Low sulphur petrol?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our unleaded petrol in the UK is has now become "low sulphur". Anyone any ideas if this can effect the engine?

When the leaded petrol stopped over here, just one tank of the new unleaded fuel, burnt my valves out in a Ford (shush...don't tell anyone I drive Fords!!) So I'm wondering what low sulphur could do to my beloved Viper?
You must be registered for see images

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is sulfur in nearly all motor fuels. In gasoline, the percentage is very small (~500ppm) but is headed significantly lower (~50ppm). The primary benefit to reduced sulfur levels in gasoline is longer life for catalytic convertors. Sulfur coats the surfaces, renders them ineffective and increases backpressure in the exhaust system.

Dan Vargus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you contact one your local speed merchants. They may be able to give you a quick class on sulfer, gravity, and hot or cold burn rates of your local petrol. You may need to cool down the burn rate of your fuel with aditives. As you you probably know leaded fuel burns cooler than unleaded. Sulfer may change the burn temp and burn rate of the fuel. Your local speed merchants may have an aditive that may slow down the burn rate of your local fuels.
Ceow, Dan Vargus/PartsRack

Dan Vargus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nadine one other thing you may want to consider a fuel catalist filter. It installs in your fuel line. It will remove impurities from your petrol. It will increase performance because your engine will burn cleaner petrol. On the Dyno it works...
Dan Vargus/PartsRack