Losing power - plugs?

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How often do you change out the plugs on the Viper? I've got about 4,700 miles on it and just today it seemed a bit sluggish. It idles great, but when I got on it, it just kind of hesitated just a bit. It's never done it before.

I'm guessing a new set of plugs this weekend maybe.

Anyother suggestions?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the gap. I have been told to use .035 and stock champs. I guess if tehy are gapped to wide, the spark is weak. Plugs could be bad too, just thinking out loud for you.

OP
OP
V

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the gap. I have been told to use .035 and stock champs. I guess if tehy are gapped to wide, the spark is weak. Plugs could be bad too, just thinking out loud for you.

Well I'm going to try plugs first. East thing to do. It's a really BAD feeling when my Viper just doesn't "punch" like it's suppose to.

I've got to get it fixed!!!!!!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats the weather like today where you are?

Most likely you are getting bored of the power you have and just need MORE.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to believe that plugs on a stock engine are bad enough to notice at 4700 miles.
Are both throttle plates opening?

OP
OP
V

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats the weather like today where you are?

Most likely you are getting bored of the power you have and just need MORE.

It was 102 degrees. I've run with it this hot before, but it has never "bogged" down on me. It felt really strange.

I am very used to the strong pull on acceleration. It just didn't have it yesterday. Kind of worries me that something may be {dirty, clogged, fowled, etc...}

OP
OP
V

Vipersrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe some bad gas? :cool:

Yeah - I thought of this one - that might be it. It started after I got gas yesterday. That may be the problem. I'll run it down next week and see what happens.

Does anyone ever use additive in the fuel? If so, recommendations?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change plugs @ 20k, but they're so cheap, can't hurt to do it early.

Regarding wires, 40k seemed to work fine for me. At around 30k, I noticed I was down on power, so I changed both the plugs and wires, and seemed to notice a boost. However, the wires were the Mopar blue wires, which caused radio static, so I took them off in exchange for my original stock wires that I had just taken off, and I noticed no detrimental effect. I continued to drive with the stock wires to ~40k, changed to new stock wires, and noticed NO difference (even went to the dyno later that morning). Consequently, 40k on Mopar stock wires seemed fine, not sure how much further though.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look Snakebitten...I just got it last year...had 800 miles and now has 3,000.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonychicken