Maintain the Viper motivation?

WS6FYRCHKN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like everyone here, I have a passion for Vipers. Being 21 with a good start into the IT field, I feel confident that "one day" I'll become a snake owner. However, with a house purchase in the near future and some other debt, Viper ownership looks a good 4+ years away (at least). For a young, impatient person such as myself this is quite discouraging.

My question is this: for those of you who spent many years before finally becoming owners, what kept you motivated? What is longest anyone here has worked to achieve this goal? I guess I'm looking for a little moral support and some success stories to keep my goals on track...

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Attend every Viper event you can -- you'll increase your knowledge, snag a few rides, and maybe even run across a car you can afford (you'll be less suspicious if you've seen it before and know the owner). Hang in there, it's worth it!

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First and foremost, you have your priorities in order. Get the house! Get the house!

I agree with Hiss. Attend the events. Make a passion out of it. It is worth the wait and will make all the sweeter.

Good Luck young man!

EastTnMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the feeling!!! I have a Vette vert as a daily driver, and the wife has a BMW vert...and I have a 355HP Boss Hoss motorcycle...finally they are paid off. I like about a year on the house getting it paid off, and I am searching for my future Viper. I have been bitten by the snake...and am looking for my dream now. I plan on driving the heck out of it when I get it, and would like to find a GTS in good shape, and the mileage doesn't bother me at all, because I plan on putting a lot more on her. I prefer an ACR, but would buy a GTS if I could find the one I want. Yes..I have been bitten, and can't wait to run upon the Viper of my dreams...

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a plan on how to position yourself financially on obtaining a Viper. Motivation tips: Pictures, magazine articles, internet videos, the web, and ofcourse there is ebay. I used to spend countless hours looking at Viper auctions prior to my purchase. Looking for that diamond in the rough.

I ended up buying new from a dealer, but who knew?

Set realistic goals, I wish you the best of luck.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good thing you are 4 years from owning a Viper because your car insurance would kill you at 21. At 25 you get a break. Perfect timing right? On a serious note you are to be commended for having your priorities together. If you wait too long you will see your dream won't be realized because stuff always happens to throw it off track. In 4-5 years nice GTS Vipers will be going for a lot more than they are today. Simply supply and demand. I hope this helps.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I waited 10 years. I wanted one from when the first show car appeared, but was not in a position to buy one until 2002. Motivation was never the problem. Patience was the problem.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as jrkermode. I wanted a Viper from the time I saw the concept in '89 but since I was just getting out of college it was out of the question. I finally got my GTS last May after selling my '69 Charger R/T SE and '68 Charger.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get a very nice Viper for $30k.
You don't really need to spend 2x that much just to have a Viper. The maintenance isn't really that much and they all look about the same.

Don't worry too much about the mileage. Find a gen1 with the new gaskets. Don't buy a salvage or a wreck or any car that needs to be fixed up.

Think gen1 R/T and you can have your Viper much sooner.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There you go, $24k.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you feel like it's going to be hard to keep from buying a Vette while you are saving up for your Viper, just buy a Vette priced Viper.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
When the Viper hit the streets in 92, I wanted one right away, it actually hurt to think about it. Made my heart yearn with desire, almost like looking at a nice girl with a fabulous a*s. Hope that isn't too graphic for the smores set.

I had to start a business in 1996 to be able afford a new Viper, and five years later, in 2001, I bought a new one!

Funny thing happened along the way- The business that I started as a means to obtain a Viper has continued to grow!

So in this way, I can truthfully say that the Viper changed my life!! This is the legacy of Tom Gale, Francois Castaing, Bob Lutz, and Roy Soberg (sp?). What they did made waves that still reverberate today. And wait till the Gen3 coupe comes out, its gonna be a screamer!

Jim C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in the same boat years ago, but I used NSX's at the Acura dealer across the street for motivation. I said as soon as I can afford it I'm getting one of those. Well, as soon as I could afford it I got a Viper instead.

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see how you could lose the motivation. I think it will always be their . I'm 23 and just bought my first Viper a 2000 ACR with only 2k miles. I too have always wanted one . I also have a house , a 2001 ZO6 and a 2004 Hemi. I had to take care of my priorities first the house , winter vehicle (hemi) then when I knew i'd have no trouble buying one , then I bought it .

