Lowering the Viper?

Brad

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For all who have dropped the Viper did u jsut cut the stock springs, or go with aftermarket like Eibach?

I have heard mixed reviews...if anything what is the best product to go with? I am not looking to save money or go cheap. I want the best.

thanks all

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also FYI I lowered my car with Eibachs and although I haven't tracked it yet since, I'm happy with the ride. I would guess that those who are complaining about the ride the Eibachs give, haven't adjusted their damping on their shocks.

I would agree. I didn't adjust the damping on my car when I put on the Eibachs and can notice a difference from a friend's that did when he put on his Eibachs. Mine feels a little too harsh at times :(

ninjaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used Aldan shocks and springs ordered through parts rack. There are different degress of spring stiffness that will influence handling and Jon B or a knowledgeable mechanic can advise you in this regard.
4643Viper_GTS_010-med.jpg

4643Viper_GTS_011-med.jpg

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did not know that the stock shocks on a GTS were adjustable or are you talking about a GTS/ACR? I had a reliable local shop install the Eibach springs and do an alignment after the installment.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my gts with springs cut. Not the most recommended setup, but was the only thing available back in 97. The biggest concern being that the springs may not be cut evenly. However if done right, as mine were, it works just fine. Save yourself the guesswork and buy the Eibachs.

If you're going to drop an already low car, get some aluminum skids. They bolt right on and take the brunt of speedbump scrapes.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my gts used with springs already cut. Not the most recommended setup, but was the only thing available back in 97 when it was done. The biggest concern being that the springs may not be cut evenly. However if done right, as mine were, it works just fine. Save yourself the guesswork and buy the Eibachs.

If you're going to drop an already low car, get some aluminum skids. They bolt right on and take the brunt of speedbump scrapes.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did not know that the stock shocks on a GTS were adjustable or are you talking about a GTS/ACR? I had a reliable local shop install the Eibach springs and do an alignment after the installment.

You need to remove the springs and the rubber stopper. Then you compress the shock all the way to the bottom. Once you have it compressed you can turn counter clockwise to increase the damping making them move slower. They come from the factory open all the way. Think of it as a water tap. The more you open the faster the fluid can travel, the more closed the more restriction thus slowing fluid speed. They are three turns from fully open to almost closed. Run your front one about 1/4 open about 3/4 of a full revolution. Run the back half open which would be 1 1/2 turns open or closed. Any questions?

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch the ricers drive down the road closely the next time you see one...

You see how it bounces quickly up and down on what seems nearly flat surface? You see how it looks like at any moment its gonna hit the downstops and lose any ounce of control it had? You see the punks earrings bounce around crazily from rocky ride? You see how crappy it is to cut the springs on ANY car?

Now, you see somebody do this to a Viper?

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad: It looks like ninjaviper has a nice set up although I am not familiar with it. I have adjustable Penske coil-overs all the way around. They give you amazing adjustability, ride height, ride control, handling characteritics, and maybe above all a FAR BETTER ride than stock. (Way better than any setting of your stock ACR set-up). My car is slung low like ninja's and rides better than any viper I have ever been in. I think the going retail price is around $4000. It's a high-end mod at that price tag, but it all comes down to what you want. My Penske's to me are a "must have mod", but I have a few of "those" and I'm sure that I'm biased...

When I seen the posted pics of your car, I said to myself - "That's a great looking car, he needs to lower it (it looks like a 4x4.)" Your car would stand out even more in any crowd. Here are a few poor quality pics. (The truck is my hillbilly neighbors, not mine):

You must be registered for see images

(sorry for the bad pics)

OP
OP
B

Brad

Viper Owner
Reaction score
dang those look nice...and yes the Viper DOES look like a 4x4...

I cant take it...the gap between the tires and rest of the car is insane....

I would like at least a 1 inch drop. I will look into the coil over system, and then jsut the Eibach approach, with adjusting the stock shocks.

I am not much of a road racer, and so i dont think i will really need a full coilover system. I jsut want the look of low and mean...it doesnt really matter if the ride isnt as "luxury"...not that it really is now...bump, bump....

hahahahaha

OP
OP
B

Brad

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NINJA, btw...your car looks INSANE...i am going to steal it and it to my collection...

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can you keep your hood from cracking up?
Either you don't drive it much on public roads or the streets in your town are all new.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch the ricers drive down the road closely the next time you see one...

You see how it bounces quickly up and down on what seems nearly flat surface? You see how it looks like at any moment its gonna hit the downstops and lose any ounce of control it had? You see the punks earrings bounce around crazily from rocky ride? You see how crappy it is to cut the springs on ANY car?

Now, you see somebody do this to a Viper?

I wouldn't recommend anyone cut their springs either. It makes no sense considering a set of Eibachs are pretty inexpensive. That said, my rear springs were cut by TNT a while ago by the original owner. I took it to my Vipertech to have them replaced with Eibachs, but after inspecting and driving it, he told me they were cut right and the handling wasn't affected adversely. Instead of making a easy couple hundreds of dollars, he gave me an honest answer. I have to assume he knows what he's talking about.

Again, I don't recommend cutting, but if done right, it's not the end of the world.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put on Eibachs and adjusted my stock Koni's. Should be a total of 1 3/4 turns from full soft to firm. There are several previous posts if you do a search.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumb for adjusting Koni? I am installing Eibachs and car is a street car only so I don't want too harsh of a ride but also do not want to bounce. Which setting would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance!

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hold on a second, back up....you mean my stock shocks on my 2000 rt/10 are adjustable? I didn't think so.

Hey chuck, come in on this. Anything you can add? You have my car !

Andrew

Dave's Big Brakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Andrew,

Yes they are :cool: If you have the stock OEM's :shocked: Their just a real PITA :( to adjust, as you have to take the springs off :eek: make it a good time to install Eibach's :2tu: Just ask the Wizard

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good thread. I'll be doing this soon too. I bought Eibach Pro Kit springs a few weeks ago. I just need to get a Viper now.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the off site e-mails I have gotten are to NOT lower the car, and if I do, springs and stock shocks are the cheap way out and not preferable. I want function more than looks. I want that car to handle the best it can on the road courses, and I'll do what I can do to drive it.

AC