Low Oil Pressure Indicator light

Gheijos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear All,
I had my baby out for the first time this year last weekend and as I was stopped at a traffic light, I noticed my low oil pressure indicator light flicking on/off. I checked the independent oil pressure gauge and everything seemed normal. I checked the oil level and it to is normal. When I either rev the engine or drive off, the light goes off and comes back on inconsistantly at stops. Any thoughts on this...do I need to be worried. My bet is this affect will stop once I drive the car more often, but I just wanted to see what you all thought.

Regards,
Joseph

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
when you are stopped and the light is flickering, what does your ACTUAL oil pressure gauge read? (give pressures at Hot Idle, Cold Idle, and Cruise-Hot)

If the pressure gauge reads correct, it is either a faulty indicator sending unit (separate from pressure gauge sending unit) or it is a faulty wire, which grounds itself through the sensor to illuminate the warning lamp. If the gauge confirms the illuminated light, might be time for an engine rebuild unfortunatly. Lastly, it is possible that your oil pickup is sucking up air through a faulty oil pan gasket, which could POSSIBLY not show on gauge as it is slow reacting, but indeed show on the "idiot light"

You should NEVER see that illuminate while driving (in normal circumstances), as it comes on when pressure drops to 8 PSI. Normal cold idle is 65-70, hot idle is 40, and cruise is 55-60.

Any more info would be appreciated.