Lowering a Gen 2 ACR?

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I know, use the search feature... There has been a lot of talk about springs and caps and coilovers lately so what exactly do I need to lower my 2000 ACR?

I have 20's all around with Nitto Invo's 285-30's (front) and 345-25's in the rear.

I would like to do this myself, I just need the proper guidance, parts, and info. I would like to lower it an inch all the way around. Would that be too much? I know some people only lower their's about 3/4".

Here is what it looks like now. :2tu:
You must be registered for see images attach

I know the stock ACR springs are really rough on the road, so I would like to make it ride better as well. I use this for street driving only. Thanks!

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Switch the rear springs to 800lbs and lower your car with the coilovers you already have

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Switch the rear springs to 800lbs and lower your car with the coilovers you already have

Thanks! What springs (brand) do I need? I don't have the tool for the ACR coilovers. How much can you adjust the coilovers to lower it?

Are the front springs 800lbs already? I heard the back ones are 1100lbs?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! What springs (brand) do I need? I don't have the tool for the ACR coilovers. How much can you adjust the coilovers to lower it?

Are the front springs 800lbs already? I heard the back ones are 1100lbs?

Do you have the Dynamic Suspensions shocks (blue and gold) or the Konis?

If Dynamic Suspensions, then the stock fronts are 500 pounds and stock rears are 1100. Jon at partsrack sold me replacement rear springs at 850 pounds, and I believe that they weee the same manufacturer as the OEM. The replacements were Hypercoil. They did definitely improve the ride. The DS shocks can probably be lowered as much as you'd want to go. You don't really need the tool (there is one on eBay now.) Just an allen wrench to loosen the set screw and something to poke in the hole of the spring perch to turn it. (I think it was a 1/4 inch hole, so a large punch or something would work.)

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3 matching shocks (going by color) and one that doesn't match...

All of them say Koni on them, but the shafts are different colors. One of them must have been replaced at some point.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• Picture 074.jpg
    Picture 074.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Picture 076.jpg
    Picture 076.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 79

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3 matching shocks (going by color) and one that doesn't match...

All of them say Koni on them, but the shafts are different colors. One of them must have been replaced at some point. Thank you for your help!

Well my input was really no help since I was only really talking about the DS shocks like some of the others were. I've only heard about the high spring rate used on the rear DS set-up. I haven't read the same about the Konis that were used on the earlier 2000 and 1999 ACRs. So, probably the 1100 pound spring issue is not applicable to yours.

Some of our site supporters would definitely have knowledge about how far down you might be able to adjust your spring perches safely. I'd guess that beyond some point, the spring would not be loaded correctly if you get your car in a very hard turn or going over a hill where the suspension on a corner goes totally unloaded.

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This looks like an adjustable shock just back down the nuts 1 1/2 inches and see what it looks like.
You must be registered for see images

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do notice they are different now bur are both koni's. look for model #'s. I'm guessing one of the originals blew or began leaking and a newer/updated shock is what they used to replace it

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do notice they are different now bur are both koni's. look for model #'s. I'm guessing one of the originals blew or began leaking and a newer/updated shock is what they used to replace it

That's what I'm thinking too. I should just be able to adjust the coilovers like mentioned before. I do want to sway out the springs for a smoother ride eventually.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what the spring rates were on the Koni setups. I'd call JonB to find out. He also prob has one of the adjustment tools you'll need as well. If they aren't the 1100lb springs you can just adjust your ride height and have your alignment checked

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you saying that because I want it to ride smoother? Do you have an ACR with stock springs and 20's all around to compare too?

I just put KW2s on my car, ride is A LOT smoother, and the steering is excellent, a lot tighter then it was before. I couldn't be happier with the overall new suspension, especially since my car now sits lower too! :2tu:

By the way, I have 19s in front and 20s rear.

Also, if you are in fact interested, hit JonB up for the KW2s. I ordered mine through him about 3 weeks ago. He has the BEST prices. :)

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok here's the deal, you've got the earlier Koni 2812 shocks. The black one is just a later model addition swapped out under warranty. The Koni shocks came with Hypercoil springs and are soft compared to the later Dynamic shock combo. I've got a pic of the proper spanner wrenches in my gallery photos.

Looking at your photos, it looks like someone used something harsh on the a-arms. It appears the silver paint that was factory applied has been stripped.

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put KW2s on my car, ride is A LOT smoother, and the steering is excellent, a lot tighter then it was before. I couldn't be happier with the overall new suspension, especially since my car now sits lower too! :2tu:

By the way, I have 19s in front and 20s rear.

Also, if you are in fact interested, hit JonB up for the KW2s. I ordered mine through him about 3 weeks ago. He has the BEST prices. :)

I would like to have them, but I'm not looking to spend that much right now, just a simple spring swap will work. Might as well use the coilovers that I have ;)

Looking at your photos, it looks like someone used something harsh on the a-arms. It appears the silver paint that was factory applied has been stripped.

:lmao: That was me! I stripped them, primed and repainted them. They look brand new now :2tu:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to have them, but I'm not looking to spend that much right now, just a simple spring swap will work. Might as well use the coilovers that I have ;)

I hear ya, def makes sense. Well, if for future reference anyway, if you ever do decide to go the KW2 route, hit JonB up for sure :)

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2-cents....if you mess with spring height, you probably should get a wheel alignment as this would affect the geometry. Depending on what you consider "not spending much", a four wheel alignment would have to be added to the cost.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2-cents....if you mess with spring height, you probably should get a wheel alignment as this would affect the geometry. Depending on what you consider "not spending much", a four wheel alignment would have to be added to the cost.

An alignment is a must. I got my alignment done after my KW2s were installed the same day.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just to clarify some things, from 1999-2000.5 the ACR was equipped with KONI coilovers, often called "rattlers" due to the noise the springs make whan rapidly unloaded / negative Gs. Konos were "properlty" sprung in so far as spring rates.

DSIs were a running-design-change in mid 2000 til 2002...they were significantly oversprung at the rear, { the 'only miscalculatiion' that I personally think Team Viper ever made.}

The shock adjsutment wrench and rear springs are available from Site Sponsors....please support them.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you saying that because I want it to ride smoother? Do you have an ACR with stock springs and 20's all around to compare too?

Buying an ACR with the stiff race inspired suspension with the intentions of rocking 20" wheels was Very Counterproductive.
I can imagine how harsh the ride is with that setup and minimal tire sidewall.

Here are some spring rates for reference:
Spring(lbs): Front/Rear
Stock......... 250 / 450
Eibach........ 343 / 457-800(progressive)
ACRv1Koni...400 / 750
ACRv2DSI... 500 / 1100

Your options at this point are to call JonB and get softer springs that are compatible with your adjustable height coilover shocks, and then adjust the height to your liking.

or, buy some stock(non-ACR) Viper Koni shocks and pair them with the lower eibach springs or lowering caps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery