs. 2 straight pipes, the note will be more blended. But straight-pipes are OK too. "Anything sounds better than stock!"

When I got my GTS [6/8/96, first retail unit outta CAAP,] I did the exact same thing 3 days later. There were no aftermarket options til later..... I have recommened it to many folks, who were happy with this interim decision. Fast, Functional, Cheap. Here is a favorite review of the mod:

http://forums.viperclub.org/vendor-review-partsrack/620551-big-thanks-jonb.html

Ok great. That is what I will do, and I will also get an H-pipe installed instead of the straight pipes. Thanks for the quick reply. I can't wait to hear how it sounds.

OP
OP
V

vipertom7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to JonB at Partrack, I have a used corsa catback system on the way. I am planning on running with no cats. I have gone to the official exhaust thread and listened to many corsa exhaust systems with headers, but I have not heard any with no cats and just the corsa catback. Will this combination be loud without headers?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you tell us.

I recommend putting a straight-thru typ muffler/resonator inplace of the cat rather than a straightpipe

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as the pipe turns in from the sills dump them down. =D