C

Cyruss304

I'm 20years old french and i have the same goal of you : buy a viper on day...

I became a viper fan in 1992 (i was 9) and now my passion is still alive...

Internet videos, magazines, viper's websites...

I hope you'll (and me) realize your dream.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note to Future Viper Owners:
Don't make the mistake I did by "waiting until I can afford it". Each time I look at the car I am glad that I bought it. Last Sat. I parked the car on the lawn and just stared. (Of course, I'm a little more fanatical than most.) Go ahead, you won't regret it.

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 20years old french and i have the same goal of you : buy a viper on day...

I became a viper fan in 1992 (i was 9) and now my passion is still alive...

Internet videos, magazines, viper's websites...

I hope you'll (and me) realize your dream.

I would think a Viper in France would be a blast. The cab drivers in Paris scare the stuffing out of me. Outside of that the last time I drove up to Paris from Tours (wow, two years ago now..) I was doing a modest 140 clicks in the slow lane and getting passed by everything on the road. Traffic was light and I think I could have aired out the Viper pretty well on that road (A6??) if I had it with me. Beautifil countryside and LeMans too! Hang in there it will be worth it!

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw my first Viper in 1992 on the highway. Have wanted one ever since, but focused on buying our first home..sold it and made enough to buy our "dream home". Then started looking at used ones in 2001. Went to Woodhouse on a Saturday to just "look" at new ones. Came home and the wife looked at my face and said.."You bought a new one didn't you?" To which I replied "Yep!" I didn't plan on buying a new one...it just happened. You'll be surprised the $ you can save by giving up a few things you normally spend $ on and spend it on your dream instead. Oh yea, it doesn't hurt to have a significant other that makes a good living also!! Oooops, forgot the most important key...no kids. :D

C

Cyruss304

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

I would think a Viper in France would be a blast. The cab drivers in Paris scare the stuffing out of me. Outside of that the last time I drove up to Paris from Tours (wow, two years ago now..) I was doing a modest 140 clicks in the slow lane and getting passed by everything on the road. Traffic was light and I think I could have aired out the Viper pretty well on that road (A6??) if I had it with me. Beautifil countryside and LeMans too! Hang in there it will be worth it!

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but now a lot of radar are installed near the road, and you can't drive as speed as you want even if everybody know where are the radar... ;)

With all the taxes in France (especially on fuel) i don't think it is a good idea to drive a Viper in France, that's why i want to live and work in USA after my studies.
Drive viper on US's road &lt;== this is my dream and I make all for sucess it.

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something else you can do is, drive one. This is one thing that I will be doing this spring. I am fortunate enough to have someone like Zoomie that lives a couple minutes away from me that "rents" his Viper, with him in the car for a VERY reasonable price. I am pretty sure that he also rents it on a daily basis as well. If you do not live in or near Maryland, then you can always save a couple $ here and there, and rent one from an exotic car rental place. I don't have a set date to drive one yet but I know it will be soon. I am one of those people that do not smile that often, not sad or anything, just don't smile that much. Having said that, I know that it will take weeks for me to stop after driving the one true American Supercar.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Went to Woodhouse on a Saturday to just "look" at new ones. Came home and the wife looked at my face and said.."You bought a new one didn't you?" To which I replied "Yep!" I didn't plan on buying a new one...it just happened."

It did not just happen...You were "Pembertonized" Like so many of us. LOL :laugh:

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm currently 19, and little money available since I'm buying my dad's '91 Mazda (first car buying experience). I have since lost a good amount of Viper motivation/enthusiasm since moving away from MD and the Viper folk I knew there (I only know one Viper guy in OH). An example is that I was always on this website about every day for 3 years, and I only visit less than once a month. As for keeping the motivation, a good idea was said above, the best way to keep enthusiasm is to get all the media you can, get knowledge, and definitly get to some club events. Another couple things you can do is subscribe to get Viper Magazine and get some Viper models, and if you get duplicates (1:18 scale), you can strip and paint them a different color if that's something you may be interested in. I'm currently preparing to do 3 GTSs and a '98 GTS-R.

Good luck on your upcoming Viper purchase.