Low Profile Car Jack

JasonSSG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could someone recommend a car jack that can slide underneath the car. Conventional car jacks are too high and I don't have access to a lift. Ill need to be able to change the oil soon and prefer to do it myself.

pdub

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Costco has an Arcan floor jack for about 100.00 It goes from 3.5" to over 21". It is very heavy though, not one to take to the track.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used an AC Hydraulics DK13HLQ for years. Pricey, but it is the nicest jack I've owned in terms of its ability to reach far under lowered cars and get them up high in the air.

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 2 harbor freight low profile jacks as well. The lightweight aluminum version is great for travel but if you are only using it in the garage the regular heavy one works just as good if not better.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agree with Steve M above - AC are amazingquality. Check out their flat to jack stands as well. They are the only jackstands I will use to go under a car. Lots of years in pits and paddock and Ican tell you some horror stories. When it comes to jack and stands spend theextra to protect yourself and the car.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agree with Steve M above - AC are amazingquality. Check out their flat to jack stands as well. They are the only jackstands I will use to go under a car. Lots of years in pits and paddock and Ican tell you some horror stories. When it comes to jack and stands spend theextra to protect yourself and the car

I had a hard time sourcing the AC Hydraulics stands when I was looking for them (I think they had just stopped producing them or something, and it still looks like that's the case), so I went with the ESCO jack stands. The design is very similar, and I love the rubber flat top pads on them. You can see them in this pic here under my car:

You must be registered for see images attach

They aren't too terribly cheap either, but they are nice.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Griots garage has some nice jacks and stands

The trick is figuring out who they are using as the supplier...Griot's has made a very good business out of finding good stuff out there, then slapping their logo on it and selling it at a markup. I'm not trying to knock what they're doing, but you can usually save some money if you go straight to the source.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll take a cheap lightweight 1.5ton aluminum short-body jack over a fancier better spec'd expensive one any day of the week.

Why, because it fits my application better. Ive got a two car garage and with the short body jack i am able to get a car up even if it is on one side of the garage. With one of these lager units the jack is up against the wall and the lever would only move a few inches before hitting the wall (like a pool table in too small of a room)
Also, the small lightweight design makes it convenient to throw in my trunk to take to performance events.

Now, If i had a pole-barn for my garage and a trailer for my racecar & tools then i would definitely go for some of the "nicer" units that are posted in this thread.:2tu:

Steve made a good point about "horror stories" but in some cases i think that the operator can be more important than the equipment. It is wise to never take any chances when you are laying under a +3000 pound object.
There has even been times when i have lifted my truck with a 2-post lift and when it got up waist high i looked under and didnt like exactly how one of the arms was lined up on the frame. Put her down, adjust by a half inch, re-lift. No big deal. Never be in a rush.(unless you are in a pit crew where that is your JOB. lol)

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the small Alum low profile one from Harbor Freight for a few years now. Works great.
If you don't want to spend the money drive up on on chunks of 2x10's and then most regular jacks will work.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the Craftsmen Aluminum low profile jack. It is very light and has no clearance issues.

Bruce

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the crafstman, low profile jack, and I just picked up the harbor freight light weight one for 59.99 with a coupon they publish.

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At 2 1/4 inches of ground clearance, I haven't found a jack to suit my car. I just use a couple homemade 2x12" pieces of wood ramps and then a standard floor jack.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey SteveM,
I noticed you have your car up on jack stands. Where do you put the head of the jack stand under the car? I only see the little triangular jacking pionts and don't know where the stands go, that would not bend or "F" something up underneath the car.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey SteveM,
I noticed you have your car up on jack stands. Where do you put the head of the jack stand under the car? I only see the little triangular jacking pionts and don't know where the stands go, that would not bend or "F" something up underneath the car.

I either put them directly under those triangles (the stands have rubber pads), or find a frame rail nearby. I usually jack it one side at a time, so I grab it by the rear triangle and put a jack stand up front and find a frame rail in the back, move around to the other side and repeat.

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anybody have any good pics of where on the frame rails the jack stands can go safely?
Also, how do most people go about getting it on 4 stands? Do you jack one side at a time?
Thanks, good info on this thread

beerly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a hard time finding a good lo pro jack as well. So I just bought a 2x6 and cut six 12 inch lengths, 3 for each side. I bolted one on top of another and used the third in front as a stair step to drive the car up onto the double stack. By keeping the single piece loose, you can slide it out of the way once the front wheels are up on the double stack. This gives you a good 3 inches of clearance and I just use my regular jack. As for getting it up on four stands, I jack the front up first, then put the stands on the frame rails. With the front end up off the ground theres plenty of clearance to get the jack under the rear jack points. Using two jacks, jack the rear up at the same time, or if you're by yourself, jack one side a couple of pumps, then the other side. I've done it a hundred times and its very stable.

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a hard time finding a good lo pro jack as well. So I just bought a 2x6 and cut six 12 inch lengths, 3 for each side. I bolted one on top of another and used the third in front as a stair step to drive the car up onto the double stack. By keeping the single piece loose, you can slide it out of the way once the front wheels are up on the double stack. This gives you a good 3 inches of clearance and I just use my regular jack. As for getting it up on four stands, I jack the front up first, then put the stands on the frame rails. With the front end up off the ground theres plenty of clearance to get the jack under the rear jack points. Using two jacks, jack the rear up at the same time, or if you're by yourself, jack one side a couple of pumps, then the other side. I've done it a hundred times and its very stable.
I did the same thing myself I used 2x12 16inch in length and tapered the ends in a 30 degree angle then sprayed rubberized glue on the bottom so it won't slide around works great.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody have any good pics of where on the frame rails the jack stands can go safely?
Also, how do most people go about getting it on 4 stands? Do you jack one side at a time?
Thanks, good info on this thread

I drive up on ramps and then jack the back up with either one or two low profile jacks. Then I jack up the front and install jack stands on the rails...Dave666 Has some good pictures posted of where to jack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang