MAJOR wheel trouble (overtorqued lugs)

androbud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I did a very stupid thing and now I need any advice I can get. In order to remove the lugs nuts on my car I needed to use a breaker bar. In my infinite wisdom I USED A BREAKER BAR TO PUT THE LUGS BACK ON!!! (I now know that about 80 ft-lbs in more than enough torque to keep the wheels on) I've already broken 2 of the tuner keys trying to get them off and I stripped another one out using an impact wrench. At this point I don't care about destroying the lugs but I need some suggestions on how to get these off. The rims are way too expensive to put nics or chips in so a torch will not work.

Again I know I'm an idiot :(

Thanks for any help

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hammer an impact socket, (thick walled, usually black in color) onto the lug nuts. If you can't remove each lugnut from the socket you'll have to buy a lot of impact sockets. Potentially 1 for each lug.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i cant help ya cause im still amazed ya did THIS.

seriously, my guess is if your dumb enough to do this, you probably should bring it to a mechanic to have it done right before ya hurt yourself.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did this once because I couldn't find a socket large enough for my old Duster upper ball joints. The ball joints unscrewed from the upper a-arm via a large diameter, low height head that only had 4 flats.

First I found a thick wall pipe that would go over the head. Then I welded blobs where the flats would be. If it was loose, I would weld on more blob. Eventually it was tight enough to unscrew them.

In your case, perhaps you can grind a flat or two or three on the side(s) of the remaining lug nut(s). Anything to make it seriously not round. Then take your pipe (or an old socket) and weld blobs inside to match. You are kind of making custom lug nuts and wrench keys. Support the far end of the pipe on a stool or blocks. Use a pipe wrench to rotate the pipe.

Worst comes to worst, you could undo the four bolts on the back of the upright, unbolt the calipers to rotate them out of the way of the arms they mount on, and the wheel + bearing should come off (I just looked at a spare front suspension in the garage, and it looks like you can do this.) Then you could grind off the head of the studs from the back and punch them through.

Good luck!

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to remove stripped lug nuts you will need to contact a mac tool truck or a snap on tool truck, they sell a special tool which is basicly a very very strong socket with ridges in it, this tool is used to remove wheel locks. once the lugs are totaly stripped, this is your best option.

if there not stripped, use a breaker bar, or goto a shop with a 1/2" impact gun.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Studs are realatively easy to replace,
Like Tom said, can loosen entire hub and get enough room to drive out/in new studs which are similar to newer mustangs and go for under $1 each.

At this point, don't worry about studs/lug nuts, just save the wheels.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"mac tool truck or a snap on tool truck, they sell a special tool which is basicly a very very strong socket with ridges in it, this tool is used to remove wheel locks. once the lugs are totaly stripped, this is your best option."

This is the only way to go.

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use a long pipe over the breaker bar to get the leverage to break the bolts loose, usually a 4' long 1" id pipe will work. we do this to break the lugs on big trucks often.

Also you can use a fine tip propane torch ( use mapp gas) and heat the top of the lug, then remove the rest that are good, the heat from the propane torch will not affect the color of the wheel as long as you direct the heat to the top of the lug, and use breaker to loosen.
:eek:

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The studs are some what soft.You can drill thru the center of the lug nut and drill out the stud.It may take several good bits but it does work.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We broke the key to the locking lugs on one of our cars. The tire shop used an impact air hammer or something and basically chiseled them off, charged us $20/wheel. No damage to the wheels at all. Looks like you have lots of options, let us know which one works for ya.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another one - disconnect battery and cover wheels first.

Then weld something to the nut to unscrew it.

I don't know if they come this big, but what about those sockets with all the pins in them? They conform to whatever shape and the pins wedge themselves inside the socket to hold on.