Lost to a Mustang........I'm so ashamed

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Lost to a Mustang........I\'m so ashamed

still won't race me cuz he'll lose.

I think stock for stock it would be a very close race with you... If he has a chip and pulley there is no way he would lose.

Don't think so, my 96 RT/10 when stock ran a 12.5@112. I haven't heard of a STOCK 03 Cobra running any better than a 12.9@107. Don't know if that was an auto or stick, but all the vipers have the 6 speed and really depends on driver capability. Autos are pretty much "stupid proof".

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

still won't race me cuz he'll lose.

I think stock for stock it would be a very close race with you... If he has a chip and pulley there is no way he would lose.

Don't think so, my 96 RT/10 when stock ran a 12.5@112.">12.5@112.</a> I haven't heard of a STOCK 03 Cobra running any better than a <a href="mailto:12.9@107. Don't know if that was an auto or stick, but all the vipers have the 6 speed and really depends on driver capability. Autos are pretty much "stupid proof".

"you heard this" "you heard that" I have personaly (not just on the internet) seen a cobra with a K&N and NOTHING else run 12.2 @ 112. That was at moroso with good weather. I have only seen 2 RT/10s 95' and 96' and they were both running 13's. It's all driver. But for a 30k car compared to your 60k (however $$ it was new) I'd say it's not too shabby.

Why didn't you spring for a newer GTS with more power?

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i could go on for hours but ive got better stuff to do than prove to a ***** that a 03 cobra is a ****.

OIC.. I've brought you to the anger point of calling names :smirk: ... calling names over the internet to people you don't know. How easy it is to control people. How old are you sir?

You sure did spend a lot of time getting all those links. I bet you sat there all afternoon getting all of those. You must feel really proud. You MUST feel a threat in some way to do that. Do you have a lonely life?

All I see in those is a lot of people with clutch problems.. so what? A lot of vipers have rear end problems AND clutch problems. It's a lot more $$ to spend on a viper.

Also.. the 2nd list is a whole bunch of 03 cobra's running 11's @ over 120 with just a few bolt-ons.

Again since you seem like a very simple minded person. I go back to my point. I wasn't bashing the viper (I own one captain obvious) I was backing up the potential of the 2003 Cobra.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I'm reading these posts correctly, you keep trying to compare apples & oranges, auto or stick, bolt-ons or not, somebody's always going to be faster! The same exact cars side by side can vary greatly!

I still think the viper rules!! :cool:

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I'm reading these posts correctly, you keep trying to compare apples & oranges, auto or stick, bolt-ons or not, somebody's always going to be faster! The same exact cars side by side can vary greatly!

I still think the viper rules!! :cool:

I think the Viper is by far king of the hill also... But I can't believe when a fan of sports cars is so one way minded that he thinks his car is the only car worth owning. You don't see your own faults untill someone tells them to you because you're so one track minded.

I know Ferrari owners everywear think the Viper is a low class car that can't handle and woudln't be caught dead in one... does that mean you should only like Ferrari's. No, that's someones opinion. In the same way I don't care when someone is a mule and will bash a great car like the 03 Cobra, it's still the most unexplainable engine/size/power since the supra IMO.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree,,, to each his own!!! I love my viper, a little over-priced, IMHO, & I'm a chrysler guy! I think it's a true hotrod,(my 94 anyway), the vette is electro-gizmo'd all to hell!!! That's what I really like about the viper,,,, simple!!!!, Not 8 million knobs & switches. O.K., I'll quit ranting now. ;)

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I know Ferrari owners everywear think the Viper is a low class car that can't handle and woudln't be caught dead in one... does that mean you should only like Ferrari's. No, that's someones opinion. In the same way I don't care when someone is a mule and will bash a great car like the 03 Cobra, it's still the most unexplainable engine/size/power since the supra IMO.

First off, it's EVERYWHERE not everywear. Next, can anyone vouch that BallsofSteel has a Viper? Sure doesn't sound like it. Lastly, Mustangs/Cobras=POS. Period. End of discussion.

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score

"here is a 50 post page where they list their times, mods and hp"

As an f/y/i - one of the above Cobras from MD reflected in the top 50 at a 10.97 could not even make 1 run last week without breaking. He was barely able to coast off the track. His buddy broke on his second run and had to be pushed off the track. I'll take reliability any day!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have to admit,,, my buddy is wrenchen his all the time,(cobra), I just keep lickin' mine & it keeps on tickin'!!!!!!! :cool:

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

First off, it's EVERYWHERE not everywear. Next, can anyone vouch that BallsofSteel has a Viper? Sure doesn't sound like it. Lastly, Mustangs/Cobras=POS. Period. End of discussion.

