lowering the motor

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its easy Chuck. Just buy a GTSR that way the motor is already lowered for you. No work to do.:2tu:

Is that a subtle hint regarding the difficulties? LOL

Sometimes I think about buying a purpose built tracker like a CC or race prepped GTS but then I lose the experience of measuring each change. I like to make a change, track it then verify the results.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious is this for the effect of lowering center of gravity? I can't imagine from a fabrication standpoint it being that difficult but you'd also have to look at the tranny mount and driveshaft angle. What amount are you thinking?

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. Center of gravity. It would need a dry sump system and could only be lowered an inch or two at the most probably. But setting several hundreds pounds an inch or two lower should have a noticable affect.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And, no more air flow beneath the car, engine,....might raise a cooling issue also.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,

I was just playing around with my cars motor moving it around to try and get more space for the turbos.

The only issue I see is you will need to get some custom motor mounts and adapters made if your goal is to lower it only a few inches. If you want to do more than that you will need to get creative.

From my perspective there is no reason for a dry sump the pan isn't that low, and you will also want to do the same with the trans since that will be easy as well except having to do some mods to the shifter.

vp97

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd think you would have to switch to a dry-sump system. Whats the height of a gen2 pan? Say its 6inches and you go to a dry-sump pan which would be 2inches in height. Thats 4 inches you can lower it with out putting the bottom of the pan closer to the ground. The engine mounts and tranny mounts would be easy to make. About the driveshaft and ujoints, I have no idea about the correct angles.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The GTS oilpan cannot be lowered as it is already the same height as the frame. Dry sump would allow lowering the engine and trans.

To maintaine the correct angles Lower the front and the back the same amount, thus keeping the same driveline angle between the rear pinion and crank centerline. The driveshaft is the piece in the middle that allows the engine and trans to be a different height than the rear axle pinion while maintaining the same angles.

Ted

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about header clearance, which is why I'd like to see if the GTSR headers are available. I thought they were SVS headers but I'm not sure.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about header clearance, which is why I'd like to see if the GTSR headers are available. I thought they were SVS headers but I'm not sure.

You should be more concerned about the fact ******* isn't willing to give you a parking spot for your 100k MILE VIPER.................................................................................

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You should be able to call up any Header company (that's in business) and ask them to weld the pipes into the head flanges with the collectors being an inch or two higher. Money conquers all?

I would think that depending on their jigs it shouldn't be too much of an upcharge for a custom angle on the head flange?

Ted

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should be more concerned about the fact ******* isn't willing to give you a parking spot for your 100k MILE VIPER.................................................................................

******* schmooters. Winghouse women are hotter, flirtier and sluttier.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a race-only '98 with a dry sump set up. The headers fit fine but I'm not sure if the engine has been lowered. My brother is running it at the Glen this weekend but if you want pix to help with geometry I'd be happy to take pix of what would be helpful to you in this quest.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think Manny's car had a lowered engine but I can't say for sure. I haven't seen nor heard from him in ages. I gathered he's more an SCCA member than a Viper member now.
If you've got his email shoot him a note. I've lost it or I'd send it to you.

Carl

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96