Lost to a Mustang........I'm so ashamed

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Lost to a Mustang........I\'m so ashamed

I have a Pauls high performance cold air kit,2.8 upper pulley,Metco 6lb lower pulley,Magnaflow catback and X-pipe, and a badass Diablo chip!.I have stock exhaust manifolds and throttle body. My GTS ran 11.70s on street tires @ 124 leaving at idle(trying not to break the half shafts)cutting 1.79 60fts. The Cobra went 11.10 leaving at around 5k cutting a 1.59 60ft at 126 and some change on some ET Streets.
Just curious as to the total cost of your upgrades to get your Mustang into the low 11's? Also I bet with a good set of tires (Kumho's!) and a good launch, the Viper would be in the mid to low 11's without the blower. Add a Roe S/C, 10's here we come!

BlownViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a Pauls high performance cold air kit,2.8 upper pulley,Metco 6lb lower pulley,Magnaflow catback and X-pipe, and a badass Diablo chip!.I have stock exhaust manifolds and throttle body. My GTS ran 11.70s on street tires @ 124 leaving at idle(trying not to break the half shafts)cutting 1.79 60fts. The Cobra went 11.10 leaving at around 5k cutting a 1.59 60ft at 126 and some change on some ET Streets.
Just curious as to the total cost of your upgrades to get your Mustang into the low 11's? Also I bet with a good set of tires (Kumho's!) and a good launch, the Viper would be in the mid to low 11's without the blower. Add a Roe S/C, 10's here we come!

I have probobly 1800 in mods done to the car. With some headers and throttle body, 10.70s shouldnt be a problem. If I put some tire on the viper...low 11s would have been easy

BlownViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Guys, I know when I am on the Highway the road doesnt end after a 1/4 mile. I am no expert but, the Mustang has to hit a wall around 150, Its as aerodynamic as a brick. I Know my Viper pulls hard way past that...00PROWLER...

My speedo reads 160,I have had it pegged and gone about 2k RPM further than that. A few guys got a hold of a radar gun on one of the mustang boards and clocked thier cars doing 170 on one and 176 in another with more room to play. I do have to admit..My viper felt more comfortable at those speed,but my Cobra feels almost as good

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No flames intended, but I do have a question regarding this thread. Before I start, I do think the new s/c mustang is a neat car, but hardly in the league of a Viper. OK, now with just $1800 in mods (heck, my 3"Corsa cost $1200!), those reported times sure seem amazing. It would seem that your Cobra must be producing a whole bunch of horses (BIG ones, no less). 11 second street machines with the weight of the Cobra have got to be over, what, maybe 550-600 horsepower...that's huge for $1800! Must be one of those ****** chips and pulleys! OK, now with all this being thought through, how long or how many miles do you think the engine will stay together? Today's manufacturers really don't build in Safety Factors in engine designs like yesterday...too much weight and too much cost. If an engineer can figure out how to use 4 bolts instead of 5, he get's promoted for a major cost savings! Anyway, sure seems like alot of hocus-pocus to get 11 second times on a $1800 mod'd s/c cobra...must be the best deal in the world!! I do like the car though, but I'll keep my GTS.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is supposed to be all forged(pistons, rods, crank). Heard of a few problems engines on the net, but nothing widespread.

BlownViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No flames intended, but I do have a question regarding this thread. Before I start, I do think the new s/c mustang is a neat car, but hardly in the league of a Viper. OK, now with just $1800 in mods (heck, my 3"Corsa cost $1200!), those reported times sure seem amazing. It would seem that your Cobra must be producing a whole bunch of horses (BIG ones, no less). 11 second street machines with the weight of the Cobra have got to be over, what, maybe 550-600 horsepower...that's huge for $1800! Must be one of those ****** chips and pulleys! OK, now with all this being thought through, how long or how many miles do you think the engine will stay together? Today's manufacturers really don't build in Safety Factors in engine designs like yesterday...too much weight and too much cost. If an engineer can figure out how to use 4 bolts instead of 5, he get's promoted for a major cost savings! Anyway, sure seems like alot of hocus-pocus to get 11 second times on a $1800 mod'd s/c cobra...must be the best deal in the world!! I do like the car though, but I'll keep my GTS.

When you get a chance....read some of the SVT forums....You will learn alot before you talk about things you obviousley know nothing about ;) I love Vipers,no doubt,Im in the market for another one. If you think I have spent more than 1800 or have more mods, I invite you make a trip to San Antonio and we can test my "******-FIED" Cobra against your Viper. If I win,you pay for the trip,you win,Ill pay for the trip.How bout it? Ill show you how an X-pipe,cat back,cold air intake,chip, and a couple of pullies will throw you to the back of the pack. My car made 465 rwhp and 510 ft/lbs at the wheels with 4 lbs lees boost than I am running now. I am fully confident that these motors will take a beating..There are several guy running 30+ psi on after market bigger blowers with absolutely no problems.The internals are completely forged with Manley H-beam rods,forged pistons, and billet crank. So back to the "hocus pocus"...Bring it...dont sing it

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

why in the h*ll would you be ashamed for losing?? you ran a race against a vehicle in its own element. get over it. if you want to get back at him dont drop 20k into your already increadible and damnn expensive to upgrade viper, put 20k into an f-body and go spank him.

as for the streetracing part, to each his own, like everything else, it can be detrimental at a certain level. im not exactly an advocate for it but i also dont think we should hang your asss for it, LOL,

looks like you learned two lessons eh?

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's not that I'm so ashamed for losing but I just didn't make a good run. I spun the tires loose at the start so I never had a chance. If I ever learn to launch the Viper I'm sure it would have been a completely diffent outcome. The part that didn't sit well was after I slowed down a guy in a pickup pulled up and said "what happend, you're in a Viper?". So obviously everyone expects the Viper to win every time. And obviously it was driver error that lost the race not necessarily the vehicle.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I saw a dyno sheet on a S/C Cobra that had only some aftermarket air filter, a chip, and a pulley. 448 rwhp. Dyno'd at Abacus Racing in Norfolk, VA. Hey...that's stock SRT-10 territory.

Makes me happy. It's good to know there's still an American manufacturer out there that builds a cheap muscle car. Chevy simply quit. Ford stepped up to the plate with this Cobra. Good for them. What's Dodge have in the Cobra's category? What ever happened to that Charger idea? We Mopar guys get next year...what...a $50K+ Viper V-10 TRUCK? Neat, but it's a TRUCK.

BTW, this 448 rwhp Cobra guy had a time slip that showed 11.74 @ 119 mph. Some sticky BFG street tires for that run.

C'mon, Dodge: build a cheap muscle car! And I don't mean just some FWD turbo Neon.

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmmmm....good idea. Check the SVT Forums to learn more about the subject. The authenticity of the SVT Forum data is above challenge and question. OK, I still won't buy it! What kind of horsepower and torque is necessary in an '03 Mustang, with it's weight and traction capability, to run in the 11 second bracket? I don't know that answer but there are some very good, reputible tuners (like Jason Heffner) who know Mustangs and could probably give us a close estimation. And please, don't tell me to check the SVT Forum...we both know, and most of the readers know, that there is alot of poor quality data reported (a.k.a. B/S). As far as the longevity question, I have read of '03 Cobra owners with boosted engines talking about problems they are encountering at relatively low miles. As far as coming to Texas to run your challenge race, don't you really think that that's a little worn out? Isn't the purpose of a "forum" to ask questions? Nothing I originally said is out of line. Cool your jets, 'stang, 11 second almost stock Mustangs are worthy of a few questions. Oh yeah, I used to live in Texas...great state, beautiful women, low taxes, et al.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ah, This reminds me once again of my hatch glass decal :laugh:

248mudstangdecal-med.jpg

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Geez... some of you guys are complete turds living in a hole! Of coarse the Cobra doesn't compare to the viper in many man ways... but if you open your eyes you'll see that the cobra makes the sick kind of power that makes you scratch your head and wonder how a simple 4.6 v8 is out powering Vipers ALL OVER the place.

All you need is a new Cobra and a KB Blower and you'll have 99% of any viper "run away with with it's tail between it's legs". Why have the vipers been out for 10 years and not one (to my knowledge) has run a 9 sec. run on a stock motor? There are at least 4 Cobras running 9's @ 140+ on STOCK ENGINES!!! C'mon man... they've been out for not even 1 year. I don't even have a 03 Cobra... but they deserve great respect!