1st off.. I **** at spelling. Not gona lye thaire. :mad:

2nd. I could post a picture of my **** viper with my **** self in it. I have raced a few people at moroso from online in my viper.

3rd. Explain why mustangs/cobras=POS Period. I say Gerald Levin/Old Mule=Loser Period. That's my opinion. What if my friends viper broke a rear end and drive shaft at the track.. does that make it a "POS Period"? What judges what a POS is? The fact still stands that the Cobra has done something the viper hasn't yet... so how is the viper not a POS then? :confused: :confused: :confused:

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I actually like and respect the new Cobra although I would never own one due to the fact that they still mustangs and way too common. As far as reliability, I don't think any of us could talk about that, we'll leave that to the Supras.

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i answered 3 on your list there stud, everything on those cars breaks, there are 10 links about problems and stuff right at the top of this page

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

3. why are mustangs=pos......

the answer is........

FORD!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i answered 3 on your list there stud, everything on those cars breaks, there are 10 links about problems and stuff right at the top of this page

94-03 vipers
Here we go Stud...

http://www.carsurvey.org/review_17636.html
-Head gaskets on the motor went.
-Leather interior started to pull apart.
-Exhaust system needed replacing.
-Transmission went due to a blown seal.
-Ball joints got very loose.
-After engine was fixed there was consistent over heating problems.
-Engine knocked real bad, Dodge refused to do anything about it.
-The power window on the driver's side went.
-Fuel injectors had problems soon after the head gaskets were fixed.
-Alternator got really weak and needed rebuilding.
-Chrome on the mag wheels started to peel.
-The ride was extremely uncomfortable.

-Constant Overheating Problems everytime I idle at a light

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2305#safety
1996-00: If used in extensive track type testing or aggressive driving, steering rack mounting brackets can crack. 1996-99: If used in extensive track type testing or aggressive driving, differential mounting brackets could fail. 1997: Inadvertent airbag deployment could occur upon vehicle ignition shut-down.
http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=329257&Forum=All_Forums&Words=problems&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=329254&Search=true#Post329257

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=276866&Forum=All_Forums&Words=clutch%20problems&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=276866&Search=true#Post276866

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB17&Number=309424&Forum=All_Forums&Words=falling%20apart&Match=Entire%

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=278344&Forum=All_Forums&Words=recalls&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=277858&Search=true#Post27834420Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=308474&Search=true#Post309424

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=278344&Forum=All_Forums&Words=recalls&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=277858&Search=true#Post278344

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=81358&Forum=All_Forums&Words=recalls&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=81358&Search=true#Post81358

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB21&Number=315888&Forum=All_Forums&Words=recalls&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=315846&Search=true#Post315888

Dude, all you have to do is look for 60 sec. and you can find problems for anything. Does all this mean the viper is complete crap? :rolleyes: I didn't even post anything about half/shaft problems or Clutch problems. My bud had a 95 Viper that vibrated so bad stuff started falling apart. I'm not going out and selling my viper now.

This is other peoples experiences. I'm not a follower.

I can tell you this.. Chrysler in general is a joke. My Durango has had more problems than Monica Lowinsky. The new Hemi trucks look VERY nice.. but are down on HP and slow like always. The durango gets a whole 12 MPG, and it got stomped by my friends V6 explorer :rolleyes: .

You can make anything look bad if you try hard enough. People only believe what you tell them.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mustang=Poor mans sports car. Who cares if a Pinto hands you your butt it still is a Pinto. Same with a Mustang if you get beat who cares. I can't believe you even raced him in the first place you have nothing to gain by doing so. And never will a Ferrari owner look down on a Viper. Why? Because a Viper is a world-class sports car that has proven itself at LeMans several times where a Mustang never has. Besides only a F-50 or Enzo even rival the styling of a Viper.

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steel00GTS - I'm with you, there are some stupid, close mided post on here. The 03' Cobra is a hell of a car for the money, look at my sig I'm still thinking of taking an 03' Cobra engine and bolting on the KB blower and swapping in into a 4.6 Mercury Mountaineer.

Anybody that doesn't think they can handle well, which they do in stock form (obviously it's no Viper), but it's amazing what those car are capable of with such an old platform. For what it's worth a friend of mine has an ACR Viper and my other friend a modded 03' Cobra with a Kenny Brown suspension setup and the car is glued to the road, even my friend with the ACR could not beleive how these cars can take corners with few suspesnion mods (especially considering they weigh about 3600-3800 lbs or so).

