Lowering ACR Difficult?

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read the instructions on how to lower the 2008 ACR given the tool provided. Seems easy enough or is it? Help!

OP
OP
V

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mjorgensen - thanks for the reply. Can I assume then I would need to readjust the alignment and corner weights? If so, even though I have a lift, I'm out of my league. Glad I asked. Please let me know. Thanks

Reaction score
The corners will change but only slightly if you lower the EXACT amount all the way around. The alignment will also change slightly and you should have it checked and reset on an ACR especially with the soft tires.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's very, very easy to do. Do it yourself - you'll learn a little about the ACR and how the suspension is adjusted. The hardest part is removeing the wheels - seriously.

After you're done just get a wheel alignment. Your alignment settings will vary depending on what you plan to do with the car. Do you plan on tracking the car or you just want a lowered look for the street?

Greg

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
zero out all the suspension setting to full hard or soft so your starting at the same spot with all the shocks, because there all over the place from the factory. and you will get a chuckle over the breaking of the tape seal on the shocks will void the warranty on them.just use the acr manual and measure were they show you at the frame so you maintain the correct rake for the car and remember to drive it a little after each adjustment to settle the cars suspension.:2tu:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Very easy and you can do it with the wheels and tires on.

The following will help you obtain an approximate ride height:

1 - With the car on level ground, measure your starting point from the ground to the bottom of each fender lip.

2 - Raise the car. It is easiest with all 4 wheels off of the ground.

3 - Mark the "rings" on the shocks with a sharpie and turn the rings down to take the car down the same number of turns all around, i.e. 3 full turns at each shock or 5 full turns at each shock etc. depending on how low you want the car. Don't forget to loosen the small set screw in the ring with the Allen wrench provided with the car.

4 - Lower the car to the ground.

5 - Drive it around the block to settle the suspension. You can roll it back and forth a bit but you'll get better results after a short ride.

6 - Check your new ride height at each fender to see how much you've lowered the car. When you get close to your goal, go to the frame per the ACR manual. This is a bit tougher to measure. I cut out some foam pieces to the correct ride heights for my car front and rear, smooth track.

7 - Once you get your ride height close, you can scale the car, make minor adjustments with the sway bars disconnected and check / adjust your alignment as necessary. Reconnect everything and get to the track!

The ACR manual will give you an idea of how much 1 full turn lowers the car front and rear.

Good luck,

Dan

Last edited:

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cut down a metal ruler to fit in the space under the car. It's tough to get a good measurement in your garage but with a little ingenuity it's just fine.

'Cut down some foam blocks'.... Great idea!

Greg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang