Loose screw found in oil pan

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't believe this is a common problem but wanted to make everyone aware. I changed the oil and found a small screw stuck to the drain plug. Took the car in and they pulled the oil pan and found that the screen near the bottom of that pan that is held in place by 8 screws, one was missing and 2 others were loose and working their way out.

They pulled all the screws put some lock tight and a locking washer on them and no harm was done. I was told though that the screw was small enough that it could of got sucked into the oil pump and caused it to lock up, not good.

Next time any of you have your oil pans off you might want to take a look at the screws.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um, the oil pickup has a screen on it so let them know that it wouldn't cause damage to the pump.

To add to the "check your pan" story, I have had the sheet metal windage crack and break off a corner. Waaay too big to get sucked into the oil pump.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happens everyday ;)

Funny, it just happened to me yesterday. Removed the oil pan and found that two thirds of the screws on the sheet-metal baffle on the oil pan were loose in addition to the one that vibrated out.

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somewhat common and as Tom said no danger of getting past the screen.

Click Here

I saw the title of the thread, and quickly jumped to the Search feature to find my old post. Thanks for beating me to it. :2tu:

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
won't get past the screen until ALL of the screws holding the screen come loose!

But, it is a tight passage with a 90 that should catch the screws.