And Steel99GTS is right, some of you guys must live near sh!tty tracks to think the Cobra doesn't run good 1/4 mile times. At Moroso there are tons here that will run 12.5-12.7 completley stock, and we ran 12.7 at 112 mph the 1st time out in the Cobra there. Evan from MM&FF was able to get a stock one down to 12.4 so with a top notch driver they will run lo 12's, but not everyone is like Evan.

My friend hasn't had any problems with his Cobra and is at the track a couple times a week, and he's at about 500 rwhp on the stock eaton and will be bolting on the KB blower soon. He had about 50 hard launches on the stock IRS with nothing breaking, and only recently upgraded the half shafts b/c of the power he'll be putting down soon.

I still love the Viper, as were getting one, but I plan on also picking up an 03' Cobra sometime soon also (that or swap in the engine into the truck etc). I want my garage to have the 2 baddest snakes on the planet. Oh yeh, and theres nothing like that dohc 4.6 growling :D Some of you have good things to say about the Cobra so thats cool, and I know here were some owners on here who have one and love it along with their Viper from what I've read on other threads.

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mustang=Poor mans sports car. Who cares if a Pinto hands you your butt it still is a Pinto. Same with a Mustang if you get beat who cares. I can't believe you even raced him in the first place you have nothing to gain by doing so. And never will a Ferrari owner look down on a Viper. Why? Because a Viper is a world-class sports car that has proven itself at LeMans several times where a Mustang never has. Besides only a F-50 or Enzo even rival the styling of a Viper.

#1. News Flash. To someone who owns a Lamborghini, the Viper is a poor mans sports car. I find it interesting that you've fooled yourself into believing a mustang is for "poor" people :smirk: . I live in PALM BEACH. I hear people all the time(mainly with Porche's) "all the viper is, is a big motor with plastic wrapped around it, crappy interior, doesn't handle, rattles all over the place"
These people don't care if the viper is faster than their Porche. To them the viper and vette are both poor mans sports cars. You live in a lower class area so to you the viper might be the most expensive car you ever see. I see 200k+ cars almost every day.

#2 You probably think the Vette is a poor mans sports car too, even though it's won at LeMans. BTW.. I didn't know people think "Hey that car isn't in LeMans.. it must be crap" :smirk: ROFL

#3 Doesn't it interest or bother you that a 4.6 Cobra has the potintial to out-power your Huge 8liter V10 no matter what mods you do to the stock motor?

Now if I have dumped 10k or so and have a 10 sec Viper (mine is stock). And a Mustang with a KB blower comes to moroso and man handles me, I'm not going to say "oh it's just a pinto" Because that car did something my Viper can't do. That's what you don't understand. I don't think the mustang compares to the Viper in many many ways. But you can't say it's a pinto.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

#1. News Flash. To someone who owns a Lamborghini, the Viper is a poor mans sports car. I find it interesting that you've fooled yourself into believing a mustang is for "poor" people :smirk: . I live in PALM BEACH. I hear people all the time(mainly with Porche's) "all the viper is, is a big motor with plastic wrapped around it, crappy interior, doesn't handle, rattles all over the place"
These people don't care if the viper is faster than their Porche. To them the viper and vette are both poor mans sports cars. You live in a lower class area so to you the viper might be the most expensive car you ever see. I see 200k+ cars almost every day.

#2 You probably think the Vette is a poor mans sports car too, even though it's won at LeMans. BTW.. I didn't know people think "Hey that car isn't in LeMans.. it must be crap" :smirk: ROFL

#3 Doesn't it interest or bother you that a 4.6 Cobra has the potintial to out-power your Huge 8liter V10 no matter what mods you do to the stock motor?

Now if I have dumped 10k or so and have a 10 sec Viper (mine is stock). And a Mustang with a KB blower comes to moroso and man handles me, I'm not going to say "oh it's just a pinto" Because that car did something my Viper can't do. That's what you don't understand. I don't think the mustang compares to the Viper in many many ways. But you can't say it's a pinto.
Dude i'm gues ing your 16-17 you write that way anyway and by the way it's "porsche" not porche. Give us a break and quit living in a fantasy world so if I own half the town I live in does that meet with your credentials?

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dude i'm gues ing your 16-17 you write that way anyway and by the way it's "porsche" not porche. Give us a break and quit living in a fantasy world so if I own half the town I live in does that meet with your credentials?

Read what you just wrote... it made no sense. You just had about 12 grammar errors in what you just wrote. Have you heard of a Period? You just wrote at a 2nd grade level and you're changing the subject because you feel threatened. I feel it's YOU who is living in a fantasy world. "What if I own half the town?" ROFL. You're the kind of person who pays people to hang out with you, I can tell. You probably can barely shift your viper without stalling out. Have you broken 13's in your viper? :eek:

NATE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Obviously the most ignorant person that has responded to this post. You my sir are an idiot. You are what makes people with money look like total ****-offs. An 03 Cobra is hardly a "Poor mans sports car". The mustang wasn't built for LeMans, so of course it will not excel there. However the mustang has done things in the 1/4 that the Viper may never achieve. Just stay in nowhere land "Sowth Duhkowtuh" and keep living your fantasy.