So much for your whining "yeah but put a blower on a camaro/vette/viper" they still wouldn't even come CLOSE to a KB 2003 Cobra.....

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Geez... some of you guys are complete turds living in a hole!
So you are ranting about a friggin Mustang, opps I mean Cobra, being faster than a Viper and you say we are living in a hole? Strap a jet engine on that Mustang of yours and it would be even faster but it would still be a POS mustang wantabe.

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score

those 9 sec cobras are running 100 shots on top of powerglides and the faster one has a live axel and no interior. probably has a tube in it now too. plus 30lbs of boost. i had a cobra, they **** and mine made more power than yours.

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

those 9 sec cobras are running 100 shots on top of powerglides and the faster one has a live axel and no interior. probably has a tube in it now too. plus 30lbs of boost. i had a cobra, they **** and mine made more power than yours.

If you can read you'll see that I don't have a cobra. I have a 00 GTS viper. And get your facts strait... they have 2 03 cobra's running 9's on STOCK tranny, STOCK rear ends and STOCK interior. Do some research before you spout stuff off. I bet those cobra's made more power than your V10 with NOS and that's why you're bitter.

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BULL F-ING ****. ive raced against both those cars. richard lutz and nitrous pete.i was there when they both dipped into the 9s, i talked to lutz for 30 min in the staging lanes and we compaired cars. they are probably using my intercooler design by now. i raced the nmra race in bradenton and had the 3rd fastest 03 cobra there. feel free to call them. neither have 6speeds and richards car has a live axel instead of the independant rear. nitrous pete sold his and the kid who bought it is having big problems with it. the car is basically totaled, richards car didnt go 9.60 with a full interior and had a tube front end before they even got their kenne bell blower on. both cars have had to spray nitrous to run in the 9s on top of the big boost.

i sold my 500rwhp (no nos) 03 cobra rattle trap to buy my viper, in 6k miles the car rattled like a box of tic-tacs, the doors didnt ligh up, the rear end leaked and popped, the tranny clunked, and the clutch was dead. now i have 600rwhp in a solid car that turns heads.

why dont you call richards shop, the yellow car,the one you think went 9.60 with nothing more than a blower upgrade, strictly pro or something and ask them what they have done, i bet its over 20k. or you can go to www.modularfords.com to get YOUR info straight before you start SPOUTING off your BS.

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score

oh, i forgot, the motor ticked on my car, it ticks on the yellow car and it ticks on nitrous petes old car too.

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Geez... some of you guys are complete turds living in a hole!
So you are ranting about a friggin Mustang, opps I mean Cobra, being faster than a Viper and you say we are living in a hole? Strap a jet engine on that Mustang of yours and it would be even faster but it would still be a POS mustang wantabe.

Again I see a lot of jealousy that your big V10 with all the mods you have is being out-powered by a 4.6 V8. You're talking about strapping a "Jet Engine" and I'm talking about a STOCK engine..... :shocked: .. you're a mule.

Man you really are living in a hole. Just because a car cost 34k compared to your viper you dissmis it as a "POS". That's stuff I use to say in 1st grade. The cobra is the best sports car you can by for under 40k.

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i sold my 500rwhp (no nos) 03 cobra rattle trap to buy my viper, in 6k miles the car rattled like a box of tic-tacs, the doors didnt ligh up, the rear end leaked and popped, the tranny clunked, and the clutch was dead. now i have 600rwhp in a solid car that turns heads.

1. The 1st vipers were complete junk untill 96. My viper has vibrations and rattles like any other car.. the E brake handle is the most noticable and I've heard several other vipers do it.. it's not a Bently.

2. The fact still stands that those cobra's are faster than any stock engine viper.

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score

...if you want a death trap rattle box of ticking clunking poping garbage crap warranty piece of mechanical genious :(

get rear ended in a mustang and make it out alive, i dare you.

it is a 34k piece of ****. there is no dobut in my mind, ive traveled that path. why dont you quit keyboard racing and go buy one of the pieces of junk since you wasted so much money on a viper.

oops, almost forgot, my car wouldnt hold an alignment either, it always pulled to the right. the stock suspension is set lower than that chassis was ever designed to be. the seats **** too.

poweradded

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2. The fact still stands that those cobra's are faster than any stock engine viper.

yeah, for 1k miles, im sure you could do a 500 shot fogger and make it last for a few weeks, but, most people that have a viper have the common sense not to blow it up. looks like you slipped through the crack.

those cobras motors are grenading all over the place, they start ticking on stock boost if you drive them hard. the yellow cars motor has been opened and petes has more vaccume leaks than a hoover shot with a 12ga.

please, stop posting here and go over to the modfords board or svtperf immediatley

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

...if you want a death trap rattle box of ticking clunking poping garbage crap warranty piece of mechanical genious :(

get rear ended in a mustang and make it out alive, i dare you.

it is a 34k piece of ****. there is no dobut in my mind, ive traveled that path. why dont you quit keyboard racing and go buy one of the pieces of junk since you wasted so much money on a viper.

oops, almost forgot, my car wouldnt hold an alignment either, it always pulled to the right. the stock suspension is set lower than that chassis was ever designed to be. the seats **** too.

I love my viper. People (some people) are jealouse of what the engine in the 03 Cobra is capable of. But you see.. you want to avoid that so you change the subject to other things which are obviously made up. Do you think they would sell a car that can never be aligned? It's like me saying the viper is Crap because it doesn't have a truck bed I can throw stuff in. They don't sell thousands of mustangs because they fall apart.

Do you honestly fool yourself into believeing the Viper is a safer car than a Mustang? You're the kind of person that thinks the viper is the only car worth looking at.. and that's childish.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steel,, are you saying a bone stock rustang will beat a bone stock viper?

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

yeah, for 1k miles, im sure you could do a 500 shot fogger and make it last for a few weeks, but, most people that have a viper have the common sense not to blow it up. looks like you slipped through the crack.

those cobras motors are grenading all over the place, they start ticking on stock boost if you drive them hard. the yellow cars motor has been opened and petes has more vaccume leaks than a hoover shot with a 12ga.

please, stop posting here and go over to the modfords board or svtperf immediatley

Make 850 RWHP in your viper on the dyno without opening the engine and without Blowing anything up... go ahead.. I don't think you can do it without blowing something up. I mean people are blowing read ends in vipers all over the place but I don't bring that up.

You're a child because you think I'm bashing the viper but all I'm doing is defending an American sports car that started it all. The cobra is better than ever now.

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steel,, are you saying a bone stock rustang will beat a bone stock viper?

Hmmm. I don't recall saying that. I think a bone stock 03 cobra could beat a bone stock 94 RT/10 though, 1/4 and road coarse they would be close.

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey MattL,
I believe nitrous pete's car is here in St. Louis, if I am not mistaken the motor crapped out on him. I believe he has had a lot of problems with the car since the purchase...I don't know any specifics, only rumors. There are a few '03 cobras running around here and the one that sticks out in my mind is a Kenny Bell car and the guy has broken more parts than you could throw a stick at. I think they have the potential to be very fast, but so can most muscle cars...f-bodies, vettes, vipers...etc. Anyway, I just wanted to pass on the nitrous pete info, I didn't want to ruffle anyones feathers.
Later,
Joe

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One of my friends has a cobra, I'm not saying it isn't a nice car because it is. I still don't think you can compare the two, Even my "old bucket of bolts" is way better in handling & comfort! He's a die-hard ford guy, still won't race me cuz he'll lose. We've each rode in each other's cars, he even agree's mine nicer all-around. no comparison.

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

he even agree's mine nicer all-around. no comparison.

I don't even think that's an argument at all.. a Cobra will never feel like a viper. The viper feels like a complete race car. I've had cobra's (not an 03) and they're good all around sports cars (much better than my **** Firechicken that fell apart). But the cobra will never have the all around Race car feel as the viper. I've been in a 00 Cobra R and it came much closer to the "Viper" feel. But they only made 300. :(

Steel00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

still won't race me cuz he'll lose.

I think stock for stock it would be a very close race with you... If he has a chip and pulley there is no way he would lose.