:usa:

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Somebody please help me i'm getting beat up by 2 Rustang lovers!!!

NATE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am not a mustang lover, I am a car lover.

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I too am a CAR lover. I love Z06's, I love Cobra's, I love shelby GT500's, I love Supra's, I love Vipers... oh yeah, I own one!

I agree I sence the snobby attitude my friend spoke of. He is also right about the Cobra doing things in the 1/4 mile that a Viper hasn't yet, so has that other "crapy" car, a Supra... this doesn't make me love my Viper any less I assure you. I'm just in reality.

Ignorance is Bliss my friend...

Viper Freak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I absolutely LOVE Vipers. They are probably the best American-made, all-around car currently in production. Despite this, I am greatly dissapointed in the mentality displayed by some of you Viper owners. For goodness sake, give credit where credit is due.

The 03 Cobra is a BEAST! Sure it's only a Mustang, but where else could you get yourself into the 9's with under $5K invested?? 400rwhp stock, 500rwhp with a few mods, and 600rwhp with a KB blower.... it is a truly amazing car. I am honestly sick and tired of the "What if you put a blower on a Viper", "Supercharge a Vette and see what happens" ********. They AREN'T blown! Bottom line! There are blown Z06's out there making just as much HP as a KB Cobra is. There's a local guy here running 11.6's with drag radials and a pulley on his 03 Cobra....THAT'S IT! 2 mods! Under $500!! Yes, the Mustang isn't in the same class as a Viper, but that does not mean the car is a performer.

If you truly need to discuss car class, compare the Viper to Ford's "Viper-equivalent", the Ford GT. Prototype testing yielded low 11's bone stock with a 2003 Cobra engine! It didn't even run those times with the 5.4L DOHC!! Bashing the 03 Cobra simply because it's a "Mustang" is rediculous and ********. The Viper is one amazing machine, but so is the 03 Cobra.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Strickly performance has an 03 cobra with the kenne bell blower swap running 9.60s and another guy is running 9.80s @ 147.There are plenty more. Just a blower,cold air intake,headers,and some suspension mods. My 03 runs 11.10s @ 126 with just an X-pipe,catback,cold air, and a pulley swap on the factory blower

There are 5 litre based Mustangs running 6's and 7's and fully street driven running in the 8's - ask Jason Heffner - he had one. Hows 8.59 at 160mph on stock suspension design - just upgraded shocks and settings.

If drags are your main thing - the big boosted Mustangs will own you unless you go to the expense of building a 7 second street Viper - something no one has yet done.

But as Chuck, Russ and others have said - you won't see the 7 or 8 second Stangs at a road course. Horses for courses....

well - make that horses for strips and snakes for courses :cool:

Viper Freak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Must we forget that the car has been out for just 1 year?

inVision

Enthusiast
Reaction score

he even agree's mine nicer all-around. no comparison.

I don't even think that's an argument at all.. a Cobra will never feel like a viper. The viper feels like a complete race car. I've had cobra's (not an 03) and they're good all around sports cars (much better than my **** Firechicken that fell apart). But the cobra will never have the all around Race car feel as the viper. I've been in a 00 Cobra R and it came much closer to the "Viper" feel. But they only made 300. :(

That's funny when I test drove a Viper, I thought, this feels so much like my R. Except the steering precision, the Viper is even better.

Just wait for the GT to come out, if you think supercharging a 4.6 makes an unbelievable combo, the 5.4's take power adders very well too. By the way, the Cobra guys may hate me for this, but if I had a choice (between the 03 Cobra and the Viper), I would choose the Viper, I would take the Z06 over the 03 Cobra too, but I'm not just a straight line guy.

NATE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just wait for the GT to come out, if you think supercharging a 4.6 makes an unbelievable combo, the 5.4's take power adders very well too. By the way, the Cobra guys may hate me for this, but if I had a choice (between the 03 Cobra and the Viper), I would choose the Viper, I would take the Z06 over the 03 Cobra too, but I'm not just a straight line guy.

I think most people, if money is not an option would take the Viper over the 03 Cobra. The Z06.....eh I don't know about that one, the corvette is just to much of a mid-life crisis car. There just isn't much manly about the newer Corvettes, but hey to each his own. But as far as bang for the buck, the 03 Cobra can not be beaten.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper